SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Experience ordering from Overstock?

I am looking at a few rug options on Overstock. I am most concerned about the color being true to the image and description. Has anyone here ordered a large rug(8x10, 9x12) from them? I would love to know if the rug was as expected. Conversely, if not, what was the return experience like? I have searched the site and didn't see their policy regarding rugs in particular.

Annette

Comments (26)

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I have ordered from Overstock, but never a rug. I know that several here have though. Does the rug that you are looking at have reviews? I have found it helpful in the past to read reviews because many will indicate if something was as they expected and any color discrepencies. I believe that their return policy is pretty good, but the return shipping will be on your dime, which could be costly for a rug of that size.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The reviews are what is confusing me. Half say the rug color was just like the picture and half say it wasn't :D. None really describe the actual color when they got it which is all I care about.
    If nothing else it has taught me how to write my own reviews going forward.

• Related Discussions

Momeni Gramercy Overstock order problem

Q

Comments (6)
    I don 't have an answer for you but I can say inconsistency in dyed textiles is always something to consider. Reading comments from customers on any given site, it is apparent there are differences in products or vastly different expectations from people ordering on line. It is always a risk to order from a picture. Even if you ordered the larger rug from the same place you found the smaller, I would say different dye lots might not be perfect matches. I ordered a large area rug with much trepidation from Overstock. Comments were very mixed. I like you, could not resist the price and the free shipping. I could not be happier with my rug.
    ...See More

Has anyone ordered dining chairs from Overstock?

Q

Comments (5)
    I ordered these a couple of years ago. Sturdy, great condition and easy to assemble. I didn't find anything comparable locally. However, I seem to remember the price was for 2 at about 1.5x the current price. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Mason-Ladder-Back-Chair/9761987/product.html?recset=f5d95141-3f52-4464-94c6-9791cc056416&refccid=66623DZIRNEKPGSMGWW6Q7ESBQ&searchidx=0&recalg=61&recidx=0&keywords=black%20ladder%20back%20chairs&refinement=
    ...See More

Ordering from Yang Ming Store Experience

Q

Comments (3)
    Not heard of this seller. This is for Adeniums? I cannot speak for this seller, but whom ever you purchase plants from abroad. You will need for the seller to provide a Phytosanitary Certificate from their Agriculture Dept. They will not be allowed into the country without this paper work. The Phyto. Cert. will have to conform to what the U.S. Customs requirements are.
    ...See More

Does anyone have any experience ordering from Vintage Tub & Bath?

Q

Comments (3)
    We ordered a clawfoot tub from them and were very satisfied with both the product and the service. We have loved having a cast iron tub for the first time. Woudl definitely order from them again if I was doimg a vintage farmhouse sort of look. My next build is a tad more modern spo going a different direction this time but if a tiub they have fits your style, go for it without reservations.
    ...See More
  • fouramblues
    10 years ago

I recently ordered a 6x6 grey wool rug from Overstock. I really liked it, and the color was what I wanted. Quality is iffy, but you get what you pay for. Then I ordered the same rug in 8x10. (The two rugs are for a oddly shaped room.) The second rug has definite green undertones, where the first is more blue-ish. They don't look great together, but I'm suffering from decision fatigue from two years of on and off home improvement, so I kept both rugs, and have chosen to ignore the mismatch.

In short: you can't count on website representation of color, or dye lot consistency. (So the trick of ordering a small version of your desired rug as a "sample" might not work.)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I think you run the risk of ANY rug you order online not being a true color match to the photo. If you do a little digging, you'll see that the overstock images are the same images that are used on other sites for the same rug.

I have ordered four rugs from overstock-- one was a very close match, they others varied in either color or intensity. Even still, I've been very pleased with each purchase-- especially given the prices. I've never returned one so can't speak to that. I will say that reviews provided a lot of insight.

What I would recommend is narrowing down to a few rugs then post here to see if anyone has the same rug.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So here is my issue, the first rug pictured is 10x12. This is the color I am going for. The description says Rusty Orange.

And here is the same rug description, same company, same colors listed in the text,etc. This rug is 10x10 which is a better size for my situation. If it is the same color in person as the first one then perfect, but the color in the pic is very different than the first rug.

I guess I can call them tomorrow to get some input from Overstock?

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

I've ordered two large rugs from Overstock. When I ordered the second rug, I thought I'd found one that would coordinate nicely with the first rug. When I received it, I realized it was the EXACT same rug as the first one I bought. The photo was just not a great representation of the what the rug looked like in person. The colors were far more vibrant in the photo and the scale of the pattern was hard to gauge. The vibrancy issue didn't bother me, since they are busy, multi-color rugs, but I'm not thrilled with the quality. They're both going threadbare at the corners and the first one shed nonstop for about two years.

Last year I was attempting to buy a small rug in a color had to be a fairly close match to the blue in my bedroom curtains. I ordered and returned two or three rugs from Overstock. They were only 3x5 rugs, but it was a pain to return them, and it was expensive. The pictures and descriptions weren't all that helpful when it came to coordinating colors, even those that seemed to work with my fabric swatch were way off IRL. Reviews can be more helpful, but of course, people see color in different ways and colors look different in different spaces so it's all subjective.

