SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samkaren_gw

Need Your Help (Honest Opinion)

samkaren
12 years ago

My interview for the job on campus is on Wednesday. Since I am 0 for 4 I wanted your honest opinions on some of my answers to the questions they usually ask.

Tell us a little about yourself:

I start by saying that DH and I moved to the area 3 years ago from Joliet. Then I tell them that I have been an Admin Asst for over 20 years, worked at Lewis for 14 and the number of departments i worked for. I then tell them that I have been in my department for 3 years.

In one word how would your boss describe you:

Dependable

Your best asset:

My work ethic....I enjoy coming to work and doing the best job I can.

Your weakness:

Dark chocolate (just a little humor) and that I can't learn everything as quickly as I want to.

Why did you apply for this position:

I am looking for longevity and a position that I can pretty much stay at until retirement.

I do say more than what I wrote but wanted to give you an idea.

Do you think I am saying the right things?

I also go into the interview with a positive attitude and a professional look (attire)

Please give me your honest opinions. I really want this job.

SamKaren

your resident DJ

Comments (38)

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Could you be telling them too much? Maybe something like I have had extensive training in the job you are offering, but leave out the # of years at each job. I am willing to learn new tasks (or whatever they call it now). As to what your previous boss thinks of you, maybe something like willing to work with others, positive attitude, enjoys working with the public (if you do this) etc. Best asset, I do the best I can, and my private life does not come to work with me- why did you apply? I enjoy working and hope to continue expanding my field with new technology. --or something to that general thought.

This is from me to you--I have been out of the work field many years, but I really enjoy reading the reasons why people get jobs or why they don't on the Internet. Also I have friends who are really struggling and as a outsiders I tried to help, but they don't even listen, even though they might disagree 100%.
    I hope others have better ideas to guide you to a good job.
    Marie

• mimi_boo
    12 years ago

"I start by saying that DH and I moved to the area 3 years ago from Joliet. Then I tell them that I have been an Admin Asst for over 20 years, worked at Lewis for 14 and the number of departments i worked for. I then tell them that I have been in my department for 3 years." - I would leave out the number of departments you worked for. Stating that you were with one employer for 14 years looks great! Leave it at that.

"In one word how would your boss describe you:
    Dependable" - I wouldn't change this at all.

"Your best asset:
    My work ethic....I enjoy coming to work and doing the best job I can. " - Same here - excellent answer

"Your weakness:
    Dark chocolate (just a little humor) and that I can't learn everything as quickly as I want to. " - I like the humor - but I would change your 'real' answer. Maybe something inadvertantly positive... don't say 'can't', rather say, "while I love learning new things, sometimes the learning curve takes me a little longer"... or "I am very task oriented and tend not to delegate as much as I should"... something like that.

"Why did you apply for this position:
    I am looking for longevity and a position that I can pretty much stay at until retirement." - I would change this answer to start with something specific for the position, like you are looking for a new challenge, or looking foward to working with this department - again, something positive. You can also state that you are looking for a long term position but I wouldn't mention retirement. It puts a negative twist on you answer.

Every answer should be something positive. How can you fit yourself into their exact needs. They need to leave your interview wondering "how did we ever do without her"?!!

Good luck!

