SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

What's For Dinner - #323

User
12 years ago

Nancy, Chicken and Noodles over mashed potatoes. Alexa is right, pure comfort food.

Alexa, that is one of my favourite Tex-Mex dishes.

The butcher cut me a piece of tenderloin for the Chateaubriand that was bigger than I needed. So I cut steaks off the end and saved them for last night's dinner. The steaks were rubbed with fresh garlic, salt and lots of pepper.

Grilled the steaks, topped with a little of the leftover Bearnaise Sauce and served with basically the same vegetables from the night before. Added a baked potato, which is Moe's favourite.

Comments (96)

• jude31
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jasdip, I sure would like the recipe for that delicious looking apple cobbler. I'm not crazy about most desserts, but apple desserts are my favorite. It looks yummy! We're making another visit to the apple orchard next week.

jude

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Hi Jude! Glad to oblige. Like you there aren't many desserts I'm keen on. I think this one is so appealing to me because of its biscuit-like topping.

Apple Cobbler

4 cups apples, peeled and sliced or cut in chunks
    1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups plus 1 tbsp flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
    1 cup cream or milk (I've used both with equally good results)
    sprinkle of cinnamon if desired

Heat oven to 375.

In a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish or a 9" deep-dish pie plate toss the apples, 1/3 cups sugar and 1 tbsp flour.

Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes until fruit is slightly softened.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the baking powder, salt, lemon zest, 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Add the butter and blend with your fingers or pastry blender until coarse crumbs.
    Add 3/4 cup cream or milk and mix until it forms a shaggy dough. Add more if needed.

Drop mounds of dough over the apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon if using. Bake until dough is lightly browned and fruit is bubbly, 15-20 minutes.

• Related Discussions

Idyll #323 Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days

Q

Comments (105)
    (((((Eden)))))! I'm so sorry about the damage and you feeling so upset/scared. It's times like this that I wish I lived a skip away from you. I am SO thankful that no one was hurt. A crushed urn and smashed plants(gee and a humongous tree laying over your garden)still are extemely upsetting and I always did admire the sun & moon not to mention your shed(maybe Brad can repair the shed?)! I know you'll find a way to salvage what you can and recreate what you've got~sniff~Earlier today I was viewing garden pics you'd posted and I was ooing and aahing at the results of your hard work. I hope the cleanup shows more things intact than thought. I hope you can get good sleep tonight. In regards to how I had time to post when the kids were little it was pretty easy because I would post at naptime~AJ napped all the way up to age 4 or at least had quiet book reading time. Both boys were very good at independant play so I could take a few moments to post during the day. I also would post at night because Chris was often doing school work. These days we are more on the go in general plus when I'm working the idylls went to the back burner-unfortunately. Poor Chelone-and Rex! I hope your boss is understanding and things go well. ; )I will drink some wine for you-it's the least I can do... I missed an earlier chance to wish you & your helpmeet a happy anniversary~Hope it was fun...did you conserve water like a good girl? lol just kidding. Saucy-I saw the pic of you skiing-you go! If that were me you'd see a pic of the skis over my head and my face would be flopping through the water at high speed: ) I enjoyed seeing the pics of your earlier garden & the present one-I gasped at that later pic-It's beautiful! I also enjoyed seeing your kids-they grew so much! Thanks for showing those pics. I'm really glad you're sticking around here! 'Bug I wanted to tell you that I like Reed's middle name-such a noble name. Hi T!! How are the babies? HAve you had any time to work in your curvy beds? Mary send some of that rain back this way please? Minus high winds,hail or lightening: ) HI NORMA! Better get going, Chelone really needs me to drink that wine NOW. ~Babs
    ...See More

What's Your Good News Today 3/23?

