SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianace

Mitered edge with built in beverage center

10 years ago

I have to say the very first thing I knew I wanted in my new kitchen was a mitered edge on my granite. Today, the granite guy came to make the template. Originally, I was going with a 2 1/2 inch mitered edge. But while he was here, we figured that would make the granite sit down too close to the top of the drawers, so I decided on the 2 1/4 inch mitered edge. But then we got to the beverage center. The bc height is 34", same as the top edge of my cabinets (and that's after we take the leveling legs off). If I put the mitered edge on, I won't be able to open the door on the bc. We have already added the 3/4 plywood to bring the height of the counter top up enough to have the 2 1/4" edge. If I add another sheet of plywood, the countertop becomes too high for the window by the sink (which is on the same wall) which will be set between the inside granite and an outside bar. The frame will actually be sandwiched between the two countertops.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue. Does anyone have recommendations on how to get around this a still keep the look of the mitered edge?

I do have a back up plan, which is to cut out the tile underneath the cabinets. I can get 1-1 1/2 inches out of that, and we can probably hide that. I wanted to see if there was something less labor intensive.

Thank you!

Comments (15)