SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Habanero harvest time

Lars
9 years ago

Yesterday we harvested some habanero chilies (fewer than half of the ones that are ready), and then we grilled them over mesquite charcoal and wood for a smoky flavor. After those were done, we grilled a large piece of salmon using the fish holder shown empty in the photo.

Today I made habanero sauce with the grilled chilies, and I think I have enough to last me about six months. This batch was more potent than the last one, and I might roast some more bell peppers to use as filler/extender. I also used a head of garlic in the grill basket, but that is not in the photo.

This time instead of using the food mill, I used a coarse strainer, and I think that maybe was not the best idea because I had to scrape the bottom of the strainer to get the puree out. First I had to find my swim mask and snorkel to wear while making this sauce. I had inadvertently put those in my closet when we had our counter tops installed, and so it took me a while to find them. Normally I store a snorkel in the kitchen, to use when I'm chopping onions, but it is particularly essential when making habanero sauce. I had to keep Kevin out of the kitchen so that he would not succumb to the fumes. After a while, I took my gloves off, and afterwards, I washed my hands with baking soda and then soap, and that seemed to work pretty well.

The salmon came out really good also.

Lars

Comments (6)