SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Any Tips for me on home-made pizza?

stir_fryi SE Mich
13 years ago

I tried one recipe so far that was in the booklet that came with my KA stand mixer -- did not care for it -- the dough was dense and bread like.

Check out the cover of Family Circle (Oct 17th edition) -- the picture of the home-made pizza looks awesome! So, I am going to try again tomorrow.

Would appreciate any advice for a better pizza this time!

Comments (36)

• caliloo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think Ann T's Pizza Dough is superior to any others that I have tried. One of the secrets is to make it a day or so in advance... so you may want to plan ahead.

Alexa

• User
    13 years ago

Stir fryi, you will find a few different views on the perfect pizza.

I've been making homemade pizza since I was 15. Learned from a first generation Italian neighbour. She never measured anything. Just "this" much flour in a bowl, "this" much yeast measured in the palm of her hand, salt, a splash of olive oil and enough water to make the dough.

Over the years I have played around with different recipes and finally just settled on Julia Child's baguette recipe. Makes the perfect crust, which for me is a thin crust with a puffy rim, and the dough is even better if left in the fridge for 2, 3 or even 5 days. The long fermentation really develops the flavour and texture.

I've blogged about pizza a few times on Thibeault's Table.

I prefer to bake the pizza right on a hot stone. If I'm making a really large pizza I start it on a large pizza pan (with holes) and bake it for 5 minutes just to firm it up. I then slide it on to the stone.

French Baguette

Julia Child

1 package dry active yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
    3 1/2 cups unbleached flour (bread flour) (NOTE: I use 4 cups)
    2 1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/3 cups cold water plus 1/3 or so additional water

Place the flour, yeast and salt in the bowl of the food process. Pulse to mix. Add 1 1/3 cups of water and process until the dough comes together. If the dough doesn't form a ball, add a little of the extra water. Process for about 60 seconds, turn off machine and let dough rest for 5 minutes.

Turn on the machine again and rotate the dough about 30 times under the cover, and then remove it to a lightly floured work surface. it should be fairly smooth and quite firm.

Let the dough rest for 2 minutes and then knead roughly and vigorously. The final dough should not stick to your hands as you knead (although it will stick if you pinch and hold a piece); it should be smooth and elastic and, when you hold it up between your hands and stretch it down, it should hold together smoothly.

Preliminary rise - 40 to 60 minutes at around 75°F. Place the dough into a clean dry bowl, (do not grease the bowl), cover with plastic wrap, and set in a warm place free from drafts. (note the French do not grease the bowl because they believe the dough needs a seat to push up from). This first rise is sufficient when the dough has definitely started to rise and is about 1 1/2 times its original volume.

Deflating:

Turn the dough onto your lightly floured work surface roughly and firmly pat and push it out into a 14 inch rectangle. Fold one of the long sides over toward the middle, and the other long side over to cover it, making a 3 layer cushion. Repeat the operation. This important step redistributes the yeast throughout the dough, for a strong second rise. Return the dough smooth side up the bowl; cover with plastic wrap and again set to rise.

Final rise in the bowl - about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer. The bread should be 2 1/2 to 3 times its original bulk. It is the amount of rise that is important here, not the timing.

To Shape,

Cut the dough in half. Set one piece aside and cover with a towel.

On a lightly floured work surface pat the dough into a 14 inch rectangle, squaring it up as evenly as you can.

Fold the rectangle of dough in half lengthwise and using the heel of your hand, firmly press the edges together whether they meet. Seat well. Pound the dough flat. Now repeat - patting the dough out again and folding it over and sealing the edges. Pinch the edges well and Rotate the dough so that the sealed edge in on the bottom.

Repeat with second piece of dough.

Cover with plastic wrap or loosely with a towel and let rise to more than double again at about 75°f.

Place stone in oven and Preheat oven to 450°F. Slash three long cuts into the loaves and place on the hot stone. Immediately toss a number of ice cubes on to the bottom on the oven to create steam. Bake until bread is golden and has an interior temp of 200°F. Takes about 30 minutes.

Making Dough in a Mixer or by Hand

When you are making dough in an electric mixer with a dough hook, proceed in the same general way with the rests indicated, and finish by hand. or mix the dough by hand in a bowl, turn out on a work surface, and start the kneading by lifting it up with a scraper and slapping it down roughly for several minutes until it has body. Let it rest several minutes and then proceed to knead.

My Pizza Sauce
    ===========

1 28 oz can quality Italian Tomatoes
    2 cloves of garlic
    fennel seed
    oregano
    Basil
    2 to 3 Tablespoons olive oil

salt and pepper

Puree tomatoes with the minced garlic. Grind the fennel seeds. Add the seeds and the oregano, basil, and the olive oil and mix together.