For rugs that need to be a close match to existing colors in the room, buying locally is probably a much better bet.

• User
    10 years ago

I ordered a rug from Overstock, and have ordered bedding.

The photos are usually close, but I ordered a recycled denim and jute rug, so there was little room for error.

• sas95
    10 years ago

I have ordered 2 rugs from Overstock. Neither looked like the pictures but they would have been pricey to return. So they are both used on the floors of our walk-in closets now. I will not buy another rug without seeing it in person. I know others here have been happy with their purchases, though.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I've ordered rugs from Overstock and, yes, the color was off. Turns out, though, the first was perfect in another room and so I kept that one. It was a Safavieh rug which they don't advertise for some reason. The second rug, same problem, and that time I called letting them know that the color was not as depicted and they gave me a full refund. I would suggest trying to find that rug in a store, then buying from Overstock. Check their policy before ordering. They are very helpful. Good luck

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If color & quality are critical, then order the very smallest size they offer as a test. This way, if you have to send it back, it doesn't cost you a fortune. They have the 4x6 for about $80.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I ran into a rug color issue with Home Decorators recently. The description said light green, the picture was clearly brown. I actually could have considered either because the room was mostly empty, but I still wanted to know the color. Mint green or sage green -- big difference!! So I called them to discuss the return shipping issue if I didn't like it. They agreed the picture and the description did not match and they said that if I ordered it and I did not like the color (no matter what color it was), they would allow me to return it with free shipping on the return (as well as the free shipping to get it to me). (for a 8' round rug, that's considerable!). They also threw in if I didn't like the quality for ANY reason, they would also honor that same deal for me.

They were surely looking to make a sale (and they did!). You may find similar helpfulness if you call overstock.

Beware that if the item comes with free shipping to you, some places will charge you back the cost of "free" shipping if you return an item -- not to mention the cost of shipping it back.

Be very sure...

p.s. my rug came in a nice shade of light sage green and I love it.

p.p.s. re reviews, I think when some people write a review, they are under the impression it is for the specific color/size/whatever that they bought so it doesn't seem obvious that they have to mention it. I find that sometimes the reviews get bunched together with similar items. So I try to always start a review with exactly what I purchased.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

After I dropped the SECOND dozen eggs on my good oriental runner that I had in the kitchen, and had it cleaned AGAIN, I bought a polypropylene oriental-looking runner from Overstock. I moved the good oriental out of harm's way.

I have had the Overstock runner for at least 3 years. It has held up fine. I even dumped an entire bucket of Oxyclean and water on it. Threw it over a wall on the patio for a couple of days to dry and you can't tell anything ever happened to it.

The corners and the sides have held up fine. It did not have any noticeable shedding when it was new and it doesn't now.

I can't comment on color. I wasn't trying to match anything. I just needed something in the reddish family and that is what I got.

I bought a good pad to go under it, also from Overstock. It is a classic oriental rug pad - looks like thick, gray felt. I think one side of the pad might have a non-skid surface. I'm happy with the entire purchase.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

After I dropped the SECOND dozen eggs on my good oriental runner that I had in the kitchen, and had it cleaned AGAIN, I bought a polypropylene oriental-looking runner from Overstock. I moved the good oriental out of harm's way.

I have had the Overstock runner for at least 3 years. It has held up fine. I even dumped an entire bucket of Oxyclean and water on it. Threw it over a wall on the patio for a couple of days to dry and you can't tell anything ever happened to it.

The corners and the sides have held up fine. It did not have any noticeable shedding when it was new and it doesn't now.

I can't comment on color. I wasn't trying to match anything. I just needed something in the reddish family and that is what I got.

I bought a good pad to go under it, also from Overstock. It is a classic oriental rug pad - looks like thick, gray felt. I think one side of the pad might have a non-skid surface. I'm happy with the entire purchase.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have ordered 4 rugs from Overstock and they were all very true to the image and description. Two rugs are runners that are in high traffic hallways, one rug is a 5x8 Morraccan Trellis pattern in my grandaughter's nursery. The fourth rug is the one below in my kitchen. It has had some spills on it and cleans up very nicely.

Sorry I don't have pictures of the other rugs and the website pictures but they were a good match. The runner rugs and the one in my kitchen have been in use for 3 years and holding up very well. I would not hesitate to order rugs from Overstock again. I did read all the reviews. If quite a few say the color is way off, I would probably look for one with better reviews.

The 2 rugs you posted are beautiful. The second one may have the same description and same colors listed but it is a different pattern so I wouldn't count on the color being exactly the same as in the first rug. I do think it is a close enough match that it would probably work once you have it in place with the other elements in your room

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

I've ordered rugs from overstock and found their customer service dept exceptional. I wanted a runner for our bathroom but the one that was described as having 1/2" thick pile arrived and had no pile and a plastic-y backing. I called and explained that the rug didn't match the description, and was immediately told that I'd be sent a prepaid return shipping label by email and refunded the charge. The next rug that was described as blue was a pure gray with not a trace of blue. Again they immediately sent another prepaid return label to me and a refund. I was about to give up but the third time was the charm, and I got a rug I really like now from them and it's held up very well.

