SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

30 minutes manages major mayhem!

claire_de_luna
15 years ago

Ok, yes, I went a little crazy with the title, but I wanted to tell you about the 30 minutes we spent reorganizing and calming the chaos that was the storage area of my attic stairwell. I have been guilty of handing off bulk storage items to my dh and asking him to ''put this somewhere''. Whenever he would ask for ideas, it was always the attic stairwell, since we seem to run out of storage areas that are close and accessible.

Every time I would go there to find something, I would be frustrated because my husband was storing things on the stairs, keeping accessibility to a minimum, putting things on top of things in a way with no rhyme or reason. In looking around,I realized last week that when I actually put a ''system'' into place, it's easier to follow the guidelines the storage perimeters define, when it's well laid out. He never has trouble putting things away if he knows where to put it! (DUH.) I remembered a tall, skinny bookcase that I bought years ago for storage in a closet, that just might work. It DID! He handed me the items and I put them away, all in what seemed record time. We managed to put all the extra paper towels, toilet paper and bulk cleaning supplies on the bookcase and turn that little stairwell space into an extended organized pantry. Inside that mess I found items I had put on my supplies list to purchase, which I already had; by doing it together, we both knew where the items were stored. Last night and today, I keep walking to the door to look inside to get the feeling of a job well done, and it didn't take much of my day at all.

Now, if I can accomplish the same with a couple more items on my ''to do'' list today, I'll be happy!

The goal is 30 minutes or under. Does anyone else have anything they've been putting off that wouldn't actually take very long?

Comments (13)