SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

ISO Lemon Marmalade recipe.

centralcacyclist
16 years ago

I have a friend who has a Meyer lemon tree that is loaded with fruit. I'd like to make lemon marmalade if anyone has a recipe. I did a search here and found a lemon-grapefruit recipe but would like to stick with lemons.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Why wouldn't any recipe for a citrus marmalade work?
    Here's Annie's recipe for the Honeybell stuff....I made it and it's heaven in a jar. I am sure that Meyer lemons would be wonderful using just this recipe!

used one lemon and five Honeybells, because the Honeybells are so sweet I thought the lemon would cut that a bit. I quartered the lemons and just sliced them into paper thin slices and added the whole thing with no further prep (after picking out the seeds). The Honeybells I peeled with a vegetable peeler to get just the orange part and leave the white pith, then slivered the peel. I then peeled the Honeybells of whatever white was left on them and chopped up the sections. I didn't bother to remove any of the other membrane other than the outer white covering. I didn't have six cups of peel and orange pulp, total, closer to 4 cups, so I used 4 cups of water (note that the fruit/water ratio is nearly identical so I figured as much water as I had fruit). I also added sugar equivalent to the amount of cooked fruit, which was also about 4 cups. It took a long time to cook to jell stage, so don't get impatient, it'll get there. Watch it carefully when it starts to thicken, it'll scorch easily.
    Orange Marmalade
    2 cups thinly sliced orange rind
    1 quart chopped orange pulp
    1 cup thinly sliced lemons
    1 1/2 quarts water
    5 cups sugar
    1. Add water to fruit and simmer 5 minutes.
    2. Cover and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place.
    3. Cook rapidly until peel is tender, about 1 hour.
    4. Measure fruit and liquid.
    5. Alternate sugar with each cup of fruit mixture.
    6. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
    7. Cook rapidly, about 25 minutes.
    8. When mixture begins to thicken, stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
    9. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.

1. Adjust caps.
    2. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
    3. Yield: about 7 half pints.
      Also notice that you have to leave the fruit sit 12-18 hours so be sure to time this so it'll be ready to start cooking when you are. I started mine on Saturday night and made marmalade on Sunday afternoon after I came home from the farm.
      Good luck, it's worth it, trust me. This is yummy stuff.
      Annie
  • readinglady
    16 years ago

Delia Smith has a nice Lemon-Lime Marmalade, but if you want only lemon, here's one from Country Living Magazine.

Title: Lemon Marmalade - Country Living
    Keys: Holidays Preserves Lemon Citrus
    Yield: 6 Cups

Ingredients:

10 lrg Lemons
    4 cup Water
    4 cup Sugar
    Fabric circles and ribbon, (opt.)

Method:
    1. Using vegetable peeler, remove yellow part of peel in strips from lemons. Cut strips into 1-by 1/8-inch strips. With knife, cut off all white membrane, or pith, from peeled lemons.

2. Cut peeled lemons crosswise into 1/4- inch-thick slices. In heavy nonaluminum 5-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine lemon peel, sliced fruit, and water. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.

3. Heat lemon mixture to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lemon mixture is very soft-about 1 hour.

4. Add sugar to lemon mixture and increase heat to medium-high; stir until sugar dissolves. Heat to boiling and reduce heat just so mixture boils gently. Boil uncovered, stirring frequently, until candy thermometer registers 220'F- 45 to 60 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, prepare three 1-pint canning jars with their lids and bands for processing following manufacturer's directions.

6. Spoon marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch space at top ofjars.

Wipe jar rims clean. Seal with lids and bands. Process jars in boiling-water bath 15 minutes. Cool jars on wire rack. Label jars; store in cool, dry place.

7. For gifts, if desired, decorate each jar with a fabric circle tied on with ribbon. After opening jar, store marmalade in the refrigerator.

Epicurious also has a Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Gourmet Magazine.