• Related Discussions

Need honest opinions

Q

Comments (16)
    We had a different but similar situation here. We were fighting the legislature in our state to keep our rural schools open. We were all for the cuase. Many of us carried petitions and we managed to get the law moved to the ballot but it fell short in that the law took affect before the state's residents got a chance to vote. Still we continued to fight in any way we could. Then a few, who had started the petition drives etc. decided that big name attorneys should be hired to continue the battle. What ended the fight for me was when they sent an email asking for funds to pay for this new leg of the battle. Often I had solicited funds from my friends and constituants. The email stated that they were not interested in $20-$50 dollar donations, they were after huge funding. They talked, in this email, as though they had single handedly gotten the cause as far along as it had gotten and now it was time for the real supporters to step forward. They gave no thought to the hundreds of people who had gone out and done all the educating and leg work. At that point, I sent my own email to the group asking them if they really believed that it was only a few that had made the difference. It seemed to me that $20 from 100 of my friends and $20 from all of the other supporters and their friends would add up to quite a large sum of money. I washed my hands of the situation. The law was already in place anyway and had been denied by two state supreme court rulings. We tried. I think that was the end of the support for a lot of people. "The cause" never even makes the news anymore. Might have been different had they not insulted all those who had helped them. I think we were all equally invested in the cause up to that point. Maybe it's time to set your neighbors straight on just how far you will go to support their efforts? I think it's hard to support a cause that doesn't personally effect you or your investments. If your neighbor's sole purpose in this battle is to protect their own investment in their own properties then I think they are misguided in the effort to enlist help. I think honesty is the best policy in all situations. They'll either get over it or they won't. That is their own choice and does not reflect on you or your family. Good Luck, MeMo
    ...See More

Need honest your opinions

Q

Comments (30)
    "Stippling really is a love-hate relationship!" Therefore akin to the feelings people have about spiders or doubles or orange daylilies or whatevers. gonegardening, I saw LOTSA DOTS in that garden, too; I also saw it in a display of off-scape stippled blooms at our club's daylily show later this summer. I was so sure I'd recorded the names of those stippled ones, as some were unusual, and I'd not heard of them before, but I can't seem to find the list. At any rate, IMO LOTSA DOTS was by far the best of the bunch in terms of both bloom size and color contrast....the gardener whose garden had been on the tour was at the show, so, naturally, I promptly ordered it. :)...like floota said, there are people who want what's different.
    ...See More

Need heat big time--need honest opinions

Q

Comments (23)
    Energy, My response was specific to OP's situation. She'd described her location as SF Bay area and great in summer. I assumed that meant she was not "inland", and if so, most people in the immediate Bay Area don't have AC. I don't have AC, I cool my house by opening the windows in the evening, we have cool nights on all but a few very hot days. Look at today's forecast- SF is 70, Berkeley is 70, inland Walnut Creek, 15 miles from Berkeley, is 86, very inland Sacramento is 97 but still dry heat). People who live inland have AC and just bite the bullet with cost. I'm sure there are many heat pumps in use in rural or remote areas with no natural gas, with people who don't want to use propane or wood stoves. But I know people all over a broad area, and no one I know has one.
    ...See More

Your Honest Opinion

Q

Comments (22)
    There's so many variables to that question. It's almost amusing how many people are flat-out liars. They'll lie to get out of saying no, they'll lie to "not hurt someone's feelings" when the person may well do better to know the truth. They'll lie on their income tax. And then wave a Bible and say they're "Christians". LOL I call them "Buffet Christians". Pick 2 or 3 commandments and follow them at any one time. If it's a subjective matter, then I might sugar coat a bit that some might like it and some don't. If they want my opinion I'll give it to them. Sometimes a person needs tough love. They NEED to be told the truth. Sometimes as Joyful said, I'll ask if they REALLY want my opinion. Most know I tend to lay it on the line. I've warned most people enough times not to ask me a question they don't want answered. Some try to rationalize things. Like a time someone got into a fight over a dollar and looked for sympathy. Get real folks. There's times to pick your battles. There's several times both in the forum and elsewhere people looked for sympathy on a situation and when I felt they were wrong or out of line I told them so. I can't believe the people who justify it to make someone feel good. Essentially they'd go, hey, go ahead and rob the bank, that's fine. Or go ahead and not return that to them, they probably don't even know you have it. If someone blows up over giving an honest answer, I'll say something like "hey, you threw a tantrum last time you asked for the truth, you gonna do that again?" No need sugarcoating in that instance. Sometimes I'll even ask do you want the truth or do you want me to say what you want to hear? Especially if it's an issue of right or wrong, I will tell someone when I believe they're wrong. NOW, with all that said, there's one other point to make. I always try to get the whole story, or both sides to give an opinion. People looking for rationalization seldom give an accurate portrayal of the other side. That's what's so comical about a lot of these threads! When wife gets mad at hubby, his side is never portrayed accurately so the henhouse always clucks "go-girl" and same with "I got cheated at the store" or "the neighbor is using my lawn" or whatever. Sometimes they weren't cheated and maybe the survey says it was the neighbors' lawn or the hubby is allergic to the tuna casserole surprise so that's why he never eats what's put in front of him! JMHO :D
    ...See More
  • carla35
    12 years ago

I think the "your best asset" answer sounds too rehearsed and "spot on" to seem real. It's also too general and doesn't really say much about you or set you apart from anyone.

