SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Rug and decor questions, specifically Arts and Crafts style

ncamy
15 years ago

Many of you responded to my other thread which was meant to be a little tongue in cheek. Therefore I made the title vague because it was more of an emotional expression in reference to my tastes not matching my pocketbook. Then so many of you started giving me serious advice, I thought it would be best to start a new thread with a specific title and I really might find something I can use.

First a couple of questions which stemmed from the other post. What is the difference between hand knotted and hand tufted? Is the quality of a rug dependent on where it was made? Is wool the only way to go? What exactly is tribal and how do I search for that?

Now here's the deal. I am building an A & C bungalow on an infill lot in a historical area. Most of the details of the build will be true to the craftsman style. We are using stained woodwork and built-ins throughout. Although there will be a lot of windows, I suppose the interior will be dark and cozy rather than light and airy. I've always been a lamp kinda gal and will use a lot of different types of lighting (sconces, lamps, overhead, etc.) The feel I'm going for is to have the warm glow of mica shades against the warm tones of wood.

We will not however be staying 100% true to the AC style. For example our couch will not be mission style (DH hates the look of flat wood arms,) but rather a comfortable simple couch with exposed tapered legs maybe even a small sectional and ottoman. Then there's the monstrosity of a recliner...great big puffy brown leather thing that screams anything but AC. It's in great shape and is very comfortable. DH declared that if it doesn't cradle his body it's not going in the new house. This new house is all about casual and comfortable. (We've been down that road of the formal and looks good...) The case goods will be either craftsman or family antiques.

So I need to pull it all together so that it doesn't look quite so mishmatched. Since the upholstery pieces will not be true to the style I was hoping to bridge the styles with the perfect rug and other accessories. That's what led me to the Donegal rug I posted about in the other post. There are many beautiful rugs on the market but not many of them scream Arts and Crafts. Yes I think that there are others that will look good and blend, but do I really want something to just blend in or something that will be a show stopper?

Here's where you come in. Those of you who know a little about the A & C style. What exactly is it that makes a rug or pattern A & C? Is it the not so subtle use of color and pattern? Is it gingko leaves? lol What is it? Are all of the rugs that are true to the style heirloom quality and super expensive? Any cheap knockoffs? Do I want a cheap knockoff? Now I realize many of these questions only I can answer, but perhaps you can give me some insight.

For what it's worth, I do have another rug. It's a huge (I think 14 feet long) Karastan rug that my mother bought back in the 1960s. Of course it's in great shape except for the fringe where we repeatedly cleaned up from the cat pee. I really don't want to use it in the living room or dining room because I'd rather have something with a little more green in it. I will probably use it in the master bedroom.

Our budget for furnishings, window treatments, and accessories is targeted at between 30-40,000. Out of that we will be buying a king head and footboard, large dresser, two club chairs, couch, ottoman, dining room table, chairs and sideboard, patio couch and chair(s), 2-6 lamps, 0-2 rugs, blinds and/or window coverings for all of the downstairs. Nothing new will be going upstairs. There I'll use what I already have. The money will come from the sell of our previous house so there won't ever be additional funds in the future. If I don't buy it now I really won't ever be able to buy it.

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (21)