SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

Need heat big time--need honest opinions

cottagecindy
11 years ago

here's the scoop:

rent an OLD 1930's bungalow about 500 sq feet max,5 rooms (kitchen 2 bedrooms,living and bath)-lath and plaster. bad insulation (house is GREAT in summer-nice and cool) but in the winter...

live in bay area, only need heat maybe late october till end of feb. (it is a strange climate now, getting colder at night, who knows what's happening...)

my only source of heat is a floor furnace smack in walkway between kitchen and living room. it blows hot air, dust,cat hair,etc when it runs-can't tolerate it. (one cat has asthma , I have allergies, and the cat toys at night can end up on it and could really cause a fire. plus....I have to relocate HEAVY furniture if I use it.

so, last winter (first one here in this house) I used electric oil type heater, and bill went from 60 bucks month to 300. (for only 4 months)

how much would it cost to put in forced air heat or any other kind? crawl space under house, and of course attic access . landord is a contractor so he could do some of the work-but I think I'd have to plunk down $$ for him I'm sure cuz he'll say he floor furnace works. :(

I plan to live here for as long as I can, unless they sell the property. (the house itself is solid-not sellable but land is valuable-, some damage over the years (termites,earthquakes)

I've been told the property will not be sold for long time, a good source of income to kids (only 3) and they have other properties too.

so.....what would you guys do? seriously. I love it here, close to my family I take care of. I'd LIKE to retire in this home-and the family owners know that. (i'm 52)

We've already done lots of upgrades (thousands of dollars) to the cottage.....

he has fixed a lot-he buys and I help with the work (I'm good at it too!!)

ok, sorry for the long lecture, --zzzzzzzzz......-

but i really want good advice. the house gets down too uppers 40's at night in winter.

Comments (23)