SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannieo_gw

What materials do you have on your countertops?

jeannieo
19 years ago

I need ideas for countertop materials for an old house (1928 bungalow). We are taking out cabinets and everything in the kitchen now, since it is poorly configured and not original to the house anyway.

I have been all over the kitchen forum, where everyone is sold on some sort of stone surface or another. So far I just haven't been able to imagine it in our house--it just seems far too modern (and expensive). Ditto for stainless steel, Corian and concrete, and wood just doesn't seem practical for the whole kitchen.

Hubby has vetoed tile of any kind (ceramic or stone), largely because we once rented a place with horrible stains and persistent mold in the grout and I haven't been able to convince him otherwise. It's the only thing in the kitchen he has vetoed, and he has a lot of support for his opinion from friends, so I'm kinda going along with him. (Couldn't live with I-told-you-so later if he turned out to be right.)

At the present time I am leaning toward laminate by default. At least it is inexpensive enough that we can change it eventually if we don't like it (unlike stone slab, yikes).

Is there anything else out there?

Comments (79)

• house_vixen
    19 years ago

Jeannieo, the experts have pretty much covered it! Just wanted to weigh in since we went with laminate in our budget reno. If we hadn't planned it initially we may have ended up there given the way "boring" things like electrical/plumbing ate into our seems-like-a-lot-to-me-but-hey-it-doesn't-go-far budget!

Mr Vix and I chose a matte charcoal grey/soft black counter with tiny speckles for depth. Friends surprise me by being suprised that it's laminate, LOL.

We splurged on a lino floor and I wouldn't hesitate to use lino as a counter. That concept was a bit out there for Mr V at the time. Now he might go for it. I will say I'm glad to have a 5.5 stretch of wood counter on the old hutch, though. Kinda grounds me. If you can do a wood or stone inset that would be a nice luxury.

Best! I'll attach a link to photos of our ALMOST DONE AFTER 2 FREAKING YEARS kitchen (*ahem* ) Sorry, but I'm not as good with chaos as I'd like!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vix's semi-vintage budget reno (click photos to enlarge)

• User
    19 years ago

You guys are so up-to-date! I'm jealous! ;-) We have 1940s tile on the countertop. It's still in pretty good shape, so we'll be living with it for the foreseeable future.

• Related Discussions

Do you have VERY unusual countertop material

Q

Comments (3)
    Is it mother of pearl inlay in lacquer? My mother has lots of this type of furniture from Korea...I don't have any advice on cleaning, but you could google "how to clean mother of pearl lacquer" to get advice. I found one site which talked about repairing scratches on Italian lacquer furniture with car wax...you might want to look for that type of advice too.
    ...See More

do you *have* to do the backsplash if you're doing corian?

Q

Comments (23)
    It's actually built up and routed. I did not want any hard corners in my bathrooms. I don't believe the coving was $40-50 per foot upgrade because a couple of my shelves weren't much more expensive than that, total. I will try to look back and see.
    ...See More

What do you do with materials removed in your remodel?

Q

Comments (16)
    When I was with Habitat in central Texas, my affiliate was near a city that had a big retirement community. Every time a new resident moved in they changed out the lighting and appliances and sometimes cabinets - those items sold so quickly because they were nice and someone new. Many habitats have a partnership with brand names or local businesses that donate discontinued or overstock items. When we moved into our short-term purchased home in Fort Worth I donates a laundry cabinet set with countertop, extra dryer venting, and all the weird shelves in every bedroom. And then when we had to get a new roof I asked the contractor to save the downspouting and one window we had to replace because the only thing that was broken was a chip in the exterior frame. Habitat is always great as a resource when we move because we had extra paint from our whole home interior project and gardening items. We're building a house in Raleigh and purchased standard lighting and fans so when we're ready to upgrade we'll donate them.
    ...See More

When your upset or have anxiety what do you do that helps?

Q

Comments (45)
    I do much the same as Roy4. I go outside, pull weeds, deadhead, edit. The neighborhood is usually quiet other than wind, insects, birds and I can get lost in what I'm doing. And stop thinking. I should go now. My SIL just called and asked me where else to look for one of mothers hearing aids. It's not a 2000 sq foot apartment, its about 1/4 of that. Good grief, just look - since this is almost a weekly occurrence. Don't always feel the need to call me 2 hours away and try to include me in the search long distance ;0(
    ...See More
  • infodiva
    19 years ago

auntjen - Do you have pics of your countertop?? I'd love to see it!!