NOTE: I use a stick blender and blend all of these ingredients right in the can.

• Related Discussions

a few bread baking tips and the pizza dough recipe

Q

Comments (33)
    I've been reading these and all of trailrunner's post. They are just great. All the hints were great. I bake bread out of boredom, I rarely use a recipe, for better or worse and like the wet doughs as well as quicker higher yeast doughs for pizza. Someday I'll get that "super peel" with the cloth belt thingy. I am forced to pre-cook my thin pizza crusts without one- My favorite bread is an olive bread that is made locally in the East Bay and sold now only at the local Berkeley farmer's market- you can go to their bakery, and they will sell stuff to you, but it's not a store front, no sales help, no hours- if they are there they'll sell it to you- they're also fresh pasta makers- 'Phoenix Pastificio'- if you're ever in the area. I've never tried to make that bread, it's almost Holy to me...( although I know he uses a biga and those black Kalamata olives). It has a thin almost black burnt crust, with large ciabatta holes to the crumb and flavor to die for.
    ...See More

Any tips how to emotionally detach from a home

Q

Comments (27)
    We lived in our home 29 years. It was very hard to leave, but we were moving to our lake house. Noow we've been here 10 years and I still miss the old place, well, mostly the neighborhood. One of the neighbors called me a few years back to tell me, "Your old house is up for sale, now you can move back!" That's one of the reasons I loved our old neighborhood. Another neighbor has hunting property about 30 miles from us, he and his boys come up and I all ways bring them chocolate chip cookies I bake. That close bond we all had I miss.
    ...See More

Selling old house, any tips to sell it fast?

Q

Comments (59)
    We are currently under contract for full asking price (all cash) after 4 days of showings and two offers, so I (smugly) feel qualified to answer this question. This is our third time selling and the second time with a quick sell in a buyer's market. Here's what we did: Interviewed three real estate agents. They all came up with the same selling price, so we chose a flat fee agency and are saving $12,000 in commissions. This agent was very good, took professional pictures, wrote the listing, posted to MLS, dealt with contract negotiations, the whole shebang minus open houses which we didn't want anyway. Super happy with this company. I did research the agent on Realtor.com before choosing him. Took our agent's advice on pricing. We were not in a hurry to sell, looked at the comps, and agreed that our agent had us solidly in the middle of what we could reasonably expect to sell our house for. Through the 9 years we have owned the house, we have updated everything, including having our very small Florida yard professionally landscaped. Fixed everything that was broken Cleaned everything Repainted where we couldn't clean the walls or trim adequately Decluttered, put a bunch of stuff in storage Staged the house nicely Put everything personal away for showings The only things on counters were decorative Bowl of green apples on kitchen counter for a pop of color against the granite Hung fresh white towels that we don't use in the bathrooms Used tasteful artificial flower arrangements in most rooms Fresh mulch in garden beds Refreshed flowers in front borders Trimmed hedges and trees Turned on all of the lights before showings House was spotless for showings (we don't normally live this way, but it's worth it to get top dollar for our house and not prolong the painful selling process) Turned on our Sonos to soft jazz music Got ourselves, our cats, and the litter box out of the house for showings Here's what we didn't do: Neutralize all of the colors in the house. We have earthy tones of blue, green, rust, and aqua in our house, but everything is not beige, white, or gray.. Get rid of curtains (I posted several months ago about this, ultimately decided to keep them) Hire a professional stager Set the table with plates Scent the house with anything We met our buyers on Saturday for the home inspection and asked them what made them want the house. They said: Loved the landscaping Looked professionally staged Clean and inviting Didn't need to do anything to the house Looked well taken care of We are super happy with our experience selling this time, love our buyers, and are looking forward to the May 8 closing!
    ...See More

