SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thekrew

Putting fasteners into sun-dried brick?

TheKrew
18 years ago

Hello!

We just bought an older brick home (circa 1900) that has exterior walls about 14" thick and the two interior entry foyer walls are about 10" thick and run the length of the house.

We were told that the brick is of the sun-dried variety and is apparently more fragile than kiln-dried.

I'm interested in hanging pictures and mirrors and such, but since we know nothing about brick, my husband and I are hesitant to put nails or other fasteners into the walls, because most of the "wall space" is indeed brick, covered with paint outside and with plaster and paint inside.

My husband is afraid of doing damage to the brick, but I can't imagine going our whole stay here (could be two, could be twenty years!) with blank walls, so we're seeking someone who might be able to advise or at least point out some resources on the proper care and keeping of sun-dried brick. :-)

FWIW, there are already holes from the previous owner's artwork. As people, they are wonderful and interesting to know, but after seeing some of the wiring and other things up close, we're not taking for granted that anything they did to the mechanics or structure was "OK".

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Kim :-)

Comments (2)