Barbara

• User
    19 years ago

Barbara, I don't - but as soon as we get the kitchen floor replaced (our current project), I'll take pix and will post!
    :-)

• joyce_6333
    19 years ago

We also have a bungalow (1916), and when doing our kitchen renovation, I struggled with this decision, too. Laminate for $1500, or granite / silestone for $9000. Well, It was a big splurge, but we went with the silestone. And I haven't regretted it one bit. I am not a purist, but I think we kept the kitchen sensitive to the period. Like Vix, we are still not completely done after 3 years. It's never ending in these old houses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Bungalow Kitchen

• alisande
    19 years ago

After MUCH thought (and more than a little hand-wringing) I decided on Formica's Travertine. It turned out to be such a good choice for my kitchen! I'm really happy with it. It has a beveled edge (see detail, below), which lends a nice, solid look.

• jeannieo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Joyce, that 1940's tile countertop that you have is just what I have always wanted. I grew up thinking that was the ultimate in kitchens. But like I said in the first post, can't sell DH on the idea. In most things in the kitchen, he is going along with whatever I want. And one thing I definitely want is for him to like the outcome of all this work and expense.

House Vix, I have seen your pics, and you have inspired me. After looking at your backsplash, I don't know if I can stick to my plan for plain old white beadboard. Now I am reconsidering a tile backsplash. Yours is SO beautiful. It's just the right amount of bling-bling.

Alisande, The Travertine looks great, especially with your floors. You have given me assurance that my laminate choice will look good too.

jeannieo

• Kristin_1902
    19 years ago

We're having the same dilemma. Our countertops are speckly '70s laminate ... as in, square edges with the finish wearing off. Not cute. I like the look of tile but hatehatehate cleaning grout. I like quartz countertops in that dark browny/coppery color. I want to paint the cabinets white, so I think brown would look good on top. The next best thing to butcherblock.

Might go with laminate, though. We're not entirely sure we won't rip out everything in a few years and do the "dream kitchen."

• littlebitofheaven
    19 years ago

After a lot of vascillating (marble, soapstone, granite) I chose the White Wave granite, and I love it. I was chicken to go with marble - although we have marble in other places in the house I was worried about doing countertops, and the soapstone was gorgeous, but I decided on the granite and I'm happy I did.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Wave (Bianco Kinawa) Granite

• jeannieo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

White Wave is fatastic. Just right for my kitchen. That gives me something to look forward to when I replace my laminate 5 or so years down the road. For now, the Antique Roca laminate will have to do.

Our neighbors have warned us that after you get through the room-by-room renovation, it is in your blood and you just want to keep going. I guess that's when you can go back and upgrade to all the high-end stuff you couldn't afford earlier. For now, I have two bathrooms and a laundry room waiting to remodel after the kitchen.

• spacific
    19 years ago

Against all the naysayers, we went with honed white marble and I absolutely love it. We have a simple wood table to also use as a work surface and when budget allows, we'll add a butcherblock cart next to the range for a cutting/prep surface. Our home is 1917 bungalow. For budget purposes and functionality as well as period style, think of mixing your countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spacific's kitchen

• sunrochy
    19 years ago

Spacific-
    OT, but I like the folding doors! How did you come up with the idea and was it what you expected after a while? Also how is it locked up for security?

Thanks

• spacific
    19 years ago

SunRochy,
    So far, everything's great with the doors. It's wonderful to leave the entire doorway open on nice days. Great for parties. And we've been through two major multi-day rainstorms (the worst of our winter weather) with no problems. I've seen some version of the doors many times... NY restaurants, Hawaii lanais, a spa in LA, but I tracked down the info. on one I liked through an architect featured in Sunset Magazine a couple of years ago. Every other door has a pair of locking sliding bolts top and bottom to secure the doors and then the end one can function just like a regular door and has a regular key lock. I think it's more secure than any other part of the house, LOL! Feel free to email me directly if you need specific mfr. info.

• Hard_Head
    19 years ago

Hopefully my new linoleum countertops will go in this week. Bought Armstrong Marmarette linoleum from Home Depot (yes, Home Depot!!), and the rippled aluminum T-molding from Outwater.com. I'll let you know how it turns out and post some photos when complete.

• sunrochy
    19 years ago

Spacific-
    Thanks for the information!

• Debbie Downer
    19 years ago

Hard head,

Good timing, I need some counters. Could you tell me what your counters will cost, including the board to back it, glue, trim & everything? For how many feet of counter is that?

(Id be installing myself.)

