SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Moving an old house and new foundation ??

lyfia
17 years ago

We're looking at several options right now. Building new or moving an old house. There are several to find and choose from in the rural area where we are looking. House would also be moved in a rural area as well. They are all wood frame and 1 story.

I've read up on the actual moving of houses, but it all seems to be missing the information about the new foundation and when they determine if the house have to be split.

When does a house have to be split to be moved?

Do you have to have the foundation in place first or do they do the foundation after you move the house into place? Most of the houses that we are looking at currently has pier & beam. Do you need to use the same type foundation again?

It seems like it would be hard to do a foundation first and make sure it is in the right place so I would think you'd do it after, but how do they do that. Is the house resting on jacks until the foundation is into place? How do the excavate under the house or is it lifted really high to allow this?

About what is the cost of a new foundation for a house that has been moved? I would think it is more than for a new construction.

Any other info you can share would be great too.

Comments (13)