SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner_2009

Mice!

newhomeowner-2009
14 years ago

So I bought my old farmhouse (built in 1920, expanded 1938) in the Catskill Mountains a year ago. We use it mainly as a weekend and seasonal retreat. We're in a largely wooded area. All was well until, this fall, mice!

I'm told that these are a seasonal problem in the Catskills, and that I may actually have voles. Our cat presented us with a couple of dead ones a few weeks ago, and last week, returning after an absence of a couple of weeks, we found the kitchen counters covered with dropping and a mouse at one point ran around the living room. Yecch! I hate rodents.

So I bought at the Home Depot a couple of those electronic devices that emit an ultrasonic sound, but everyone tells me those are a waste of money and I've got to go ahead and tackle those mice. We're back in the city now, so I don't know if there has been any renewed invasion.

Now, as an apartment dweller in NYC living in a very old building, I have successfully kept out mice with steel wool. But I don't know for the life of me where these critters are coming in from. I see no cracks or holes down in the basement. Maybe some have taken up residence in the basement? We do have some newspapers and lots of old cardboard boxes.

Anyway, aside from the obvious (getting rid of those papers and boxes), what's the accepted means to get rid of or keep out these things? I hear that poison will result in dead mice and stench. Traps, particularly glue ones, give me the willies. Help!

Hey, I'm not squeamish in general, just about rodents.

Comments (15)