I also ordered a 4x6 rug and another small rug, and they were exactly right the first time. So my experience is, if the item arrives damaged or isn't as described, including pile, size, color, whatever, they will cheerfully pay the return shipping and promptly give a refund--just call customer service. It convinced me to carefully read the reviews and the descriptions/specifications, and then give them a try. Good luck!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I have ordered many rugs from Overstock. You definitely run the risk of not knowing what the true color is going to be. I agree you should order a small one to get an idea and it would be inexpensive to return if its not the right one.

I agree they have excellent customer service.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I haven't ordered a rug from Overstosk and only had one small jewelry item to return (clasp was broken), but I cam back to look at this thread after seeing a Dyson vac that shows a list price of $399 on Amazon and elsewhere -- Overstock shows list as over $800! Make sure you know what the value really is, but as far as the colors, it looks like the rug you are showing may be more a factor of the exposure of the photo than any difference in the rug color itself.

• southboundtrain
    10 years ago

Well, I ordered the exact rug you are considering! 10X10. It was delivered 36 hours after I ordered it, even tho the estimated delivery was 2 weeks! So, haven't opened it yet but will keep you posted when I do.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Southbound! I'm psyched to hear you ordered it. Can you take a peek at the color and tell if it's a red or an orange? Or which pic the color is closest to?

This post was edited by bocron on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 12:17

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

Check both pictures again. The patterns are similar, but not the same! It could be they are two different sizes or two different rugs.
    I have ordered about 5 rugs from Overstock and kept all but one. The color was close, but off enough that it did not work. I paid about 40 in return shipping cost on an 8X10 rug.
    The next rug I ordered, I ordered the smaller size first and liked it so I then ordered the 8X10 and the colors matched perfectly, but the design grew bigger and I liked it better on the smaller rug. I kept it anywhere and it has been okay.
    I also bought a nice quality rug at Lowe's and they have a good return policy.

• teeda
    10 years ago

I have ordered four rugs from Overstock--two hand knotted, one hand woven, and a Safavieh sea grass. I have been pleased with all but one--an inexpensive hand knotted throw rug whose colors were much more vivd in person than on the site. I kept it because it wasn't worth the expense of shipping it back. I am pleased with the look of the sea grass carpet, and the price was good, but it is much more uncomfortable on the foot than I was expecting (I did a lot of research and reading here on natural rugs so thought I made a good choice). Again, however I am keeping the rug--not worth the trouble/expense of shipping it back.

As others said, carefully read all the reviews. Also, copy the item number and general description of the rug into your search engine and you should be able to find other dealers. Read their reviews as well, and see if the color looks different from Overstock.

The only other rug I ever ordered on-line was from Home Depot. The quality was terrible compared to Overstock.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

bo, if you haven't already ordered, sign up for Overstock's emails. They will fill your mailbox, but they will also send you a 10% off coupon initially. Then from time to time, they'll send emails with other % off offers.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

After reading dozens of reviews, I ordered my living room rug (9x12) from Overstock 7 years ago and it has held up fine. The rug and runner were a perfect match. I've shampooed it over the years and it's still holding up very nicely.

I've bought leather living room furniture, bedding, tiffany-style lamps, dinnerware, etc. all without a problem. BTW, as others have stated, they have excellent customer service. Goodluck to you.

• southboundtrain
    10 years ago

Bocron, tried to reply yesterday but couldn't get anything to post--probably my computer. So, I used a flashlight to look down the rolled up rug. It's definitely not reddish, more a muted rust, the border is sort of tan with a very thin line of lilac (!?). Will let you know as soon as it is opened what it really looks like, my DH isn't thrilled about having to actually help me move furniture. He would never do anything to the house if he had his druthers.

• kitchenwitch
    10 years ago

I bought a hand-tufted 8x10 Oriental rug from Overstock about 5 years ago. It was only a few hundred dollars, and at the time I didn't want anything expensive because it was for a room that got a lot of use, my kids were still home and my cats had claws. The color wasn't exactly what I expected, but it was close enough. The pile was thick and luxurious when I first put it down, and then it shedded and shedded and shedded. Now it's a thin pile rug and when I move it won't be coming with me. For the price, it has done it's job, but I wouldn't buy another one. It might do better in a room without too much traffic.

• southboundtrain
    10 years ago

Finally got the rug open. It is beautiful--not as muted as I thought, definitely rust, not red, and, ahem, "lilac" line I mentioned is actually brown and nearly invisible. Very true to the photo on Overstock. It looks like it's been on my dining room floor forever. I can't imagine that I will ever think this rug wasn't worth it. It's not a $10,000 oriental, (my second choice - ha) but it is lovely. Even my husband likes it and he has better taste than I.