SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

Choosing exterior French doors for Victorian cottage

flatcoat2004
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I bought my little Victorian house in San Francisco a couple years ago, it was in truly awful shape. I am slowly fixing things, and the time has come to build a new deck (there is no existing deck). To access the deck, I need to replace existing windows with French doors. They will be outswing.

The decision that I am struggling with is what type of French doors to buy. The house is circa 1900, and most of the house has beautiful old wooden picture windows or double-hungs (all single-glazed). I would dearly love to install 10-lite wooden French doors with beveled glass, but most people seem to go with Andersens/Marvins/Pellas. As well as being much more expensive than wooden single-paned French doors, I am not really sure if I need the super-duper insulation that these doors provide, considering that the rest of the house is single-glazed, and I live in a fairly mild (if damp) climate.

I don't know much about doors etc, but would love to hear what people here think. Thanks for any advice/opinions !

Comments (4)