Carol

• Related Discussions

HELP with Marmalade recipe

Q

Comments (12)
    A pinch of baking soda is added to reduce bitterness (American-style marmalade because we love our sweet, LOL). It's totally optional. I've never used it myself. The size of the pieces of peel affects the character of the marmalade. Finely shredded peel tends to "melt in" while larger squares or pieces retain a separate identity. That means as you consume the marmalade you'll be biting into candied peel, tasting a distinct combination of bitter and sweet. You can take any recipe and alter the size of the citrus pieces to suit your taste. Lots of marmalade recipes call for some proportion of sliced fruit. Again, it adds character and the candied slices look very pretty in the jar. Carol
    ...See More

Annie1992 question about your marmalade recipe

Q

Comments (3)
    olychick, that's kind of confusing, I know. It's actually a recipe I got from Carol/Readinglady, and it's definitely worth the trouble. Measure the fruit and add a cup to the cooking pot. Add a cup of sugar, stir to dissolve, then add more fruit, stir, add more sugar, stir, keep alternating until it's all in the pot. That way the sugar will dissolve and not clump up or stay grainy. Happy Canning! Annie
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Marmalade recipe search

Q

Comments (1)
    Welcome! The one below sounds sort of similar & it's from an old Joy of Cooking (1974 but Joy of Cooking has been around for eons.) Here is a link that might be useful: Marmalade
    ...See More

ISO Creamy lemon Dressing recipe

Q

Comments (7)
    Cindy's sounds delicious. Another to try is a sauce mousseline. It's great as you get all the flavours but the calories are cut (a bit lol) with the egg white. Make a mayo as usual with an egg yolk, salt, pepper, mustard and add some lemon juice at the end. You could grate some zest too if you like. Beat the egg white til stiff and gently fold it into the mayo. Or, you can put the mayo through a siphon, but pass it through a sieve first to make sure there aren't any bits to block the nozzle. This sauce is great with asparagus, hot or cold fish.....
    ...See More
  • Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Some alternatives might interest you:

Lemon Marmalade
    500g (3 large, 1lb)) lemons
    1 1/2 cups water
    3 cups sugar

Quarter lemons, discard seeds. Chop lemons finely in processor or blender. Place into a deep dish with water, cook in microwave on HIGH 10 minutes or until lemon rind is tender. Stir in sugar, cook on HIGH 18 minutes or until jam jells when tested on cold saucer; stir occasionally during cooking. Stand 5 minutes before pouring into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

Lemon Jam
    6 large lemons
    2.5 litres water
    2.5kg sugar

Slice lemons very thinly. Put into an earthenware bowl and cover with the water. Stand for at least 36 hours, longer if possible. Boil for 1 hour, then add sugar and boil until jam jellies when tested on a spoon or plate (about 30-45 minutes).

Lemon Ginger Marmalade
    4 cups sugar
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons peeled, grated fresh ginger root
    grated rind and juice of 2 large lemons
    1kg cooking apples

Peel, core and chop apples finely. Boil together the sugar and water for 5 minutes, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add ginger, lemon rind, juice and apples. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until it gels when tested. Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal.

Lemon Butter (curd)
    6 lemons
    500g sugar
    6 eggs
    125g butter

Beat eggs at high speed until light, add sugar. Place in a double saucepan with the butter and grated rind of 2 lemons. Squeeze out the juice of the lemons and add to the egg mixture. Cook over low heat until thick. Bottle and seal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bitter lemon marmalade

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

both of these are tried and true on the forum. They are very good!

MEYER LEMON MARMALADE

6 Meyer lemons (1 1/2 lb)
    4 cups water
    4 cups sugar
    Cheesecloth
    Kitchen string
    6 (1/2-pint) Mason-type jars, sterilized

Halve lemons crosswise and remove seeds. Tie seeds in a cheesecloth bag. Quarter each lemon half and thinly slice. Combine with bag of seeds and water in a 5-quart nonreactive heavy pot and let mixture stand, covered, at room temperature 24 hours.
    Bring lemon mixture to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, about 45 minutes. Stir in sugar and boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally and skimming off any foam, until a teaspoon of mixture dropped on a cold plate gels, about 15 minutes.
    Ladle hot marmalade into jars, filling to within 1/4-inch of top. Wipe rims with dampened cloth and seal jars with lids.
    Put jars in a water-bath canner or on a rack set in a deep pot. Add enough hot water to cover jars by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Boil jars, covered, 5 minutes and transfer with tongs to a rack. Cool jars completely.
    Cooks' note:
    Â Marmalade keeps, stored in a cool, dark place, up to 1 year.