I would think about what sets you apart from "Susie Q" or what would make you a better candidate than others for this job and list that. Maybe you're analytical or work well in groups, or a great typist. Of course, you can slip in that you have a good work ethic... but that should be a given. You need to list something specific you can do for that job.

Your weakness is also kind of weak... You should try to list your weakness as you would a back handed compliment in reverse so there could be a flip side to it. And, honestly, I wouldn't admit that you can't learn things quickly unless you can put some kind of spin on it...like that you like to understand a process in full before you start on it so sometimes it make take you a little longer in the beginning. But generally, no one wants a slow worker who can't catch on. And, I know you didn't exactly say that, but that may be what they are hearing. I would think about mentioning some other weakness instead.

And about why did you apply for this position. Again, make it about this position. They may not really care what you can get out of it but may be looking for what they can get out of it from you. Like in this example: Why did you apply for this Pilot job? Well because it pays well and I can stay with it for years (is probably not the best answer). It should probably be more along the lines of.. because I love planes and flying and I'd like to spend my time and talents providing comfortable trips for your customers. Plus Blue Skies has always been my favorite airline and has such a respectable reputation, I would love to be part of the team. Tell them what you can do for them in this job and why you would like it specifically.

Good luck. Don't worry too much. I don't think it's always your answers but just sometimes more about clicking with the interviewer. Nothing you've said sounds bad, you just maybe haven't had the right rapport (which is just out of your control most times).

• samkaren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for responding. Everything you've mentioned helps. The one reason I mention that I was at Lewis for 14 years is I want to "point out" that I have stayed in one place for a good number of years...again...longevity.

For my work ethic I also mention that I get that from my parents and that I want to do the best job I can for my employer.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

wouldn't admit that you can't learn things quickly I'm with the others
    dont be negative about yourself. maybe My weakness is desiring to learn quickly and be an asset to the Co as soon as posible.
    Leave out "I start by saying that DH and I moved to the area 3 years ago from Joliet" unless they ask.
    We'll be pulling for you

• terilyn
    12 years ago

I would change dependable to reliable and enthusiastic. Always willing to acquire new knowledge.

• User
    12 years ago

If those are your sincere answers, they sound very honest to me.You answered the questions they asked.

Remember some jobs are "rigged" and you will get the job when the fit is right. It is like a good marriage. And some places have a sudden need and you might get there just in time. I called about a job once. Gave them a fast overview and they said can you come now.

Also, feel good about your answer to your weakness. It is spot on and will serve you well when they say something. We always expect the applicant will have to be trained. That is not a problem. Where I work, I have overseen the hiring and the hiring practices for the company nationwide. We want you to bring that up.You deserve to be trained to succeed. That's our job to do that. We invest in you so you will stay. Some companies do less training but they can't treat you like a plant and just water you and expect you to get it. OK?

If you want more help from me you can go to my e-mail...Ellieisnotathome@gmail.net

• carla35
    12 years ago

I believe you have a good work ethic. I just think everyone is expected to so it's not really anything special. It should be a given.

You need something "more" that pertains to specific job. If the best you've got on yourself is saying that you're going to show up on time and do your best, it may not be enough because they probably already expect that from everyone.