Favorite Pizza Dough for home pizza oven

Q

Comments (9)
    00 flour won't make any difference if the dough is too wet, other than worsen the problem. The 00 flour is just ground a lot finer than other flour. What matters, regardless of the type of flour you're using, is the proportion of water, flour, and heat. If your dough is extremely wet, you can make it in a pan, but you'll have trouble using a peel. If your dough is not so wet, you'll be able to slide it off the peel having used only a slight dusting of flour. So the key is to get it as wet as possible but still have it be workable. If you want to use 00 flour, that works, but the mechanics are a little different because it absorbs water a little differently. In any case, look for a flour that has a fairly high gluten content. What makes your pizza dough spring is the sudden input of heat onto the dough surface. That heats the water in the dough, which creates steam, which blows up your dough. So you want your oven extremely hot and you want to put your dough on a material that transfers heat really fast. I have not used that Unii but supposedly it gets up to over 900 degrees F, which is fantastic and on par with many professional ovens. You should be able to make phenomenal pizza with that. For a home oven, I use a half-inch piece of steel directly under the broiler. My last stove would get the surface of the steel up to almost 700 degrees, which actually turned out to be too hot. I think the Unii has a stone in it rather than steel, which doesn't transfer heat as efficiently and which is a better material for the temps that oven can produce. in fact, it should be pizza heaven! We've made pizza at home a few times a week for many years and I've done it in a professional setting as well. There are lots of recipes for dough, but basically you want a slightly wet, but not too wet dough. You can start out with say, a cup of water and two cups of flour, and work up to around 2 3/4 cups of flour as needed, but you'll never want that much. Some people say to weigh the ingredients and go for a 65% hydration or even more if you can, but weighing or measuring really isn't the point - you need to be able to tell by feel and not by measuring. That's how people cooked for centuries anyway. A couple of other things - you should let your dough rest for a while once you mix in the water. It takes time for each granule of flour to become hydrated, and your dough will be a lot better if you give it some rest time. Anything from five or ten minutes to a few hours will help. Or do a sponge method, where you mix the yeast, water, and some flour a day early and let that bubble up, then add the rest of the flour, the next day. Remember that 00 flour absorbs water faster and it also burns faster in your oven, so you'll need to play with your timings and ratios. And if you use whole wheat for part of the flour, you can let the dough stay a little wetter than you might otherwise - the bran will take a longer time to absorb water and once it rises, it won't be so wet and sticky. So this is a long way of saying what someone above said much more eloquently - try adding a little more flour or less water. But be careful - you don't want too much flour or your crust won't be as good. Just a sprinkling of flour, work that, and if you need more, add another sprinkling. And remember that your dough will feel wetter when you set it to rise than it will once it's risen, particularly if you let it rise in the fridge overnight or for a couple of days. If you work with cold dough, it's a lot easier to handle. And finally it's your preference. Some people like a Neapolitan type crust, which is floppy and soft with a crisp cornicione, which is the thick part at the outer edge of the crust. Some people like what they call New York style, which is a thicker crust that you can hold up and which a lot of New Yorkers like to fold over lengthwise. That's a dumb move btw, and I can say that as a New Yorker, but you end up channeling the grease onto your shirt. Anyhow, best of luck!
    ...See More
  • grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

It seems like homemade pizza dough is as varied as the folks who make it. Do you want to bake it on a pan or stone? Thin or thick? Chewy or crispy? Wholegrain, or not? There are all kinds of recipes and I suggest trying a variety of them until you find your favorite/s.

"Dense" sounds like your dough may have needed more hydration (water). I prefer a slack dough, to a stiff dough, and pat the dough out for a thin pizza. Your recipe may have been enough dough for a 16-inch pan and you used a 12-inch pan.

I oil my hands for handling the dough and patting it out into pans. You can use the amount of dough necessary for the thickness you desire. If you have too much dough, make some small free-form crusts on a baking sheet, or use small 8-inch pizza pans for individual-sized crusts and par-bake them (I bake them until they just start to brown).

We have a homemade pizza nearly every Sunday night. It's a great way to use up small portions of meat and clean veggies out the crisper drawer.

I usually make pizza crusts ahead of time on 8-inch pans, par-bake them and have a stack of them in the freezer. I make a sourdough version of pizza dough using (homemade) kefir as the "starter", freshly-milled white whole wheat flour, high-maize resistant starch, flaxmeal and ground chia seeds - to increase the fiber and nutrition. Not your traditional crust....

-Grainlady

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

ann_t (or anyone else who can help;): Your recipe looks wonderful! I have just started to try baking breads and have found it to be quite challenging. I have a breadmaker which I am now trying to use for just the dough making process. (When I first got the machine I did the whole bread making process in the machine, but found the results to be limited and only satisfactory.)

I am now trying to find my "perfect pizza crust" and yours looks like it might be it. I was just wondering how one would adjust this to use a breadmaker for the dough making part. I'm sure other experts would be able to figure this out easily, but I'm finding I really need precise instructions and don't trust myself to figure this out myself.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

• User
    13 years ago

I think that most bread machines will hold at least 4 cups of flour. Many years ago, I used a bread machine to knead up to 6 cups of flour. I just added the flour, yeast, salt and water, turned on the machine and let it knead. Once the kneading was done I either reset the machine to continue kneading if need be or removed the dough and let it rise and then proceeded to make bread/pizza.

If you aren't baking in the machine, you don't need to worry about any special process.

Ann

• sonopoly
    13 years ago

Thanks, Ann -- that is very helpful. I never thought of putting the dough through an additional kneading cycle. I really appreciate the quick and thoughtful response!

