SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Ready for Christmas(?) Long

runninginplace
19 years ago

Hi all-well, here we are down to the wire and the countdown, as it were!

I'm feeling okay about everything. My gifts have been purchased and almost all wrapped. I will make a quick early morning trip out tomorrow-have to buy the groceries for Xmas dinner as my family is coming to our house. We'll be, let's see, 12 which is not bad. This time (as opposed to my mountain of T'giving dishes) I'm using plastic plates, paper napkins and maybe even disposable cups. Heck, we're doing a buffet on the patio and as my sister said, I've already hauled out the fancy dinner performance gear for turkey day-this is just the sisters, menfolk and kids and none of us care. Anyway, that plus a Target run for a few things and maybe a very quick peek at JCPenney's (I've got a ten buck certificate so may get my daughter a makeup kit for five dollars on sale) and I can hunker down for the rest of the holiday weekend. Oh, wait, one stop at Northern Tools for a gift card for my son, to go toward an engine for the new chopper he's building-don't ask.

A few things to wrap, but the tree looks bountiful with lots of presents under there already. I had a shock when I FINALLY did my holiday expense spreadsheet and found I'm a couple of hundred dollars over my general budget limit. Gulp. I realized when I hit sum on the Excel page that my shopping really needs to be *over*!

The kids have been out of school all week. I love them being old enough so this means less work for my husband and me, not more :). Haven't fixed a "tablecloth dinner" as my daughter calls our nightly meal, since last Thursday night. Have done a bit more driving around with their various tasks (meetings, haircuts, volunteer work) but that's okay.

The house looks wonderful, if I do say so myself. I decided to decorate with what I love now, so with a few items from Target and Martha Stewart's Kmart holiday line, I now have holiday colors of silver and white and touches of gold instead of the random mish mash of stuff I've hauled out for many years. I can sit in the evening in front of the tree, and just feel so peaceful and happy to have this home and this family. I really feel the spirit of the season more this year, I think. We've lost some close friends in the past couple of years and more and more I realize the importance of cherishing this time, this place, and the people we love who are here with us. I know it won't always be this way so I find myself whispering mentally 'stop, appreciate this'. I think Carly Simon was right-these are the good old days.

How is everyone else doing? I hope all the rushing and craziness is winding down for all of us trying-to-be-organized people on the group. It's the weight of making a holiday, I know, that can crush the sturdiest of us. I hope everyone is blooming, not wilting, about now!

Ann

Comments (5)