Makes 6 (1/2-pint) jars
    Gourmet- December 1999

MEYER LEMON AND VANILLA BEAN MARMALADE

1 1/4 pounds Meyer lemons
    5 cups water
    5 1/2 cups (about) sugar
    1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
    Pinch of salt

Working on large plate to catch juice, cut lemons in half lengthwise, then very thinly crosswise. Discard seeds. Pack enough lemons and any juice to measure 2 1/2 cups. Transfer to large nonreactive pot. Add 5 cups water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand uncovered overnight.
    Measure lemon mixture (there should be about 5 1/2 cups). Return to same pot. Add equal amount of sugar (about 5 1/2 cups). Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Add pinch of salt. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Attach clip-on candy thermometer. Maintaining active boil and adjusting heat to prevent boiling over, cook until temperature reaches 230°F, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to jars. Cover and chill. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Keep refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

Makes about 4 1/2 cups.
    Bon Appétit February 2005

AnnieÂs notes - When I let the lemons sit over night and then measured, I had 4 cups, not nearly 5 1/2, so I added 4 cups of sugar (sugar equal to fruit). I scraped out the vanilla beans and then tossed the pod in for good measure. I fished the pod out before jarring up the marmalade.

It's yummy, kind of sweet. The vanilla adds a different dimension of sweetness, not distinctly vanilla but still sweeter than the recipe without the vanilla bean.
    Annie

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

The last time I made Meyer lemon marmalade I added ginger. It gave it a nice zing. My FIL loved it and ate it all up in a month and is begging for more.
    Clare

Lemon Ginger Marmalade
    3 lg Lemons
    3 3/4 c Cold water
    1 Piece ginger - 4x1-inch, peeled, cut into thick slices
    4 c Sugar

1. Cut off lemon ends. Cut lemons lengthwise into quarters, then cut crosswise into thin slices, removing and reserving seeds. Place lemon seeds in small bowl. Place lemon slices in medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup cold water to bowl with seeds and 3 cups cold water to bowl with lemon slices. Cover bowls with plastic wrap and let stand 24 hours at room temperature.

2. Transfer lemon slices with their soaking water to heavy large saucepan. Strain water from bowl with seeds into same saucepan. Wrap seeds in cheesecloth; tie with string and add to saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Cover partially and adjust heat so mixture barely simmers. Cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Puree sliced ginger with remaining 1/4 cup water in processor, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Strain mixture through sieve, pressing down on solids with spoon. Reserve 1/4 cup ginger juice.

4. Remove cheesecloth bag from saucepan and squeeze it between spoons so liquid drains back into pan. Add 4 cups sugar to lemon mixture and stir until dissolved. Add reserved 1/4 cup ginger juice. Simmer mixture uncovered until it reaches gelling stage, about 1 hour. (To test for doneness, remove pan from heat. Fill chilled spoon with preserves, then slowly pour preserves back into pan; last 2 drops should merge and sheet off spoon. One tablespoon of preserves spooned onto chilled plate and frozen 2 minutes should wrinkle when gently pushed with fingertip.)

5. Rinse clean jars, lids and screw bands in hot water. Spoon preserves into hot jar to 1/4 inch from top. Immediately wipe rim, using towel dipped into hot water. Place lid on jar, seal tightly with screw band. Repeat with remaining preserves and jars. Arrange jars on rack set into large pot. Cover with boiling water by at least 1 inch. Cover pot and boil 15 minutes.*

6. Remove jars from water bath. Cool to room temperature. Press center of each lid. If lid stays down, jar is sealed. Store in cool dry place up to 1 year. Refrigerate after opening. (If lid pops up, store preserves in refrigerator.)
    * If preserves have not been processed in water bath as described above, cover and refrigerate.

Makes about 3-1/2 cups.
    Recipe from Bon Appetit, October, 1991.

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, a bounty of variations. Now I just need to wait for the fruit to ripen. last year wasn't a good year for some reason but this year look great. I'm going to have a sticky lot of fun. This will be my first marmalade. Last summer I canned nectarine and peach butters and whole apricots.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

All I can say is I'm very jealous. Another nice thing that goes well while making myer lemon marmelade is myer lemon martinis. As I vaguely recall they are myer lemon juice and vodka, with a rim of sugar.

• centralcacyclist
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I also have access to a pomelo tree belonging to a friend. She has no interest in the fruit so when they ripen in January or February I'll get a few and make some marmalade with those as well. They are sweeter than a grapefruit.

• kent4489
    16 years ago

I made several jars of the first recipe that Carol (dishesdone) posted above. So good!