SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

100+ year old duplex, questions

jiggreen
17 years ago

Hi! First of all, please excuse my stupidity, I've never lived in an older house, all of my houses have been new construction. DH and I are leaning towards purchasing an older home, with lots of charm and character. In our area, many of the very large older homes have been turned into duplexes, so when you purchase one of these homes, you are purchasing 1/2 of a house. I'm a bit concerned about owning 1/2 of a whole house. How do repairs work, such as roofing? I would be concerned about an attached neighbor neglecting their portion of the home and possibly causing water damage to my 1/2 of the home. Is there usually a written agreement between owners of duplexes, or do you just hope it doesn't happen and keep your homeowner's insurance current? And speaking of insurance, is homeowner's insurance higher for owners of duplexes as opposed to single family dwellings? I did live in a townhouse at one point in time, but it was new construction built with firewalls. I am assuming that 100+ year old duplexes do not have firewalls.

here is a picture of the duplex I am considering purchasing.

{{!gwi}}

If there's any duplex owners out there, I would appreciate hearing the pro's and cons of owning one.

Thanks!

jiggreen

Comments (6)