• lindac
    13 years ago

If you need a second....that's the recipe I use for pizza dough too!
    By sauce is a bit different....and lots more work...I simmer mine with chopped onion and red wine and some tomato paste....Ann's is easier...

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

We make Teresa's recipe. It makes enough for 4 pizzas, and we freeze them and take them out whenever we want pizza. It is fast and easy. One smallish pizza feeds both of us cause we cover it with lots of yummy toppings.
    This is the recipe she taught us at Bread Camp several years ago.
    5 cups AP flour
    1 Tb sugar or honey (we use honey)
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp instant yeast
    2 Tbs olive oil
    1-3/4 to 2 cup room temp water
    Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon or mix with electric mixer. After all ingredients are combined, set the dough aside to rest for 5 minutes.
    Stir again for 3-5 minutes, adding more water or flour if necessary. Generally speaking, you want the dough to be wetter and stickier than your typical bread dough. It should be dry enough that it holds together and pulls away from the side of the bowl when you mix it, but doesn't need to be dry enough to knead by hand.
    Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Place each into an oiled freezer bag. Just squirt a couple of sprays of spray oil into the bag. You can also brush the outside of the dough with olive oil and then place into the bag. All that matters is that you be able to get the dough out of the bag later.
    If you aren't going to bake them the same day, you can throw the bags into the freezer. They will keep for at least a month.
    Pull out and thaw and voila! (They take only about an hour to thaw)
    This recipe makes 4 10" pizzas.
    Sherry

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is Weed's Pizza Sauce for Missouri-style pizza - which I now use as "my" pizza sauce for my homemade pizza - my style.

Weed's Missouri pizza thread:

1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes, diced fine
    6 oz. can tomato paste
    1 1/2 TB sugar
    1 t. crushed dried basil
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. dried thyme

Mix together, let sit, do not cook. Makes enough sauce for 4 pizzas. Any sauce not used can be frozen in 1 cup portions.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

(Teresa nc7 and I will both foam at the mouth, promoting 6 in 1 brand tomatoes)

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grainlady -- I do feel like it was too much dough for my pan although I used the size pan the recipe called for.

• User
    13 years ago

I just have to tell you my experience. I tried all kinds of pizza dough recipes, and most have failed. What I have decided was the best & easiest is the walmart brand or I think its Martha White, pizza mix in a package. So easy & its good too. I also bought the pizza dough in a can, its more expensive but it was very good.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Yeah, pizza is like meatloaf, spaghetti, chili or beef stew. There are a uncounted methods, quirks, differences and variations and everybody has their favorite.

For a quickie, I want it on the spur of the moment and don't want to fuss pizza, I must confess that the store-bought Boboli crusts work for me. The large double pack comes with the pizza skin and a pouch of decent enough sauce...I can add a few herbs as I choose. I put on my own good cheese and toppings, bake it on a stone and it's a better darn pizza (cheaper too!) than any pizza place in town makes, let alone delivers.

I have tried a number of different recipes for pizza skins, and most have been fine, some better than others of course. Frankly, a good loaf of French bread, cut lengthwise and with some of the soft part scooped out is pretty tasty done Pizza-Style.

However, Ann T, that crust looks just like the sort I really like, I will have to give it a try.

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Stir Fryi:

There is no big secret for making a good Pizza Dough, it is Basic.
    I've been making Pizza for about 62 years, baked in Pans ,
    on a Stone, in outdoor wood fired ovens, etc.

Not bragging just telling my credentials like others.

An alterative to baking on a stone is to use pans.
    A 12 inch round pizza will take from 8 to 12 ounces of dough. According to thickness you want. After the dough is made weigh it out and roll into balls. Oil the pans and place a dough ball in the pan , smooth side up and flatten slightly, working the dough towards the side of the pan, with the palms.
    Then let it rest a few minutes. Repeat this every so often until the dough reaches the side and up, enough for a crust about 1/2 inch. Let it raise slightly , pinch the dough all over, with a fork and put into the oven to bake at 400 deg. If it bubbles while baking pinch it with a fork again. When light tan specks show ,take them out onto a rack to cool fast. Then you can use them right away or freeze , to use later.

When baking the Pizza, place the Pre Baked dough back in the oiled pan ,
    Or cook on your Stone.

Put a latel of sauce on the dough and swish it around, sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano , put it in the oven for a few minutes. Take it out and spread the topping of your choice and the Cheese Topping.
    A good topping cheese is a mixture of Mozzarella and Provolone chopped and mixed.
    The Provolone gives it a good flavor and doesn't get like rubber when it cools a little.

I use all Provolone.
    A little trick for baking. Keep a cup of water and brush handy, to baste parts that are cooking too fast.
    If you can get new metal pans, (uncoated) they have to be cured in the oven, so they won't stick. Coat them with oil and bake them for at least 6 hours. Never clean them with soap and water. Just rinse with water & wipe with a paper towel.

