SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Yeast (IDY) failed proof test?

Lars
9 years ago

I bought a new pound of IDY a couple of weeks ago, and I stored it in a sealed jar in the freezer. I did this with the last batch of IDY I bought six years ago, and which I just ran out of. The old batch was still working, although only slightly diminished, but the the new batch is not working well at all. The first three loaves of bread I made with it were quite heavy, but they were also experiments of a sort. One loaf had a cup of basil leaves, and so I increased the yeast quite a bit (about 1.5 times), but it was still heavy. Then today I made a regular loaf, and it rose only 2/3 as much as the loaves with the old batch of yeast. So I decided to proof the yeast in tepid water with some sugar, and it only made a very few bubbles after an hour and a half. I tasted the mixture, and it tastes very sour - almost like alcohol.

Is my yeast bad, and should I throw it out? It only cost $6 for a pound of yeast, but the last pound lasted me six years. I think I will have to look for a new source for yeast, but I do want to buy it by the pound, since I bake bread at least weekly now.

The bread I am baking now is still tasty - just very dense. Should I double the amount of yeast, or should I proof the yeast overnight before using it?

Lars

Comments (19)