SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Major Construction Coming: I Need Advice, Suggestions & Hand Holding!

LynnNM
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

In just six days we are having a major project starting here in our home. A conversion from in-floor heating that's starting to fail and (what's very much the norm here) swamp coolers, to major HVAC Units being installed up on our roof with largish vents put into the ceiling of each room.. We're going with a very well-known, large heating & cooling company with an A+ BBB rating, so we have that covered. But, this entire process will take two weeks, M-F 8AM- 4PM or so. I am gettng myself really stressed thinking about having workers in here all day, every day working. As well as up on our roof!

To flesh in some house info, this is a one-story all adobe brick home, 3200 sf and shaped somewhat like a boomerang (to catch the best views from every room). So, every room has walls like this, which means vents in the walls are out:

All the floors throughout are brick. And all of the ceilings are wood with beams and decorative corbels. And, they tell me that 2 vents, intake and out, need to be installed in each room. With the beams, that's going to be tricky, I think. My beautiful ceilings! The roof looks flat but we had it built with a slight pitch so that rain would drain off and not pool up there, as we have many skylights throughout the house. And there's 14-18" of space between the actual roof and ceiling that's filled with insulation that they'll have to go through to get the ductwork into every room to vent. Here's what all of our ceilings look like:

Sooooo, I'm going to be stuck here every day, all day long (except for weekends) by myself while this is happening. Both our children are grown and living out of state and DH has to be at his clinic, so him being here is sadly not an option. And, my three closest girl friends live 40 minutes to a hour away. I have 13 rooms that they'll be working in, not including our large front foyer. They'd planned on putting one in there, as well, until I reminded them that it's ceiling is an arched brick boveda ceiling (LOL). I need ideas, and advice, help!

QUESTIONS:

1) I can't see trying to stay in each room as workers are in there. They will only be working in one or two rooms a day, though. I do plan on packing away my jewelry in a safe place. Also private papers and clinic papers in our study. Small valuable pieces of art, statues, Indian pottery, too. We collect art and have it hanging everywhere, though! Do you think I should take it all down? NOT because I'm worried that they will get stolen, but that they might get bumped and damaged.

2) Anything else that you can think of that I should remove?

3) I'm probably going to tell the workers that they can use our powder room, while they're here. They will be putting vents into each of the 3 bathrooms, anyway. Good or bad idea? I wonder if they bring along a porta-potty to job sites like ours?

4) We've been told that they will put tarps down over our furniture in each room while they're working in it. I'm wondering if I should remove all the lamps. Probably, eh?

5) And, I've got a large male Doberman who's very protective of me and a 12-pound little Tibetan Spaniel who might run out a door or get stepped on. I'd take them to board during the day at a kennel, but the closest two I'd consider are about 45 minutes away. Too far! And, I don't allow Knight to get friendly with any workers here. I do have good-sized crates for each of them. I may end up giving them doggie tranquilizers and putting them in a room not being worked on with the tv up loud.

Thank you for reading through this long post of me fretting. Any ideas or advice you can give me for keeping my sanity would be appreciated. OH, AND I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT they've PROMISED us that this will all be completed by Friday, November 1st . . . as my sister is flying in for a week's visit on the 5th! Her visit has been planned for months now and can't be changed.

Lynn

Comments (24)