Dough recipe:
    1 cup of warm water (not hot)
    1 Package of Active Dry yeast, 1 tablesp sugar ,in a half cup of warm water. Let it rise.
    1/4 Cup of Veg. Oil
    1 teasp.Salt
    About 3 1/2 cups Flour
    1/2 cup of Whole wheat flour or up to 1 cup
    Place in a mixing bowl, the Water, 1 cup of flour, wheat flour , yeast if risen
    Add the oil and salt and more flour.
    Add enough flour to make a soft ball of dough, that doesn't stick to your hands.
    Knead until smooth. Put it back in the bowl , Smooth side up and Rub on some Veg. Oil
    Cover and set in a warm place to rise until it doubles in bulk.
    I put it in a warm oven, Covered with a damp towel. Place a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf
    It will rise in about 1 hour.
    When doubled, punch it down and knead it well.
    Divide into Balls , about 11 to 12 ounces and place in oiled pans. 12” round
    Dough should be about 3/16 “ thick on the bottom and about 1/2” around the edge.
    For Sicilian Pizza , I used most of the dough in a 11” X 16” pan
    Follow the previous instructions.
    Good luck, Lou

Here is a Sicilian Pizza with just Cheese.

This is the size I make most of the time ( 10 inch ), because it fits in my Toaster Oven.

As one can see there is no problem getting a light,crispy, tender Crust.
    The thickness is your own personal choice.
    If you want a Pizza Sauce Recipe, I'll post it.
    Thanks, Lou

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Like Alexa and many others, I've used AnnT's recipe - IMHO, it is the best. I also like to leave the dough in the fridge for a day or two to improve the flavor and texture that much more. You definitely won't be sorry with the results!

Lori

• anoriginal
    13 years ago

A little OT intro. As a kid, remember Chef Boy-R-Dee pizza "kits". Packet of flour mixture that needed water, little can of sauce, and envelope of cheese. Thought they were history, but found them again to share with niece when she came over.

I sorta go with the recipe from the KA stand mixer cookbook. Sister gave me a pint jar of yeast that I've been dipping into for a while... it lives in freezer. WHY is a packet of dry yeast 2.5 t instead of a T?? Just put a T of yeast with warm water (maybe a cup), a pinch of salt and sugar, and a glug of olive oil and just let dough hook do it's thing.

Have a Calphalon perforated pizza pan and just slide crust with topping on and into oven preheated to as high as it will go. Maybe 12-15 minutes!?!

Have fond memories of homemade pizza with former neighbors. Three of the 4 of us were teachers so snow days were SPECIAL. They always made homemade pizza on snow days. Remember snow drifted up against front doors. We had a beer meister in basement. Had to go out back door, climb our fence to get out, and climb their fence to get back in. Good times!

• dlynn2
    13 years ago

There is one major problem with AnnT's pizza dough ---- I eat too much of it! I absolutely love it!!! I had to ask my DH to stop making it. I love that dough raw, as bread, and as pizza dough. It's the easiest and best recipe we've ever found. It's exactly how we like ours. Thank you, Ann, for sharing with us.

• marys1000
    13 years ago

Is there any hope for a pizza dough you can just make and use? I don't make bread and don't understand yeast and I never plan ahead.

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Marys1000, many places sell bags of pizza dough in the cold case. I have seen it at Trader Joe. You might be able to buy it at a take-and-bake pizza place, too. Ask around.

• lindac
    13 years ago

You can get perfectly satisfactory pizza dough without the aging....just mix up Ann's dough, let it rest for 10 minutes, so it doesn't keep snapping back, and pat it into your pan.
    Better, easier and lots cheaper than frozen dough.
    Linda C

• User
    13 years ago

Of course Mary, you can make the dough and use it the same day.

The baguette dough makes a wonderful pizza crust , as good as any you will find. I bake bread at least once a week so I just make enough to have pizza later in the week.

Unlike Linda though, I do let the dough go through the two rises before using.

Ann

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Linda, I wasn't referring to frozen dough. I often see dough in bags in the cold case, not the freezer section. I haven't tried it but from Trader Joe's it likely won't have HFCS or other strange things.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Klseiverd, what's a beer meister? I remember those kits, but I don't think my mom ever bought them.

I don't think I've used the same recipe twice...well, maybe I have. I think I've used Jack Bishop's recipe a few times, and King Arthur's recipe a few times, and Emeril's once. Oh, and I've made focaccia as a kind of pizza base, too. But I think I'll try Ann's today. But a question, first. If I make the dough today, will it keep in the fridge till Friday, or is that too long to refrigerate it?