• User
    12 years ago

Karen, one more thing. Some applicants fill out a form online and can attach a resume if they want. If I were you (and you have not done this), I would bring a typed resume that is customized to the job. You can type it in chronological order or put the "Relevant Job experience" and then a couple of spaces down put "Other Job Experience" what ever that may be. You have been a DJ and I think that ranks very high in some places!! So add it.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

First of all, remember that what you wrote on your application is something that the interviewer has already read, unless you are being interviewed by a panel. So what can you add that you did not put on the application when you tell about yourself. Your job in an interview is to sell yourself. The way you sell yourself is you make them want you. So wanting to retire from a job doesn't do much for them in this day and age. You want them to understand that you are good for them. The airline example above is perfect.

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Just remember to look the interviewer in the eye when you're giving an answer. Looking down or twiddling with something in your hands gives the appearance of insecurity. One last thing is don't be self-deprecating - be positive, tell them what solid skills you'll be bringing to their company.

p.s. Good Luck!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

This may be trivial - but WHY are you mentioning your husband in a job interview? "DH and I moved here..."

Your DH has absolutely nothing to do with your qualifications for the job. You shouldn't mention him at all.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

I remember the old days when gals were hired on how they looked. If they fit the current office "mold" I remember one time someone from another dept applied for a job and someone said "But Jack, she cant type or anything" and Jack said "That's ok we'll teach her"

Thought I'd throw a little humor in ( it is a true story)

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Prepare an answer to this query:

"Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

Go on-line and seek information about the school administration. (I assume this is a school job since you mentioned 'campus'.) Know the Chancelor or President's name and become familar with how the administration is organized and major departmetns. Find a little of the school's history: When was it founded and by whom. What was its mission, and more importantly, its current mission? It is a small school or does it have vast land holdings? Does it have any expansion plans? What are its sources of income and support? The size of its student body. Sports programs?

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

I would add one or two accomplishments, such as "I organized/ developed a system to ....." or "I was on a team that set up..."

Asking for a job that will see you to retirement may say to an interviewer, that you want(demand) security in a single position - I wouldn't say that.

OTOH - Offering why you live in your current location was because of a job move of your DH's - not good. Too much unnecessary information. Sounds like while you want a lifetime job, you would move if DH got another job.

Will keep my fingers crossed !

• nickel_kg
    12 years ago

I've participated on several hiring boards, and think your answers are pretty close.

Your response: "Dark chocolate (just a little humor) and that I can't learn everything as quickly as I want to."

I absolutely love the flash of humor, keep it :-) People want to work with folks that can laugh a little bit.

Perhaps extend the rest along these lines: I can't learn everything as quickly as I want to, which is "instantaneous!" so when facing a challenge, I break down the task into step 1, step 2, step 3, then I find I can more easily grasp the whole job.

Also agree do NOT mention "retirement" in an interview. Instead say you're looking for a new challenge.

good luck. Don't give up, even if it takes a couple more interviews.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

You've gotten excellent advice here! I strongly agree that you don't want to mention retirement, or give the impression that you don't learn quickly. You want the job because of what you can do for them--not what they can do for you.

You will need to take your cue from the interviewer. If he/she demonstrates a relaxed environment and sense of humor, go with that. If he/she is all business, avoid the levity.

DH was one of the best interviewers I ever saw (he was Executive Officer for a major organization, and interviewed all candidates to determine if they warranted an interview with the selecting official). When he would interview a candidate who appeared the least bit nervous, he would do something silly to break the ice. For example, he had a small, remote-controlled, Corvette under his desk (out of sight). If a candidate was nervous, he would ask something like "Will transportation be a problem?" and then he would send the little Corvette out from under the desk...approaching the candidate's feet. That was the best ice-breaker you can imagine! The employees all loved him and they all loved the little Corvette trick.

His technique was brilliant because in making the interview more relaxed, he was able to see the real person and better assess how they would interact in a work environment.

One other point: please don't smoke before the interview. A non-smoker will smell it and might feel that you would spend too much time away from your desk on smoke breaks. That's a good day to rely solely on your e-cigarette. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• Tally
    12 years ago

Karen, I think you should just relax and not overthink. People can sense desperation or anxiety. Just be yourself.

And if I might add one of my own personal quirks - I'm superstitous, so I never talk about something before it happens. I don't know why - I guess I'm afraid I'll jinx it.

