SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

Feeling Warm in an Old House

mxyplx
11 years ago

I read with some amusement and much amazement about moving into drafty cold old houses with much ambiance. Having grown up in same in Minnesota I think you are nuts but I digress.

None of the various methods I've seen in all your posts seem to consider humidity. Comfort air conditioning would have the humidity at about 70% while in the winter in MN it was about 20%. So you'd feel cold even if the temp was 70F.

We put a big old kettle on the stove pilot light (they had pilot lights then) and after awhile it would start singing and steam up the place or at least the kitchen. I can still hear that thing singing. The windows would steam up etc and we felt warm.

A couple radiators in the front room had decorative covers with a top that would open and there was a reservoir for water presumably to help the humidity. By the time I came along - 1935- they were no longer used but I don't know if I just don't remember correctly, just didn't work, leaked, or everybody got lazy. Nobody alive to ask now.

============================

I was quite proud when I got big enough to install the big heavy solid wood storm doors in the fall.

One of my sisters lived in a 3 story house close to the Canadian border. All the windows were taped and painted shut. Likewise the storm windows. Opening them in summer wasn't worth it.

We wore wool clothing. Tho I live in Never Never Land (California) I still have a pair of long johns called a union suit I believe. 100% wool high quality that didn't itch. Very thick. Button in the back. Bot em in 1952 for $40 at Daytons (now Target) which today would be $420.79 figuring 4% annual rate of inflation.

Comments (8)