SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

'color coding' the Christmas presents--share your Christmas trick

talley_sue_nyc
17 years ago

I didn't do it this year, but last year I did, and it was really useful. WHY didn't I repeat this great strategy? Beats me. No, I know why--I only bought wrapping paper w/ holly, that I liked. So I didn't have the variety I needed.

Here's how it works, and why I do it:

We celebrate Christmas in 2 locations, and we send presents to OTHER locations. Plus there are school friends, church friends, etc.

I decided it breaks down mostly into 3 categories, maybe 4:

-our house (presents between parents and kids);

-Noni's house (presents to grandparents, cousins, etc., that come w/ us to Noni & Nono's hosue on Christmas morning),

-mail-away presents (for my parents, family, out of town friends)

-incidental take-along presents (school, work, church, etc)

Last year I bought some triple-packs of wrapping paper and realized I had some paper w/ snowmen, some w/ Santas, some w/ penguins, some w/ holly.

So---all presents staying at our house had to be wrapped in Penguin paper. Santas went to Noni's house. Snowmen got mailed. Holly was for the incidentals.

It worked pretty well--we could stack them in whatever configuration would make them all fit under the tree, and LOOK nice (no cardboard boxes sitting around; no need to pack them into shopping bags too early).

But when we needed to separate them out for whatever reason (time to pack them into the mailing carton, etc.), we could do so easily.

What do you do, that makes Christmas easier?

Comments (14)