Q

Comments (1)
    Please don't comment on this thread today but on the one from yesterday. No one saw this new one, so are posting in yesterday's thread; let's let this one die. I'll try again tomorrow with a new "daily" thread. Here's the other thread, please comment there: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5884546/daily-good-news-thread#n=35
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/You show me yours - M 3/23

Q

Comments (30)
    Tulip bulbs are very tasty to a variety of animals. If your bulbs don't come back, most likely they have been eaten by squirrels, mice, voles, rabbits even deer. And Tulips normally last just a few years anyway if not been someone's snack. Daffs on the other hand can last and naturalize for eons. Planting your Tulips among Daffs which are distasteful to animals can help.
    ...See More

Room design living and dinging room / 30m² (=323ft²)

Q

Comments (2)
    It seems to me your dining space is pretty clear it is the space between the kitchen and the LR. and it appears to be very narrow for any table .IMO you need min. 2800 mm for 900 mm wide table and chairs too but because that area is open you might beable to do something like a Corbusier table .. I assume the view is out the wall on the east since there are no large windows that I see on the S wall. I have no idea why TV A would even be a choice it would skew any proper arrangement of furniture.I would eliminate the door on the E wall and just do sliding doors instead of windows there. As for furniture how many seats do you need on a daily basis and how many would you like if possible.
    ...See More
  • sissyz
    12 years ago

Ann, your food always looks great, but the ribs with Asian Salad is really good lookin!
    barnmom! Your tamales jumped right out at me, they look awesome! What a labor of love those are!
    ruthanna your plates look restaurant quality!
    dcarch---how did you find the black garlic taste? Similar to regular garlic?! So beautiful!

Perhaps Salsa Verde is not dinner for most, but on this night, it was for me! Yum!

Football season means soups and stews for us. A big pot simmers all afternoon while we wait for commercials during the Bears games to get refills!

On this night, my Italian American boss made my dinner!
    This is pork steak stuffed with round steak, salami, egg and mozzarella. She says it is simmered in homemade sauce for hours and hours.

I can tell you it tasted as wonderful as it looks....

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Dcarch, those scallops look great. What are they resting on in the shells?

Ann, I'd like that salad for lunch tomorrow.

Sissyz, is that potato soup? That pork roll must have took a long time to assemble. It looks delicious.

I made brown sugar orange shortbread cookies for tonight's teatime.

A pot of chicken was simmering for soup when I opened roselvr's chicken pie thread. Since my rolling pin and cookie cutters were still out, we ended up with stew topped with pastry chickens.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jasdip, thanks for sharing your apple cobbler recipe. My kind of dessert.

Wow Sooz, everything looks delicious. Is that a potato soup? It looks rich and creamy.

I love the idea of your rolled pork simmered in sauce and served with pasta. I prefer using pork rather than beef in that dish. Great photos.

Ruthanna, your potpie is adorable.

I tried a new recipe last night - Patates Plaki. I love Greek Potatoes and this recipe could easily become a favourite.

Served with a small New York Strip Loin roast.

The recipe for the Patates Plaki can be found on Kalofagas - Greek Food and Beyond - one of my favourite blogs.

• sissyz
    12 years ago

ruthanna, the brown sugar orange shortbread cookies...are they difficult to make? I don't like to bake, but those look wonderful, would you be willing to share your recipe?

Spinach Salad with Bleu Cheese, Pears and Walnuts
    My family is not patient, I had to go rescue this plate to take a pic of it, they don't like to wait!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Thanks Ruthanna. The scallops are sitting on top of golden beets.

Ann, those are not big scallops, they are humongous scallops! Compare them with the size of the coins. I have never seen scallops that big.

sissyz, Black garlic tastes nothing like garlic, not even remotely garlic-ky. While it is 100% garlic with nothing added in the making, all the pungency and sharpness are completely transformed into a mellow complex sweetness. As a matter of fact, you can eat a few pounds of black garlic and not have garlic breath. It is wonderful in recipes. I like to make dressing or sauces with black garlic. The black color is very dramatic on the plate.

dcarch

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Sissyz, the cookies are 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 2 cups flour, pinch of salt and finely grated zest of an orange. Mix, chill, roll and bake at 350. Dough was easy to roll out and handle.