• Hard_Head
    19 years ago

Kashka, I bought 10 yards of Marmorette for $219.90. I don't remember exactly how many feet that is, but it is 6.5' wide and I needed around 13 linear feet to keep from having to join it in the corners. The T-molding is sold in 12' lengths ($1.09 per linear foot), and I had it cut down to 8' + 4' length to be able to ship UPS (oversized shipping was $45 for 48').

Those are really the only prices I know. My builder has worked with linoleum before and will be doing the work. Right now he has plywood on top of the cabinets for a base. I'll let you know more when I find out the process.

• jeannieo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hard Head--please, please, please post pictures and give us the nitty gritty details when you get it done. Linoleum countertops have been a source of much wonder and mystery for those of us in the throes of remodeling an old kitchen. There is a long thread about it over under Remodeling.

All you lovers of granite--I have been won over. After picking a laminate color/pattern that I am perfectly happy with, I stumbled onto a stone shop with prices so low I can't believe it. Brought home half a dozen samples, and found that Verde Maritaka looks just like the granite in my inspiration photo (which I thought I couldn't afford). It's gray-green, with a lot of gray and black and a bit of white, with beautiful veining. I'm won over. Even with installation, it is only $250-$300 more than I expected to pay for the laminate with a fancy edge and 4-inch backsplash. (Of course, I am not getting a fancy edge or a 4-inch granite backsplash at this price--that adds up fast!)

I even like the look of the 2 cm better than the thicker slab. I think the thinner line will be more in scale in my small kitchen.

I have been inspired by Spacific's photos on the gallery to seriously consider a wall mount faucet on a tile backsplash. It's just the touch of vintage that I need in my 1928 bungalow. I will have to chat with my plumber about it next week when he comes to fix a drain problem in my laundry room.

I will post a link that IS NOT my source, but the photo looks much like the slab I saw this afternoon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verde Maritaka granite

• autumn_mi
    19 years ago

So do you mind sharing the price of the granite?

I'm building and after going through all the choices - leaning towards granite.

TIA

• jeannieo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

TIA, my estimate for granite is $1,029. That's for 2 cm, plain edges (squared off cut with edges smoothed), counter deck only (no backsplash). My kitchen has a galley layout, so we will have two countertops. The "sink side" is 8 ft, 8 in long with sink in the middle. The "stove side" will have a 30-inch slide-in range in the middle, with 37" (and a fraction) of countertop on each side of the range.

The estimate includes a 2-inch strip of granite between the stove and backsplash. I wanted that in my estimate as an option. However I am planning to have a stainless backsplash behind my stainless range, with a stainless OTR Whirlpool Speedcook, and so I will probably choose to have a stainless strip on the counter behind the range as well.

Estimate does not include the additional fee for the sink cutout, which they quoted at $50 for a topmount, $250 for an undermount.

The material I chose was priced at $10 per sf. In round figures, about a third of the estimate is material. The owner showed me about 10 granites at that price, and I got samples of four that I liked, plus samples of a couple priced at $15 per sf. He had more expensive granites as well. He said granites were priced based on how rare or hard to obtain they are. The verde maritaka I have chosen comes from Brazil, and that's really about all I know about it. I suspect it is fairly common, and I wouldn't call it at all flashy (which is fine with me).

You didn't ask, but for comparison, I have an estimate from Home Depot for Antique Roca laminate by Wilson, with 180-degree rounded edge and a 4 inch backsplash. Price was $730, including installation.

I don't have any other estimates for granite, but I have looked at samples in four or five places and I had not seen anything except granite tile at $10 per sf. As I said in the OP, DH vetoed tile, including granite, and I didn't think I could afford stone slab, so I hadn't seriously looked at it until my KD more or less pushed me to check out this fabricator. (XOXOX, KD.)

Good luck with your plans for your new home.

Jeannieo

• nancylouise5me
    19 years ago

Another granite countertop here. Uba Tuba is the one we have. We picked it as much for its duribility as its beauty. Ease of maintenance, doesn't need to be sealed, and has withstood books,backpacks,knives,pots and pans, repotting plants and more (we are a busy family) Not a scratch. NancyLouise

• Sharon_G_in_MA
    19 years ago

What a lovely choice! I think you will be thrilled. Verde San Francisco is another one of my favorites, and looks similar to what you have chosen except a tad less contrast.

I ended up with white painted cabinets and New Venetian Gold counters, though this time I was not going with a period look because the rest of the house was more "family traditional" and not period. I love the swirly greens and littlebit's White Wave with the somewhat more period kitchens. I think you will love it.

• binsb
    19 years ago

We have awful off-white & peach tiles on the kitchen (circa 1929) counters - HATE the grout and the clean up.

