SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jweist_gw

Repair or replace: interior doors that will be moved

jweist
11 years ago

My question is another variation of the "repair or replace" quandary. I am doing some remodeling in the interior of a not-fancy house built in 1910. I want to match the original trim and door design.

The project involves moving four of the original doors to new locations or replacing them with new doors that are made to the original specifications. The doors are 6 foot 8 inches tall and have six horizontal raised panels. They are 32", 34" and 36" wide. The doors will be painted, to match other doors and trim.

I'll include a photo. There is a sixth panel at the bottom of the door that is not completely shown.

I am paying someone else to do the door and trim work, not having much experience myself with moving doors. The cost of new solid wood doors, pre-hung and made by an Amish shop in Ohio is about $400 per door including shipping (based on three different price quotes). My carpenter charges $75 per hour total for himself and his helper.

My carpenter has observed that to move the existing doors and to get the locks and latches lined up, and most especially to true up the doors in a house where few joints are square would take a good deal of time. He believes that it will be cheaper to buy the new pre-hung doors. New doors of course will require installation labor.

My question is: does that sound about right? Meaning, does it sound right that at $75 per hour, the labor involved in moving and truing an existing door will likely be near or more than the $400 plus installation for a new door?

Thank you for your help.

Jay

Comments (8)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012