I won't be making them again because the brown sugar flavor really dominated and I prefer brown sugar cookies with spices.

• jude31
    12 years ago

Jasdip, thank you so much for the Apple Cobbler recipe. I hopw to try it soon.

jude

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sooz, it is common knowledge that I don't care for salads. BUT, I would make an exception for your spinach salad.

Dinner tonight was pasta with my favourite sauce - sausage and rosemary.

And dessert was Apple Cream Cheese Danish.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I had dinner at a friend's house tonight. He made what he says is a very typical family meal from his boyhood in the former Czechslovakia, back when it was still behind the Iron Curtain, in a childhood that was fairly middle class by the standards of the time and place - that is, they almost always had something to eat, he went hungry only a few times, but they were sometimes fortunate to have basic comfort food.

It was: a simple roast of some unfancy cut of beef; dumplings made from self-rising flour, eggs, and bread crumbs, boiled then cut into slices with a thread (concept not unlike matzoh balls); cabbage cooked with sugar and vinegar (kind of a sweet and sour treatment); gravy made from cooked vegetables and beef stock, pureed; apple strudel pie; Czech beer. It wasn't a "gourmet meal" but I really enjoyed it. The dinner was sort of a time and space travel machine, a trip to a small Czech town circa 1960.

Food doesn't have to be fancy or clever. The story told by the meal is what's important.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

It's so nice to see WFD moving again! I haven't posted here in a while mainly because my pictures are all crappy, but I'm happy to report that I've fully emerged from the cooking rut I recently was in. Looking back at the past few weeks shows me how much I've taken from this forum. I owe you all a huge thanks. From chicken feet stock (was that Shaun?) to Ann and Sooz's wing recipes to SharonCb's bourbon pork tenderloin... and how could I not try poutine after seeing Sharon's (Chase) picture, which gave me the perfect opportunity to finally make Ann's Salisbury Steak... Ann's (again!) scallops with gin sauce... Shambo's Shrimp with Feta is a regular favorite around here... and OMG speaking of shrimp if you haven't had Grilled Shrimp Charmoula do yourself a favor and head over to Cookalong #7 and try the recipe that Gina posted... and the list goes on and on. Even the puppy benefited from CF - I felt bad for him when he got snipped so I baked him a batch of Michael's (kframe) peanut-buttery treats:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Ok, now that I've got that out of my system, here's what I had last night. Not inspired by CF but it was delicious. Lamb chops and Asparagus Fritti, both recipes from The Palm Restaurant Cookbook:

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

FOAS, I'm glad you're back in your cooking groove again. I'd agree that the CF is a terrific source of inspiration.

Friday's dinner was shrimp with Creole sauce and pepper cabbage. No cooking at all yesterday since we went on a food shopping bus trip to NYC.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Ann, the Apple Cream Cheese Danish looks great. I sure wish I had a piece right now.

FOAS, we have all benefited many times over because of the wonderful cooks on the CF who share their recipes. I always get ideas for dinner from the WFD threads.
    Glad to see your puppy is benefiting from the CF too. Roxie (my choc lab) also loves almost everything I have made from the CF.

John, truer words were never said. Glad you enjoyed your Czech dinner.

Ruthanna, your dinners always look good and are inspiring.

Tonights dinner was wet burritos, or whatever you want to call burritos with a tomato sauce :)

Nancy

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Everything looks good as usual, wish some of you delivered.

Tonight, I did something different and quick.

Pasta e Fagioli con Shrimp.

15 oz. can of of White Kidney Beans,
    ( should have used Great Northern )

2 cups of cooked Rottelli Pasta
    3 Tablespoons of Spaghetti Sauce.

1 - 4 oz. can of Small Shrimp
    1 tablespoon of Parmesan Cheese.