We re-did the bathroom which did not have a counter at all & have granite now. We can't wait until we can do a kitchen remodel & do granite countertops there as well.

• Rudebekia
    19 years ago

I just completed a period-look kitchen renovation in my 1923 bungalow. I used a honed green/gray granite: Verde Fontaine. It works wonderfully.

• jeannieo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Marita, I saw Verde Fontaine when I went to the granite yard today. It was gorgeous--made me think twice about the verde maritaka slabs that I had just selected. They were very, very similar in color--the verede marita has a great deal of veining while the verde fontaine is more of an allover pattern.

What color are your cabinets and appliances? Do you have photos? We sooo love to look at period kitchens.

Jeannieo

• Rudebekia
    19 years ago

Jeannieo,

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures--haven't yet invested in a digital camera! Along with my honed Verde Fontaine countertops, I have natural cherry cabinets in a Mission style (exposed hinges, inset panel doors), the original (75 year) maple floor, and stainless appliances. I consider the look an "updated" period style. It blends in wonderfully with the rest of the house but is also classy looking. You're right that the Verde Fontaine gives an all over green/gray pattern, while the Verde Maritaka is veined. I like the more uniform look, I guess--but both would work great!

• velodoug
    19 years ago

The galley kitchen in our little 1915 urban farmhouse is tiny (8' x 8'6") and it will stay that size in the upcoming remodel, so we can afford to splurge on the countertops. We will have just under four linear feet of Vermont Soapstone on the sink side and just under five linear feet of John Boos maple butcher block on the range side.

One alternative we seriously considered was combining a linoleum-looking laminate top surface with the extruded metal edging usually associated with linoleum countertops.

Doug

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

I just put another coat of tung oil on my cherry counters which look even better after a year. Doug, you are going to love the soapstone.

• tanders
    19 years ago

Lily316 ~
    I'd also like to see pictures of your Vermont soapstone and sink. I know you said you had posted them on the Kitchen forum, but I've looked, and can't seem to find them. Can you direct me to where they are posted? Is it possible your old post has "fallen off"?

Thanks for your help!

• DianaGail
    19 years ago

I am a big fan of soapstone. Just LOVE it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone West

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

We have granite.We got ours when it just got popular .We paid alot,for 2 small pieces ,10,000

• neetz
    19 years ago

Jeannieo-congrats on your choice, which sounds great! We have a 1927 Sears Kit House, also a bungalow with a galley kitchen. Based on our appliance preferences (all stainless) and sleek cabinet preferences, we realized early on that we weren't going to prioritize a period look for that room (but we're maintaining it in our retro master bath!). I think hyou want to make choices that accommodate your lifestyle and cooking preferences, and it sounds like your choices will do that very well. We landed up going with Corian counters because we fell in love with a color scheme (Mardi Gras) that a friend had installed and echoed those colors in our deco tile backsplash. Enjoy!

• mikepoole
    19 years ago

Richlite hasn't been mentioned yet-

We've installed it this year in our 1928 bungalow and find the material to be very in keeping with the feel of the house...

www.richlite.com

• Debbie Downer
    19 years ago

Just got some 2" thick maple from early 1900s from salvage yard --enough to make 16' of countertop for only $130. These boards are pretty grungy but they had some there which had already been cleaned up and sanded, and they were gorgeous honey color & perfect grain. I swear Ive never seen wood so hard and dense--like a rock (heavy as a rock too!)

• Blooangl
    19 years ago

I'm using concrete as my countertops...not historical in any way, but it's my kitchen, I can DIY it, and it's cheap, which is a huge consideration for us...we're trying to do the kitchen for under 2,000

• wilsonb
    19 years ago

mikepoole, Richlite has been recommended to us for our fairly small, circa 1950 (with original cabinets and a new linoleum floor) kitchen. The only color that works for us is black. I'm finding it difficult to learn much about it. How did you decide on Richlite, and how are you finding it? Thanks.

• mikepoole
    19 years ago

wilsonb-

check the Richlite website for info, sample ordering and dealer locator.

www.richlite.com

I first heard of it on this forum (actually the kitchen forum), and we're loving it. It is a patina surface (aka it's supposed to show some wear) and we're just getting to the point where the first marks are starting to blend in. The look and especially the feel of the material are wonderfully warm- even in the black, which we have.

• mollymaples
    19 years ago

I was seriously contemplating using wood flooring to cover some of my pink countertops. I really don't like pink. With all the woodent countertops, is there any reason not to cover the existing countertops with wood flooring and then covering that with a good wax or equivalent? Also thought about covering with cement. Reinforcing with wire, but I am not sure how thick it needs to be to avoid cracking.