Anyway, you'll do fine. If it's meant to be it will happen for you. Good luck. (And I agree with Wanda's observation. Don't smoke beforehand. It carries an odor a non-smoker will pick up on right away).

• itsmesuzq
    12 years ago

I worked for a university for 15 years and interviewed many people. I would always ask "What skills and experience can you bring to our organization?" I would look for answers such as: "I am computer literate and know the following software, I can work independently without supervision, I get along well with others and enjoy being a team player to achieve goals of the department, I have good customer service skills, I have experience working in a busy environment, I am flexible and feel I would be a valuable asset to your organization." I liked it if they would give "brief" examples to their experience if asked.

Why don't you look at the requirements of the job posting and answer each requirement they are asking for by writing down how your experience and skills would match their needs? Do this on a piece of paper this weekend and have that on your mind when you have your interview. What you want to do is show them you are aware of their needs and YOU are the best person for the job.

Remember the person that interviews you is asking the same questions that are given on the job posting. They have to tell their managers how the applicant fills the requirements needed, thus that is how they pick the person they feel is the best match.

I was the director of a service organization and hired a variety of support operations positions, from entry level to staff support employees with a variety of skills. I don't know what position you are applying for but I hope my suggestions help a bit.

I wish you the very best. Relax, be prepared and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

• carla35
    12 years ago

I think humor 'could' be ok depending on the interviewer but most of the time, I would not use humor in the interview especially if it's a rehearsed line. Most people just can't pull those off. If I was interviewing you and I could tell that the chocolate comment was a rehearsed line, I may chuckle but would be internally rolling my eyes at it.

I recently read an article that some interviewers will joke with you to try to put you at ease... not for your sake... but so that you become relaxed enough to spill too much. They really are looking for how professional you remain in the interview, not how down to earth you can get. (So keep that in mind).

And as itsmesuzq said, you need to study the requirements of the job and sell yourself on those. Mention how your current job can help with this new job (if that is the case --you already know the campus, have contacts, know how the filing system works, whatever). And list your specific job skills to the new job.

Also, you need to ask good questions and to do so you need to know about the job (and probably even more about the school/company). What are their plans, goals, etc. You also don't want to act too desperate. They are not only interveiwing you, but you are interviewing them. Do you think this job is good enough and a good fit for you?

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

Good advice from everyone here.

If I understand correctly... you already work for the campus and want to work in a different department. This is the 5th job you've applied for there? I have to wonder if someone you work with now is not giving you a good reference?

• chloecat
    12 years ago

I agree with Lydia... Sounds like one of your references isn't doing you any favors.

I also have to say this, because if memory serves, you're a smoker, right? The place I work interviews people all the time. The ones who smell like smoke are not given any further consideration after an interview. Nobody in my company of 50+ people smokes. Just saying....

• sjerin
    12 years ago

I just want to give kudos to you for asking for and taking advice in such a nice way. I wish you well and hope this time is a winner.

• jennmonkey
    12 years ago

Some good advice given. I've helped with many interviews at my agency, and here is my advice.

NEVER say that you don't learn as fast as you'd like. Essentially you're saying you are a slow learner (even if you don't mean it that way), and nobody wants to hire a slow learner, or someone who is going to take forever to train. Everyone wants a fast learner in a new position.

I hate that "weakness" question. There's no right way to really answer it. Nobody wants to hear a "real" weakness at an interview and nobody wants to hear a contrived answer, "Oh, I'm a perfectionist".

In my opinion, if there are many candidates that are all qualified for the position, it boils down to personality. Who seems like they would "fit in" the best. I agree with following the lead of the interviewers, but at my agency, we would be much more likely to hire the friendly, smiling, happy seeming person than the stiff, serious, all-business type person. But that's my agency's culture and environment and each place of business is different.

Make sure you clearly state your abilities and how they would be a good match for the position, without seeming like a know-it-all. Nobody likes a know-it-all, and if someone seems too cocky, it's a huge turn-off to interviewers.