Heated the beans and dumped in everything else and
    simmered for 2 minutes.

It was good !!!

Lou

12 years ago

Jasdip, I too can get addicted to your beautiful Apple Cobbler.

Ann, once more, your New York Strip Loin roast, and the baby back ribs speak volumes of your mastery of the grill.

Sissyz, that Spinach Salad with Bleu Cheese, Pears and Walnuts is so delicious and henthy looking. That Football meal is a "Touchdown!"

John, you speak my language, food-wise. Few of my meals are fancy or with clever recipes. No fancy lamb chops and clever asparagus fritti. (LOL)

FOAS, great pairing of lamb and asparagus fritti.

Ruthanna, the shrimp with Creole sauce is skillfully done. I can tell by the right consistence of the sauce. Love that pastry chicken on the soup.

Lou, that is one great looking Pasta e Fagioli con Shrimp.

Nancy, I call your call your burritos with a tomato sauce, "un plato muy delicioso" . Beautiful photo of Chicken Parmesan.
    ------------------------

As john was saying, "Food doesn't have to be fancy or clever"

Here is one cheap $0.90 a lb chicken tight sous vided on $0.45 a lb cabbage.

And the chicken skin is used to make chicken skin crackling avocado salad.

dcarch

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FOAS, yum, perfectly cooked lamb chop.

Ruthanna, Great looking dinner.

Nancy, great photo. I haven't had a wet burrito in years. Brings back memories of living in Grand Rapids and the Beltline Bar. I loved their Wet Burritos

I grilled New York Strips for dinner. Made Moe his favourite side- Baked Potatoes - along with fried mushrooms and steamed broccoli.

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Lou, I'll have to remember your meal when I'm it's a snowy day and I need to make dinner from the pantry.

WM, the photo of your burritos is really appealing.

Dcarch, the chicken looks cooked to perfection but the charred cabbage doesn't tempt me.

Ann, if I looked at this thread before I went to the market, I'd be sure to come home with steaks in my shopping bag.

Dinner last night was cold poached salmon with purchased dill sauce, peas & onions and a baked cheddar /potato casserole. Teatime treat was tortoni cookies.

DH brought home a just-picked 4 lb. cauliflower last night so that answers the WFD question for tonight.

12 years ago

Actually, the cabbage was not charred. The blackened color was soy sauce.

The chicken was done perfect because the sous vide cooker does not permit anything else; it has nothing to do with my cooking skills. The skinless chicken was cooked in rosemary and soy sauce in the SV cooker. I used the soy sauce from the SV cooker which was enriched with chicken juice to cook the cabbage, making it very dark. Also part of the sauce was blended with parsnip to make a thick cream sauce for the dish.

Actually, the best part was the crispy chicken skin crackling for the salad.

What is that beautiful green sauce on your fish? That's a very nice red plate, makes everything so vibrant.

dcarch

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry I misinterpreted the photo, dcarch. I'd like the cabbage with the soy-chicken juice. I admire your sous vide cookery but as a practitioner of VS (Voluntary Simplicity) for decades, I work my meals around the equipment that I have, rather than adding more equipment.

That's a prepared dill sauce I brought home from Zabar's in NYC this weekend. The balance is going to be in a cucumber salad tonight. Those red plates are part of the set of dishes I've used nearly every day since the early 1970's and amazingly, I've never broken one yet.

• lyndaluu2
    12 years ago

I haven't posted pics lately but Im' cooking up a storm.
    Breads, pies, beans/with ham hocks, and spare ribs tonight.
    DH just catch a 35 lb. salmon on the Sacrament River with his friend Bob.
    We have great salmon in the freezer!! Even made fish sticks with some of it.
    Roll in flour with salt and pepper, then egg whites, and then panko with parm in it. Bake at 400 for 15 mins. Yummy!!!
    Will try to post some pics soon.
    Everyone's food looks so good, we should all be 500 lbs. LOL

Linda

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

As luck would have it, I just happened to open this thread during a high blood sugar/low intake week. I could make a meal on Dcarch's chicken skin cracklings and avocados. (The chicken looks divine as well). Ann's steaks and 'shrooms are also right up my alley. I'm super impressed with Nancy's 'wet' burritos, as I've been Jonesing for Tex-Mex lately.