• valtog
    19 years ago

Another bungalow owner:) We put in butcherblock and I love it.

• bungalowbees
    19 years ago

1914 Craftsman bungalow reporting, 3 separate counters.

old countertops:
    white square (diamond) tile counter (tiled-in big-back sink)
    linoleum with metal trim on second counter,
    & on a small third spot

upcoming remodel:
    white 1" hexagon tile with bayberry / black pattern on wet counter (tile-in sink)
    butcher block on dry counter
    marble for small baking spot

New remodeling choices are as much for function as to maintain period feel.

• Debbie Downer
    19 years ago

I like the idea of the hexagon tiles-- how would you do the edges though?

• bungalowbees
    19 years ago

I might not understand the question. Do you mean because they're small with odd angles? They're simply cut straight and butted up against the V-cap (or box cap) at the counter edge, and against the 3x6 subway wall tile. The white field tile continues to the edge so anything uneven is less noticeable. The eye is drawn to the pattern and overall effect.

I have a bathroom floor in white hex and I don't "see" the edge -- I "see" the tile baseboard perimeter of the wall.

• bungalowbees
    19 years ago

Wait! Maybe I understand! Maybe you're asking about the edge because it wasn't clear the walls will also be tiled. Perhaps the wall tile will come down straight on top of the hexagon to make an easy line, although the existing tile counter butts up against the wall...

The tilesetter and I will be chatting about the slope into the sink as well. There is a round piece to tile-in the sink. Yet another edge you could be asking about...

• Debbie Downer
    19 years ago

I meant the front edge facing you as your facing the counter... must be "box" cap or v cap you are referring to.. didn't know they were called that. Anyway, do they make those to match or fit with hex tiles... which I think are thinner (?) than the bigger tiles.

Or... wondering if a wood edge would work... assuming all materials stable and wood wouldnt expand/contract and crack away from the tile...

Do you know if they come in the various patterns or you have to work them out for yourself. Only can find all white, or all black here locally....

Hope youll post a photo of yours....

• bungalowbees
    19 years ago

I found some at Dal Tile that fit perfectly. I want a box cap in matte black but so far I have an off-white V-cap that lines up perfectly with the hex. Same thickness. Of course I plan to slope the counter slightly into the sink.

I plan a white hex field with a pattern we will make ourselves using loose black and "bayberry" tiles. There are some terrific colors available. Dal has great rich colors in hex. Have you seen them?

The woman who owns Designs in Tile (California) makes period designs to order. (Anita??) Pricey but nice. I looked into this during my bathroom remodel a few years ago but decided to stay simple (and economical).

I wouldn't use a wood edge but I'll bet you could be creative with the pieces you find. I'd hate to give up a water-tight counter by incorporating wood. There was little available (especially in my budget) when I did my bath. I came up with something creative for the baseboards when we couldn't find the "right" piece. It's been 7 years and I'm still happy with our clever baseboard.

I will absolutely post mine when I have something to post!

What are you looking for with your counter project? Is it a period project or something quite different?

• tzmaryg
    18 years ago

Not long ago I saw a Vermont farm house kitchen renov somewhere on this site, or perhaps the kitchen, or perhaps, the renov or ? It had vermont slate countertops and looked beautiful and very faithful to the spirit. Now, sigh, I can't find it. Love to find it again as well as how they like the slate now. We're strongly inclined to use it. Anyone help!!!

• corgilvr
    18 years ago

Could you be thinking of Jane Dibber's kitchen? It's my all time favorite. Check the "gallery" over at kitchens and see if it's there.

• tzmaryg
    18 years ago

Thanks, corgilvr. I couldn't find Jane Dibber's kitchen in the gallery. It would be sad if it timed out. Note to self: always take notes. If it can be found, could it be reposted??

• corgilvr
    18 years ago

Try posting a message to "janedibber" on Kitchens. She is pretty active and I bet she'll post or someone will have one. She loves her slate and linked a website this week on a soapstone thread.

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

Ok... here is the crazy thing we are trying right now... we have some oak bull nosed stair treads left over from doing the new stair case.. anyway I took one of the left overs and laid it over some boxes in the kitchen to make some workroom... well It stuck me how much I liked the look quite a bit.. so right now we are trying some experiments so see if biscuit joining them and sanding and sealing ( tung oil) and taking them for a spin by laying them on top of our old stuff and using the sample as a live surface... so far so good!

maddiemom