SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

Another emergency - heirloom pie/tart assignment

gellchom
15 years ago

I need your help yet again, everyone -- and I apologize in advance for the longish background.

Almost a year ago, a very dear friend (like a big brother to me from the time we first moved here in '82, and later my law partner, my daughter's godfather, etc.) died suddenly. Among other things, this remarkable man was a terrific cook and host. After he died, his wife (also a dear friend) discovered a stack of disks marked "pie dough" and some bags of sour cherries in the freezer. As he had always done the baking, and she knew I make pies, she gave them to me. A month later, when we gave her a birthday dinner, I did my best to make 2 of his tarts. But I was nervous, because:

- I knew he always used tart tins, and I didn't have any, so I had to use my regular Pyrex pie pans

- I knew he used a different kind of crust than the ordinary flaky kind I do. It tasted richer and crumbly, and I remembered him telling me he patted the dough into the pans rather than rolling it. When I thawed it out, I could see that it wouldn't roll out well, so I patted it into the pie pans the best I could.

- I couldn't remember whether he said he baked the tart shells first or with the filling, like a pie (I *think* the latter, as he sometimes made a lattice, but that may have been a different dough), or for how long and at what temperature

- what a responsibility! The idea was that the pies or tarts or whatever were made by him. I had to be his post-mortem sous chef, but he wasn't there to answer my questions. I was sure that either his wife or their housekeeper of many years who assisted at a zillion dinner parties would know, but they didn't remember. I looked at the two pie/tart recipes I had from him, but they seemed to be a different kind of pastry.

Filling is filling; I didn't worry about that. Sugar, lemon, a little almond, flour, a bit of butter -- it was fine. And the pies/tarts came out okay. But I wanted to do it better the next time.

And now the next time has come: his unveiling is Sunday, and I said I would make 2 tarts. Fortunately, she gave me his tart tins, so that will at least get the look right. (They are the metal kind with the separate bottom.)

But how do I make the tarts? Do I bake the pastry first and cook the filling separately? Either way, how long and at what temperature do I bake the thing?

I know you all will know what to do. Thanks in advance for any advice!

gell

Comments (3)