Here's the recipes I've done. I like the King Arthur recipe because it's good for making in advance.

Now or Later Pizza
    from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

Dough

1 3/4 cups (7 3/8 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour*
    1 1/4 cups (7 1/8 ounces) semolina*
    (* use 3 cups all purpose flour if you don't have semolina)
    2 tablespoons dough relaxer (optional, but helpful) (my note - I think that's one of their tricks to get the reader to order products from them. I see it in a lot of their recipes, and just ignore it.)
    1 teaspoon instant yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) olive oil
    1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups (10 to 12 ounces) water

Mix and knead together all the dough ingredients - by hand or mixer - until you've created a smooth, soft dough. don't overknead the dough; it should hold together but look fairly rough on the surface.

Cover and let the dough rise for 45 minutes, then refrigerate it for 4 hours (or up to 36 hours); this step will develop the crust's flavor.

Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a 9- to 12-inch round (thicker or thinner crust) and place each on a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Cover the dough and let it rest while you heat the oven (and baking stone) to 500 degrees F.

After about 30 minutes, use a giant spatula or pizza peel to transfer the pizzas and parchment to your hot oven stone; or place the pizzas and parchment on a pan and place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 4 minutes, then remove from the oven.

To make your pizza now: Top the pizza with your favorite toppings, return to the lowest rack of the oven (not to the stone), and bake for an additional 8 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbly.

To make your pizza later: Remove the parchment, cool the un-topped crusts, wrap them well in plastic wrap, and refrigerate (for up to 5 days) or freeze (for up to 4 weeks). When you're ready to serve remove the crusts from the refrigerator or freezer and heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Top them with your favorite toppings and place them on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet, then into the oven. Bake the pizzas on the lowest rack of the oven (not on a stone) for 8 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbly.

Here's a whole wheat pizza dough recipe from Jack Bishop

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
    from The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook by Jack Bishop

1 1/3 cups warm water (105 - 115 degrees F)
    2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 envelope)
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    Cornmeal for sprinkling

1. To make the dough in a food processor: Pour the water into the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the yeast and oil and process for several seconds until smooth. Add the whole wheat and all-purpose flours and salt and process until the dough comes together in a ball, about 30 seconds.

To make the dough by hand: Combine the water, yeast and oil in a large bowl, using a wood spoon. Add the whole wheat and all-purpose flours and salt and continue to stir until the dough comes together. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes.

To make the dough in a standing mixer: Combine the water, yeast and oil in the large bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Stir in the whole wheat and all-purpose flours and salt. When the dough comes together, replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.

2. Turn the dough into a lightly oiled large bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise until the dough is puffy and has increased in bulk by 1 1/2 times, about 1 hour. Divide the dough in half and place each half in a separate lightly oiled medium bowl. Let rise, covered, for 20 minutes. (The dough can be refrigerated in separate airtight containers overnight or frozen for up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature before rolling out.)

3. Lightly sprinkle a pizza peel or large rimless baking sheet with cornmeal. Flatten 1 dough ball into an 8-inch disk. Pat the disk several times to level out the dough. Slowly rotate the disk, stretching the dough to the side as you turn it. Thin the edge by flattening and stretching it with your fingertips. The circle of dough should have a diameter of about 12 inches.

4. Top and bake the pizza as desired. Repeat with the second dough ball, if using.

Finally, here's a couple of Emeril's I've made, and were quite good. These are complete recipes for pizzas.

Pizza Ai Funghi
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006

Prep Time:15 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:45 min
    Level: Intermediate
    Serves: 2 (14-inch) thin crust pizzas, serving 4 to 6

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    10 cups sliced assorted mushrooms
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 recipe basic pizza dough, rolled out for 2 (14-inch) pizzas, recipe follows
    Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peels
    1 pound Taleggio or fontina cheese, rind removed, coarsely grated or diced
    Kosher salt, for garnishing
    Finely grated Parmesan, for garnishing
    Chopped fresh oregano, marjoram, or parsley leaves for garnishing
    Directions
    Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and, when hot, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms have released their liquid and have begun to soften. Add the parsley and thyme and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and all liquid has been evaporated.

While the mushrooms are cooking, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and, if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.

Place the rolled out pizza dough onto 2 pizza peels (or on the back of 2 large baking sheets), using cornmeal to help facilitate moving the dough.

Divide the mushrooms evenly between the 2 dough rounds and top with the grated Taleggio. Bake the pizzas, 1 at a time if necessary, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the pizzas are golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melted and golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with kosher salt, Parmesan, and chopped herbs, to taste. Serve immediately.

