SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamaraz_gw

Chair rail in dining room - darker color on top or bottom?

jamaraz
14 years ago

Hi. I am planning on putting a chair rail in my dining room. I would like to either paint the walls 2 different colors or perhaps paint and wallpaper. Does the darker color or wall paper go on top of the chair rail or on the bottom?

The dining room chairs I ordered are tan with some red tones. It is a muted design. I still need to get a rug and window treatments. The painter is coming to paint other rooms in my house and I would like him to paint the dining room as long as he was here. I don't know what I will pick for the rug/windows but I know it will be reds/gold/greens/browns. I am putting raised paneling in my hallway and I would like my dining room to have some "heft" to compete with the heaviness of the raised paneling. I was thinking of a color combo of BM cork and tapestry gold. I would then paint my hallway desert tan. My husband wants to paint the dining room a dark red or burgundy. I would consider this or else a wallpaper. I know I want stripes or paisley in my window treatments. Any suggestions or pictures would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (21)