As for me and my family, we had Tex-Mex breakfast for dinner: Migas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confessions of an Aspiring Food Snob

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Thanks yuall!!!

Another quickie tonite.

Sausage, Peppers and Onions in Tomato Sauce.

I used a cup of Diane's canned Tomato Sauce,
    3 Sausage links, cut in half
    1 very large Bell Pepper
    Half of a sweet Onion
    Half teaspoon of Garlic Powder, Old Bay Seasoning & Sugar,
    plus a pinch of Salt.

Browned the Sausage, added the Tomato Sauce and a cup of water, brought it to simmer.

Added all the other ingredients, Simmered for 20 minutes,
    with a lid.

Great Sandwich !!! With a glass of Chianti

LOU

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Adam, I would be happy with your Migas for breakfast or dinner. Wonderful.

Ruthanna, the lovely soft pink of the salmon with the green sauce, looks to pretty. I also like your red plates. They look different depending on which tablecloth you have under the plate.

Baked beautiful thick pork chops for dinner last night, along with potato gratin,

baked squash and purple cauliflower.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

So much good looking food! Okay, good looking and mouth watering too.

First I have to say thanks Ruthanna for using your red dishes. I love that set and have missed seeing it. All of your food looks good and that salmon is calling to me. Need some fish!

Ann, pork chops are Christy's favorite, but I'm pretty sure I could do a good job on them my own self. For some reason I really love the purple cauliflower. So pretty. Potatoes gratin and squash are faves too.

Linda Luu, your salmon fish sticks sound great! And yes, we should be 500 lbs. I'm working on it.. jk.

Nancy, we just call the wet burritos chimichangas. Of course that's if they're fried. Yours are, right? I made some too. Still on a bit of a Mexican kick here.

Foodona, that's so sweet you made the treats for you poor little snipped one. Funny how they rarely even notice they got snipped. LOL. Get ready, I'm continuing to support those Mexican cravings.

Sorry not to mention all you others. I see, I admire, I want to eat, but my eyes are tired so I want to finish posting.

Ok, been cooking quite a bit. My usual soups, pasta, chili, etc., but also have poofed some of the meatballs I made a few weeks ago and made some Swedish meatballs one night over some home made noodles.

I used some fresh cauliflower and some dehydrated mushrooms and made a cauliflower mushroom quiche. I sure do love quiche. As an aside, I can't believe I still have about a hundred foil pie plates left from a case I bought years ago for a catering job. I like to use them for things that I might freeze. I usually make two quiche at once and freeze one. The foil bag fits right in a gallon zip lock bag.

I made some chimichangas one night. Grilled some chicken breasts that I had marinated with the Lea&Perrins white wine worschestershire sauce. Shredded that with some jack and cheddar for Christy and added some beans to mine. Red rice, refried beans with cheese and made a great tomatillo salsa/sauce. Really enjoyed it. Roasted the tomatilloes, garlic and onions. Then ground them all together with the immersion blender. Christy is not a fan of cilantro so I just add some to mine usually but this was great as is.

Getting ready for Christmas baking, I started almost a 5th of vanilla extract. I had a bottle of Fleischmanns Vodka that was practically an antique, that a friend had given me, so thought it was good to use for this. I actually started with a pint canning jar of it. That's why most of the beans were cut in half. Unfortunately, or not, when I put on one of those white plastic caps, it leaked when you shook it so, into the vodka bottle it went and just added more beans. This is better anyway. This is steeped one day.

