SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

Painted 1980's veneer kitchen cabs... before & after photos

LCaroline12
10 years ago

Hello there! I think DH and I have finally decided on a plan to update our kitchen. Right now, we *could* afford a full kitchen reno, but it would completely drain our savings and I'm not comfortable with that right now. However, I MUST do something to update this 1980's disaster of a kitchen. After mulling it over for several months, we have decided on this plan: Remove the upper cabinets over the peninsula, hang pendant lighting from the soffit over the peninsula (sorry soffit haters, but the soffits are staying for now :), paint existing cabinets a creamy white color, replace countertops and sink, and cover back side of peninsula with bead board, or some other nice-looking panel. This is essentially a facelift that will hopefully get us through the next 10 years. We are 30 years old with twin 1 year old daughters, with potential for a third baby in our near future. We decided now is not the time to spend our savings on our dream kitchen, so hopefully this update will suit us for at least 7 to 10 years.

For my question, I have scoured the interwebz for before & after photos of painted cabinets that look like ours. I haven't found much yet. Maybe that's because people don't mess with painting these monstrosities. Nonetheless, I'd love to have a visual of what our cabinets might look like. Have any of you come across some cabinets like ours that have been painted white? Thank you!

Comments (26)