Basic Pizza Dough:
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
    Pinch sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
    2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if necessary
    Cornmeal, as necessary, for dusting pizza peel
    In a large bowl combine yeast with water and sugar and stir well to combine. Set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, olive oil, and half of the flour and mix well to thoroughly combine. Add all remaining flour except 1/2 cup and mix well with your hands, working to incorporate the flour little by little. The dough should be slightly sticky to the touch. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead dough for at least 5 and up to 7 minutes, adding enough additional flour as necessary to form a smooth and elastic dough that is not sticky. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled 2 or 3-quart bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, usually at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.

Divide dough into 2 portions (for 2 (12 to 14-inch) pizzas and form into balls. (See note below for calzones.) Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface, shape as desired and roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Transfer dough to a pizza peel (sprinkle with cornmeal to help facilitate moving dough) and top with toppings of choice. Transfer to the preheated pizza stone and bake until crispy and golden brown, usually12 to 18 minutes (depending on the toppings and the thickness of the crust). Remove from the oven with a metal peel or spatula and serve immediately.

Yield: 2 (12 or 14-inch) pizzas or 4 calzones, serving 4 to 6

Note: For calzones, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and form into 4 balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll out into 4 (8-inch) circles. Place filling of choice in the center of 1 side of each circle, then fold dough over filling to meet edges of filled side. Crimp edges with a fork or your fingers, then cut a small slit in the top of the calzone to allow steam to escape while cooking. Cook on a preheated pizza stone or backs of cookie sheets in a preheated 475 degree F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until well-browned. Remove from the oven with a metal peel or spatula and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 calzones

Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Mon Oct 11 2010© 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

Pizza Alla Napoletana
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006
    Prep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: 12 min, Cook Time: 15 min
    Level: Intermediate
    Serves:
    2 (14-inch) thin-crust pizzas, serving 4 to 6

Ingredients
    • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 recipe basic pizza dough, rolled out for 2 (14-inch) pizzas, recipe follows
    • Cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peels
    • 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, diced
    • 3 tablespoons olive oil
    • 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
    • 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
    • Kosher salt
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and, if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
    Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and place in a strainer or colander set over a bowl to drain. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tomatoes have released some of their liquid. Place the rolled out pizza dough onto 2 pizza peels or the backs of 2 cookie sheets, using cornmeal, as necessary, to help facilitate moving the dough. Sprinkle the tomatoes evenly over both rounds of dough, scatter the diced cheese, then drizzle each pizza with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown around the edges and the tomatoes are lightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the oregano and basil. Bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the pizza is crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with kosher salt before serving. Serve immediately.

Basic Pizza Dough:
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
    Pinch sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
    2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if necessary
    Cornmeal, as necessary, for dusting pizza peel
    In a large bowl combine yeast with water and sugar and stir well to combine. Set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, olive oil, and half of the flour and mix well to thoroughly combine. Add all remaining flour except 1/2 cup and mix well with your hands, working to incorporate the flour little by little. The dough should be slightly sticky to the touch. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead dough for at least 5 and up to 7 minutes, adding enough additional flour as necessary to form a smooth and elastic dough that is not sticky. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled 2 or 3-quart bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, usually at least 1 hour.
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
    Divide dough into 2 portions (for 2 (12 to 14-inch) pizzas and form into balls. (See note below for calzones.) Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface, shape as desired and roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Transfer dough to a pizza peel (sprinkle with cornmeal to help facilitate moving dough) and top with toppings of choice. Transfer to the preheated pizza stone and bake until crispy and golden brown, usually12 to 18 minutes (depending on the toppings and the thickness of the crust). Remove from the oven with a metal peel or spatula and serve immediately.
    Yield: 2 (12 or 14-inch) pizzas or 4 calzones, serving 4 to 6
    Note: For calzones, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and form into 4 balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll out into 4 (8-inch) circles. Place filling of choice in the center of 1 side of each circle, then fold dough over filling to meet edges of filled side. Crimp edges with a fork or your fingers, then cut a small slit in the top of the calzone to allow steam to escape while cooking. Cook on a preheated pizza stone or backs of cookie sheets in a preheated 475 degree F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until well-browned. Remove from the oven with a metal peel or spatula and serve immediately.
    Yield: 4 calzones
    Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Mon Oct 11 2010
    © 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

Now, after all that, I'm off to start a batch of AnnT's dough!

Sally

• User
    13 years ago

Sally, I often make the bread dough on Monday, making a double or triple batch of dough, bake 3 or 4 loaves of bread and leave the remainder in the fridge until I bake pizza, Friday or Saturday.

I do let the dough go through at least one if not two rises before putting it in the fridge.