• eileen101
    12 years ago

Anne T...can you post your pork chop recipe? I checked your blog and didn't find it, but the chops look so darn good!
    Eileen

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I'll second the fact that Ann's pork chops look delicious.

Coconut, I call a fried buritto a chimichanga too. Mine wasn't fried, it was just wet.... :)
    Yours looks great. Glad to see you are eating well.

Last night I cooked scallops and made some fried rice to go with them. I found a recipe in the cookbook that came with my speed oven. It called for marinating the scallops and then cooking for 6 minutes in the speed oven. I haven't gotten the hang of the speed oven yet so I thought it was worth a try. They were perfect!

Nancy

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eileen,

I don't really follow a recipe when I'm breading pork or chicken, etc..

The basic outline is to rub the pork chops with fresh garlic. Just rub a garlic clove on a microplane to make a paste or mince garlic and mush it with the back of a chefs knife to make the paste. Fresh garlic seasons the pork/chicken way better than using garlic powder.

Dip the pork in seasoned flour (salt/pepper) and then into beaten egg and then into the bread crumbs. I use fresh made breadcrumbs which I prefer over Panko or dried breadcrumbs. I season the bread crumbs with fresh grated parmesan and whatever herbs I've decided to use. Fresh parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, etc... You can also add lemon zest. Whatever suits your taste.

Brown chops in an oven proof skillet and then pop into the oven and bake. Time will depend on thickness of pork chops. The chops in the picture were quite thick so they took about 30 minutes in a 475°F oven.

You can do the same with boneless chicken breasts but they can be cooked totally on top of the stove. They cook quickly so no need to finish in the oven.

Ann

• eileen101
    12 years ago

Thanks Ann!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are welcome Eileen.

Nancy, your scallops look amazing. Nice sear on the outside and you can tell by just looking that they are not overcooked. Moe would absolutely love your dinner.

I made Hong Kong Noodles with Chicken for dinner Friday night.

• User
    12 years ago

Lots of great looking food!

Well, I'll be darned I was sure I posted Friday's dinner here but I must not have completed it...or it's on another thread somewhere! LOL

Anyway it was homemade halibut and chips. I used a combination of rice and regular flour and substituted beer for the soda. The batter was perfect!

Last night was beef tenderloin tips in Nancy's delicious Red Wine sauce.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, your Halibut and chips looks like they came from a Fish and Chip Shoppe. Just perfect.

• unorthodoxepicure
    12 years ago

I agree with Ann. The fish and chips look outstanding.

ajh

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

I made enchiladas the other night; if they looked half as good as some of the Mexican pictures seen here lately I'd post it, but they completely fell apart while serving. They ALWAYS do. Why is that? Delicious though.

I think it's been long enough since I've deep fried something. Time for some fish and chips. Been a long time since some nice fat pork chops, too. Hmmm.

On the recent pizza thread olychick suggested blue cheese, carmelized onions and potatoes. Sounded good so I bought some Maytag Blue and fingerling potatoes. It was good and it will be repeated with a bit less cheese and a lot more onions.

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program. :)

Tonight's dinner was what we call Mustard Chicken because there's a layer of it under the broiled crumb topping, pink Madagascar rice, steamed cabbage and a broccoli salad.

Teatime treat was apple-pear-cranberry crisp.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

We had Texas chili over rice for dinner. I like the Texas kind because I don't like kidney beans, and this doesn't have any. It does have heat though!

But the high-light dinner were my Buttermilk refrigerator rolls of Bumblebeez'. I tried making crescents.....how do you cut triangles? lol

They sure are plump little things and they are good!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

As usual, everything looks delicious, yum.

Jasdip, it's easy to cut triangles. Roll the dough into a circle and cut in half, then halves in half and those in half, until you get the size of triangles you want.

Annie

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OOOH FOAS, your pizza looks delicious. I love potatoes on pizza.

As always Ruthanna, your dinners are very appealing.

Jasdip, cute little rolls.

Our dinner last night.

