SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennysjetta

Stone veneer to spruce up exposed foundation walls?

jennysjetta
16 years ago

I'm not sure if a 1950's house qualifies as "old" but, with everything that needs to be done, it sure seems that way to me. :-)

For starters it's a ranch style house made of concrete and brick. In the front the first floor is level with the ground and in the back there is a walk out basement and garage. See attached pics to give you an idea (we're getting new garage doors soon).

Along the driveway and in the back is the exposed concrete foundation (12" thick poured concrete). It's structurally sound but not very pleasing to look at.

I was thinking of buying a natural thin stone veneer to spruce it up. Ideally I could find a stone that's used on some other houses in the area and make it look more "local". At the top, maybe use a limestone-like ledge where the concrete meets the brick. But I'm worried this is going to make it look too "hard".

I thought about wood siding on the foundation, but brick on top of wood seems backwards. Although that would soften it some.

Painting the concrete is an option too but it's not a look we're crazy about. Maybe for an inside basement room but not on the outside.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done the natural thin stone veneer? Could it be considered a DIY job for the hubby? There would be no structural component to it, just aesthetics.

Thanks in advance!

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
(To the left of the garage there is a doorway and small patio).

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)