SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Increasing insulation in 2x4 frame-walled house

joel_bc
16 years ago

I own a mid-1970s frame house with 2x4 walls, plywood sheathing, and board & batten exterior siding over that. The insulation is fiberglass batts and has been estimated at R-12, though the extra ply & board layers may add just a little to that. The windows are "thermal" double-pane sealed units. This is a two-storey house, with floor area of the ground floor being about 950 sq ft, and upper floor less due to the pitched roof.

We've reduced infiltration and learned to manage the use of the interior space in the winter, and heating fuel expenditure isn't too bad. But sometimes I feel like I'd like to come up a couple notches with the insulative value of the exterior walls. Probably nothing will do that without at least removing the siding. I suppose some sort of rigid foam could be added between the ply sheathing and the siding, if this is allowed within the code (and I'm not sure about that). This would then require some "treatment" carpentry-wise where the windows and doors are situated in the walls.

What can you suggest that I could do in this situation? And please give me some sort of estimate as to how much R value your method would tend to add, and also let me know how costly (or not) such an approach might be. Thanks.

Joel

Comments (9)