Asian Style Breaded Chicken - Stir Fry

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Style Breaded Chicken

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Jasdip, you reminded me that I haven't made chili for a while so we had it last night. I would have loved some of your rolls to go with it but we had corn muffins instead.

Ann, your chicken looks so delicate. I will have to make that in the near future.

Recent dinners around here have not been anything exciting - lots of soups and stews as holiday activities have made for erratic mealtimes. Fresh cranberries on sale produced one yummy teatime treat - orange-cranberry upside-down cake.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I like dipping boneless, skinless chicken breasts in melted butter, dijon, worcestershire and garlic; then roll in a parmesan and breadcrumb mixture, and baking.

Today I cut a slit in the breasts and stuffed them with herb and goat cheese prior to coating. Along with it, we had baked potatoes and boiled carrots with an orange juice, brown sugar and butter glaze.

Earlier today I made a recipe that Mom always made for Christmas etc. Butter Tart Squares.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ruthanna, I'd love a slice of your cranberry orange cake with my morning coffee. That would be my idea of the perfect breakfast.

Jasdip, your butter Tart Squares look rich and delicious. Do I see coconut in the mix?

I had been craving pasta. So on the way to work yesterday, I picked up the necessary ingredients to make pork and basil meatballs. The first thing I did when I got home from work was to season the meat and then put the sauce on to simmer while the meatballs were frying. Then the meatballs were simmered for an hour. I find that the pork meatballs need less simmer time than beef meatballs so we were still eating at our regular time of just before 7:00.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe for Pork, Garlic and Basil Meatballs

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

Jasdip, your chicken dinner desciption sounds so good. Would you mind posting your Butter tart recipe?

Ann, I remembered your meatball recipe and will be making some this weekend to freeze for a party next week.

Went to a potluck holiday dinner on Tuesday night and on Wednesday, we had Oysters Rockefeller stew but that's one of those dishes that I wouldn't even attempt to photograph since all the good stuff is on the bottom of the bowl.

We had a boneless chicken breast to cook for Thursday night's dinner. I wanted Velvet Chicken and DH wanted Chicken Picatta so ended up with Velvet Chicken with a picatta dipping sauce on the side.

Last night, we had salmon croquettes from the farmers' market and a big pile of asparagus with Hollandaise sauce.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Wow, everyone's dinners and pictures look so good!! I'm "honoured" to be part of this thread, and posting things that look like flops to me, to food that turns out good!

Yep, definitely coconut in my butter tart squares Ann!

Ruthanna the chicken breasts stuffed with herb and goat cheese was wonderful! Hubby thought he'd died and gone to heaven with the whole dinner. Definitely something to be repeated.....I have a few slices of goat cheese in the freezer yet.

The butter tart recipe has been around for years, you'll probably know it by other names. Here it is anyway, and it's really good! :)

Butter Tart Squares

Base:
    1 1/4 cup flour
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter

Mix together with a fork and press into an ungreased 8x8 baking dish. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.

Topping:
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1 tbsp flour
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp butter

Mix together and spread over base. Bake at 325 until firm (30-35 minutes) or until nicely browned.

** I lined the baking dish with parchment, so I could lift the whole thing out for easier cutting.

** I only used 1 cup of brown sugar. Oftentimes, these types of squares are a little too sweet for us and the 1 cup is perfect.

Raisins are often in butter tarts, and they can be added in this recipe as well which I'm going to do next time.

• jenn
    12 years ago

I haven't visited the WFD threads for a while, and I see what I've been missing! I'm newly-retired (post-layoff forced retirement, but happy about it) and looking forward to learning new kitchen tricks and recipes. Will be trying these soon!

• User
    12 years ago

Jasdip, the butter tarts squares look good but you Mom's traditional butter tart recipe is the bomb!

It is so much like my Mom's and the only one I use now. My husband inhales them so I have to hide a few to be sure I get one!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Well, I just finished breakfast, but now I want potato pizza, Hong Kong noodles, fish and chips, AND dessert!

