SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrabbot_gw

exterior paint color - what goes with a brown roof?

jrabbot
15 years ago

Hello,

I don't see a separate forum for exterior work on homes so I am posting here. We have a reproduction salt box colonial house and are changing the color of it from a dark brown to something different. The decision is what color? We have a newer roof (7 Years) on our exisiting house which is Certainteed Weathered Wood. An addition (under const) off the back is the same (well it doesn't exactly match but it's okay).

Our decision is what color paints really go well with this brown roof? When finished, the house will have a very traditional appearance -windows on the front of the existing house will be traditional 5 double hungs (9 over 6) on the second floor and basically 4 double hungs (9 over 9) on the first floor and a center entrance door with pediment.

We have liked yellow for a long time. An antique yellow not the pastel-y or minty yellows. But we see so many new yellow houses (with white or cream trim) with a brown roof and to us there is something that is not right pairing the yellow with brown roof. Most homes (and especially traditional older homes) have a black or gray roof.

So we were thinking of Red as in an antique red, something with brown undertones and a definite creamy or tan trim. Again most red homes have a black or gray roof. (I guess we weren't thinking straight when we replaced our roof in 2001 - we needed it to match our current house and were going for an antique wood roof appearance.)

I've tried the paint web sites (BM) to try colors out but it is just not enough for us to base our decision on.

Any suggestions on what works well with a brown roof? We could always go with the classic antique white but there are so many of those houses.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

jr

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio