SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Hand Surgery Next Week and Need Some Advice, Please

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

I recently ruptured the ligament that holds my right index finger in place on my hand. For those of you in medicine, it's at the metacarpal-phalangeal joint. For those not in medicine, it's at the joint between my right index finger and my hand. As like most of them, it was a stupid rather than a dramatic injury. I was attempting to unscrew a jar lid and felt a sharp, burning pain at the joint. That's all it took.

(Sigh) In the whole grand scheme of things, this is not a major event. Cancer is major. A broken leg is major. This will be a day surgery that, per my new hand surgeon, should only take ninety minutes or so. The problem for me is that I'll then be in a splint for the next 6-8 weeks and I am right-handed! Our kids both live out of state now. DH has a busy family practice and his office is a 30 minute drive from our home. All of our siblings live out of state. My one best friend lives an hour away. The other watches her two and three year old grandsons during the day and some evenings. So, I'm going to be taking care of me, the house and the dogs everyday, M-F, from 7AM-7PM.

I'm trying to quickly come up with things I need to get done before next Monday morning (2/17). Can you help me plan, please? The only things I come up with is to make and freeze some dinners and to get the house clean. Both kind of tough because my hand is splinted and hurting, but they will get done. What am I forgetting???
Thanks!
Lynn

Comments (38)