Last night I fixed a Lancashire Hotpot with beef, onions, potatoes and carrots. This is such an easy dish I don't know why I don't make it more often. I bake mine at 300 for 2 hours or more then up the heat to 375 and remove the cover of the casserole to crisp up the potatoes on top. And...I have leftovers!

Today I'm going to make a 15 minute Curry Vegetable soup to use up some broccoli and cauliflower. This is a new recipe to try. At one point last week I had 3 homemade soup recipes in the fridge, which I love because I usually go home for lunch on work days.

Lancashire Hot Pot based on the recipe from Marie at The English Kitchen blog

Serves 4

I guess you could call this the English version of Irish stew. One pot cooking of the most delicious persuasion.

1 TBS olive oil
    750g diced lamb (or beef)
    2 onions, peeled and sliced
    2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunky pieces
    1/2 medium swede (rutabaga) peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (can omit)
    500ml lamb stock
    1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
    2 sprigs of fresh thyme
    750g of potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
    butter
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 160*C/350*F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the meat in batches and fry it until browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large casserole dish (one with a lid) as it browns. Set aside.

Once all the meat it browned and removed from the skillet add the vegetables to the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring them occasionally. Return the lamb to the skillet and pour over the stock. Add the Worchestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix it all in well and then carefully pour the mixture back into the casserole dish. Tuck the two sprigs of thyme into the mixture, burying it.

Cover the top of the mixture with a layer of half of the sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and then dot with butter. Finish layering with the remaining potatoes and adding a final dusting of salt and pepper and dot once again with some butter. Put the lid on.

Bake in the heated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the lid and bake for a further hour until the meat is very tender and the "thatch" is nicely browned in places and tender as well. Serve hot spooned out onto hot plates along with seasonal green vegetables on the side and plenty of crusty bread and butter to mop up the delicious juices.

• sissyz
    12 years ago

the best thing about this thread is seeing food I've never even heard of-much less cooked with!
    dcarch's black garlic looks incredible
    ruthanna's Mediterranean pink rice is so intriguing!
    Living in the country, I think I'm missing out!
    Had to travel all the way to Rockford to find Tahini, for cryin out loud!

• John Liu
    12 years ago

At my dad's in Fremont tonight. His wife went to Berkeley Bowl and got yummy stuff, which she sliced and arranged. Maguro sashimi, lox salmon, petite oysters, vinegared cucumber, watercress, lemon, nori, rice, miso soup, green tea. We finished everything but the rice and nori.

This afternoon I went to lunch at a little Izakaya place in Santa Clara. Had roasted eel on rice, very tasty.

Last night a friend and I went to dinner in Albany. We had a few rounds of sushi. Bonito, tuna, yellowtail, salmon, sea urchin, mackerel, and a bit of sake.

Yes, I have been eating well and seeing family and friends on this business trip, which is conveniently to my old stomping grounds in the Bay Area. Although its all pretty healthy food, I am managing to overeat and will pay for it when I get on the scale at home.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that is a dinner I would love Johnlui.

Teresa, I love rutabaga/turnip in stew. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

We had a Greek dinner last night. Lamb with both rice and Greek Lemon Potatoes and a Greek Salad.

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

We have been eating dinners, although our usual 3 meals a day + treat routine has been changed somewhat due to holiday parties and events.

The best dinner I've cooked lately was a baked whole red snapper. The meat was so juicy and tender that there was nothing left for KittyGirl. LOL

The new crop of local purple-top turnips is in and they've been our Featured Vegetable this week. Pork braised with onions, garlic, whole grain mustard and ale with turnips, potatoes and carrots baked in chicken broth:

Another night was beef and turnip stew:

Side dish was Glenda's Alaskan coleslaw with cranberries and almonds and one of those preservative-laden Brown 'n' Serve rolls that DH gets a craving for around the holidays.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022