I would just look nice, be yourself, smile a lot, relax, and make sure to bring up your strong points and applicable skills. And I agree, don't smoke beforehand. As a smoker, I never smoked before interviews, even though you'll really want to because you're nervous. Everyone likes someone who smells good, LOL. Good luck!

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I've hired a good number of people throughout my career. I don't consider myself a wonderful interviewer or interviewee. But ... there are some basics. You've gotten some good advice.

One more: when they ask you to tell them about yourself, your answer as stated isn't what they mean. Telling them that you moved from Joliet, etc, as you've answered doesn't tell them anything about YOU. They want answers that will indicate that you are what they're looking for.

For example: I am a hard worker who takes great pride in my work and strive to do my best. I get along well with my coworkers and always look to learn more and put my knowledge and skills to use. And then be prepared for their follow-up answer as to what that knowledge and those skills are.

That type of thing. That's about YOU. That's what they're asking.

I, too, like the dark chocolate answer! Great - of course with a bit of a laugh or smile afterward. In addition to your qualifications, they're looking for personality.

And oh yes - if you are a smoker, make sure you and your clothes don't have any tobacco odor! At all! That's an instant turnoff.

Regarding your answer to why you applied for the position, I agree with everyone who said no, no, no. Although they may like it that you're not going to leave in a while, that's not a good answer (IMO). Find out about the responsibilities of the position and, if it's true, tell them that you're looking to take on new responsibilities that are in line with your talents and experience, etc.

Remember - it's about them ... not about you. But - you must come across as genuine. Good luck!

• Holly_ON
    12 years ago

CHANGE THIS

"Why did you apply for this position:
    I am looking for longevity and a position that I can pretty much stay at until retirement." - Remember the company is much more interested in what you can do for them rather than what they can do for you. Your work history will demonstrate that you are not a train and flight risk. Mentioning staying till retirement suggests a willingness to become dead wood. Are you creative? Are you adaptable to changes? Are you a leader or a team follower? Are you innovative? A good problem solver? Be prepared to provide examples.

• User
    12 years ago

My last word on this is most people and panels who interview you are there to help you get through the interview not trick you. I use the word company for campus.

A skilled interviewer represents the finest qualities of the company that include professionalism and an ability to work well with others. That person is the first person you talk with.

All answers tell a little bit about you and they will hone in on what they need not take points off because you interpreted the question one way or another. Wanting to retire at this place is a reality and a great commitment.

If you have the experience to do the job, present yourself (even if scared) the best that you can by dressing nicely and even asking to repeat the question (which shows confidence in yourself) and the other positive things people have said then you will do fine.

If someone else has more credentials and gets the job then hold on and be patient and show your perseverance if that is where you want to work.

The right job is close at hand.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

I didn't read all the responses so apologize if I'm repeating.

I'd say that I want to enter at this job & stay *with the company* til I retire.

Go get 'em, Girl!

• jmc01
    12 years ago

I don't like your answer to "Why did you apply for this job?" What you are saying sounds to me like you want a position that you can slide with right until retirement, not being a contributor at all.

I'd focus this answer more on the lines of how you can take specific of your skills (name them) and contribute to doing the new job and improving the performance of the team it's in (or something like that). If I was the hiring manager, I'd want to hear concrete examples of what you bring to the job and how those skills will add to the group.

If you have the interview, you can assume that the hiring manager has at least scanned your resume. Regurgitating it back to them isn't necessary.

I've hired people. I want to hear a person who can sell me on their skills and accomplishments in a manner that indicates to me they'll be a team player who is motivated to get the job done.

Rethink your answers - sell yourself.

• Holly_ON
    12 years ago

Standing by my answer that staying till retirement implies stagnation rather than a life long learning plan and other buzzwords used to market oneself in a motivated career field.

However, by the responses here, you may get away with it depending on the interview committee. Some may feel it expresses loyalty. I feel it is taking a chance.

Try for spontenaity rather than obviously rehearsed answers. You want your sincerity to shine through. I'm really glad my interviewer/interviewee days are over!