Ann

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Ann t.........I am in a lather to try your crust! And am thinking about making one pizza the first day, and then one a few days later so as to see what the difference is between fresh and "aged" dough for myself. (My husband will be in ecstasy..pizza two nights in a week!) But, do you stow it in the fridge after the first rising or the second? Since the recipe is actually for baguettes and doesn't mention refrigeration at all, I wasn't sure.

I'm also interested in freezing pizza skins for future use as pizza is something I tend to want when I'm frazzled and rushed for dinner. Would you let it rise twice, then shape crusts and freeze them, letting them rise as they defrost before use or let it rise once, shape it, and let the defrost-rise be the second?

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks, Ann. I was just checking back in to re-read your advise on using the dough for pizza, and for refrigerating it, You read my mind and answered my question before I asked it!

Sally

• User
    13 years ago

Rachelellen, because I usually make a double or triple batch, I let the dough go through two rises before dividing it up and refrigerating some of it. It will continue to rise in the fridge and sometimes I actually have to knock it down the next day before it takes the top off the dough pail.

The best way to freeze is to partially bake your crusts. Let the dough go through both rises. Then bake just long enough to set and firm up the dough. Really all you need is about five minutes on a hot stone. Let the rounds cool and then freeze.

Ann

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Thanks! :D

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I was very happy with my pizza this time -- much better than my first attempt. The only real difference between the two recipes is this one called for 1 tsp of sugar and a two hour rise instead of 1 hour. My dough did rise a lot more this time than last.

I admit I still am confused by my mixer. Just like when I made pretzels, the dough will finally cling to the dough hook -- but only for a short time -- then it "falls off" to the bottom of the bowl again. Is it still kneading when it at the bottom of the bowl and not on the hook itself???

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Just to point out that October is national Pizza Month.

And yesterday was Columbus Day.

dcarch

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Another tip when making pizza: don't load down the pizza with a ton of toppings. You can use many different items, just use them sparingly. The crust and sauce flavors will shine through better under less stuff on top. Americans overload their pizza much more than Italians or other Europeans.

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Stir fryi:
    Yes it is still kneading. You can take it out on to a floured worktop, to finish kneading.
    That way you can get the right feel of the dough and the right amount of flour.
    You want it to be soft but not sticky.

Did you read my thread ? Forgot to add, I had a Pizzeria,
    in the 60's.

Teresa: Another tip !
    I also bake the Pizza with just the Sauce, for a few minutes, then add the toppings.

LOU

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Dcarch:
    Thanks for the reminder, " Pizza Month "
    Now I'll have to try something different.
    Maybe a Calzon pizza.

Stir Fryi:

Here is something you can try too !!! It's easy.

Lou’s Calzonpizza - Tutorial

For this Pizza I used a lightly oiled , 11x16 Cookie Tin

Rolled the dough out to about 3/16 inch thickness and 3 inches larger than the Tin , all around.
    Then laid it over the Tin.

Next I laid all the goodies around the inside perimeter of the Tin.
    On the far side is simmered Broccoli Stir Fries w Shrimp on top.
    In Forefront is cut Cooked Salami and Pepperoni w pieces of Cheese on top.
    Left side is Cooked Sausage. Right side is cut up Meatballs.
    I dribbled some Spaghetti Sauce all around.

Then I folded the dough that was on the outside of the Tin,
    over all the goodies and into the center of the pizza, and
    pressed the edges down to seal it.

Next I spooned the Sauce over the Dough ( I used my Spaghetti Sauce ) and
    sprinkled on the shredded Provolone and Cheddar cheese mixture,
    all ready for the oven.

Baked it at 400 Degrees for about 30 minutes.

Took it out of the Pan and onto the Pizza Stone, for the last 15 minutes.
    For the last 5 minutes ,I laid Pepperoni over half.

LOU

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Need another picture

{{gwi:2069039}}

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Everyone needs one of this:-)

dcarch

pizza

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

Pizza stone, parchment paper, really hot oven. I crank mine up to 500.

I pat my dough out on the parchment paper & prebake the crust for about 5 minutes. Prick the crust before it goes into the oven. Remove the crust, brush w/ olive oil, slather w/ crushed garlic. Then sauce, toppings, more garlic & cheese & bake into the oven for probably another 8 minutes.

The parchment paper is great for sliding the pizza off of the pizza peel and onto & off of the baking stone.

I used Lou's pizza dough recipe last time (I like Lou's recipe, esp. for the times when pizza is kinda' a last minute thing & I didn't plan ahead & make dough ahead of time), topped it with "Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce"--a recipe I found over on the Harvest forum and some Italian Sausage, red & green bell peppers, precooked eggplant slices (cooked in the microwave til they were starting to get soft) and a pound of mozarella, a light sprinkle of oregano & about 1/2 c. freshly grated romano cheese. Turned out very good. DS #1 said, "Don't lose this recipe!"