SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

Restoration, Preservation and Integrity

vjrnts
18 years ago

Now that we have a really beautiful original lighting fixture in our house restored (and thereby preserved), I'm thinking of looking around for a matching fixture for the dining room. I can find the real deal around here from time to time at Historic House Parts, so I could replace the modern fixture that's there with an old one that matches what almost certainly was there at one time. I might be able to find a good reproduction, instead.

But should I? Am I making the house into a fake, making sure that things look original when they're not?

I don't know why this is bothering me so; this isn't a museum, it's my home. Redoing things with period-authentic pieces (even good repros) makes sense, but it seems dishonest. If people exclaim over my beautiful living room fixture, I can say "Yes, it's original, isn't it great?" but if they say nice things about a replacement in the dining room... Well, what's wrong with saying "We put that in to match the living room fixture. We're nearly certain that the original fixture was very similar"?

Why do I tie myself up in knots over these things?!

Comments (10)