SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Tart with berries and lemon curd

Lars
11 years ago

I went to the Farmers' Market in Playa Vista this morning and bought a triple pack of berries that I would like to use on a tart. I've had the tart pans since I lived in Venice and have never used them. I got quart cartons each of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries and thought I would make a lemon curd to go under the berries, although my tart pans are only about 3/4 inch high. Here's a recipe from Ina Garten that I was thinking of using, but she did not put fruit on hers. I guess I will have to adjust the recipe to make it fit, but I have one 10" and three 4-1/2" pans. I can make extra crust and then I think the filling would be correct, but I am unsure of what to do with the berries. Do they go on raw, or should they be cooked in syrup? How do you make a glaze for them if they are raw? I would want to use jam or jelly, and I'm sure I can find some in my pantry, but it's not something I use often.

I was thinking of adapting my Cherry Cream Crunch recipe to accommodate berries instead of cherries, but I do not know whether this would be a good idea or not. I have all the ingredients - here is that recipe:

Cherry Cream Crunch
Cherry pie filling:*
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups fresh pitted cherries
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flaked or shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup granola (or oatmeal or rice flakes**)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Lemon filling:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (15 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt

Cherry pie filling:
Combine sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, stir, add cherries, and let sit for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain off and reserve cherry syrup.

Combine a small amount of syrup to cornstarch to make a paste, then stir cornstarch paste back into syrup. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the drained cherries. Cool before using.

Crust:
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add brown sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Sift flour, salt and cinnamon; add to butter mixture. Stir in coconut, granola, and walnuts. Press 2-1/2 cups of crumb mixture into bottom of ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.

Lemon filling:
Prepare the lemon filling by combining the slightly beaten eggs, sweetened condensed milk, grated lemon rind, fresh lemon juice and salt. Stir until mixture thickens. Remove crust from the oven and spread with lemon filling. Spoon the cherry pie filling over the lemon filling and then sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture. Return to oven and bake at 375 degrees 15 to 18 minutes or until delicately browned. Chill before serving. May be served topped with whipped cream. Serves 9 to 12.

*You can substitute 1 can (1 lb 4 oz.) of canned cherry pie filling
**If using oatmeal or rice flakes instead of granola, increase brown sugar to 1/2 cup.

-----------

What would you do to make a tart with the berries that I have? Would you make Ina's lemon curd (or some variation of that), or do you have a different preference. I want something custardy under the fruit, and I was unsure which custard recipe to use.

I also bought some very nice lettuce, celery, and dill at the Farmers' Market, but I did not see any tomatoes, even though I have ripening tomatoes in my yard. We had lunch there also even though it was quite cold for sitting outside (58 degrees) and no heating. Fortunately, it is very sunny and clear today with no wind, and so we were able to endure the temperature. Actually, it felt warm in the sun because I was wearing a navy blue sweat jacket.

Lars

Comments (21)