Crossing my fingers and wishing you a great interview experience.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Wish I had all the advice given when I was looking for a job many years ago. Good solid thoughts and suggestions from all for anyone!
    Marie

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

SamKaren

I've forgotten thee reason you wnt to change your present job.Care to expand a little?

• Holly_ON
    12 years ago

For weakness you could say something like I get angry at myself when I haven't paid attention to detail.

• samkaren
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on you for advice.
    I am going to take what you said and just be myself.

The reason I am looking for a new position, in all honesty, is that my program is grant funded and I do not trust the government to keep our program going. The sent us a notice abour 4 months ago saying they were taking back 3% of our funds. That put a huge dent in our budget to where i can't afford to buy basic office supplies and my workstudy students only have 15 hours out of 40 they can work. It is so bad that i found some 3-ring binders in the trash that I grabbed because i am out of them. It shouldn't be this way but that is our government.

One of my coworkers who works 4 days a week has volunteered to only work 3 days over the summer to save money.

If i get this job it is not grant funded and will be a little more secure. I won't get my hopes up but I will do my best in the interview. Should know by Friday and I will post what happens.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• Tally
    12 years ago

I didn't want to come out and say it, but Lydia did. Karen, if you have been applying for different jobs on the same campus and been unsuccessful, have you asked HR or the hiring manager why? I think you need to understand if there is something in a past review or off-putting from the previous interviews that you need to address.

Just a thought....but if there is something holding you back from succeeding at an internal transfer then you should know about it. You should also ask HR for a perfectly frank explanation of why someone else was selected for the previous jobs. That information might give you more advantage than opinions on a message board.

• carla35
    12 years ago

tally, That sounds like a good idea in theory and it may be worth a try, but HR people are generally not going to tell you the "whole" truth. It could open them up to lawsuits. My guess would be they will respond with the general "someone else was better qualified" response if you do ask them.

I mean if they are looking for someone with Excel experience and you don't have it, it would be nice to know but chances are those things would come out in the interview or application. If you're not getting the job for 'other' reasons... like people think you can't get along with others, or that you aren't smart enough, don't dress well, have bad breath, or that your verbal skills are lacking... they probably aren't going to tell you that.

I think samkaren's main problem may be that she is focused on finding a job... any job that seems more permanent. People generally don't want to hire someone who just wants any job. They want someone who wants and is a good fit for their particular job offering. Unless she can express that, she probably won't be seriously considered for the job. She shouldn't be answering the questions for one job the same way she does for another job.

For example, her best asset for a filing job could be her strong organizational skills, while her best asset for an accounting job could be her math skills. The fact that she appears to be rehearsing pat answers and not changing them for each job shows her disinterest in this "specific" job and stresses her interest in just getting any job. She may luck out somewhere down the line if the other applicants are doing the same thing but it could be a while.

• Tally
    12 years ago

Carla, that may be but if you don't ask, you may never know. HR people are well versed in lawsuits and what they can and cannot say. Advising someone that they may need to brush up on Excel skills to be more competitive, or take a class in Power Point isn't illegal. Neither is discussing personal hygiene or lack of focus in a job search.

If nothing else it would show a willingness to correct any weaknesses and a committment to doing whatever it takes. It also shows an interest in succeeding.

Yeah, she may get blown off. On the other hand, she might make points with a recruiter in the company. There's no downside in asking, and the upside may be in gaining a supporter.

• sherwoodva
    12 years ago

SamKaren, I think you received some great advice. My office does a lot of recruiting. We are looking for self-starters who can write well; someone who can be productive immediately. Research the office to find out what they need and what their weaknesses are.

You will need to be able to explain what you accomplished or achieved at your current job. You have to "sell" yourself. "Dependable" doesn't say much unless you are applying for the job of unlocking the campus gates every morning. If you improved a process that resulted in savings for the office, you want to find a way to quantify that.

I agree with the others that you need to figure out why you didn't get the other jobs. Maybe call one of the people who interviewed you and ask if there was anything you could have done better. Of course, sometimes we know when we've blown it, like when I said "roll up my arms" when I meant to say "roll up my sleeves." Good luck!