SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Using a calendar to help you organize

joann23456
13 years ago

Something Mustangs said on the current thread about grouping like with like made me think of this, and I thought it might be useful to someone. Mustangs was talking about making periodic inventory of stuff on hand, so you don't end up buying duplicates.

I agree with her. Further, I often make reminder entries that pop up on my calendar at the appropriate time to remind me of what I already have. For example, at the end of summer in 2009, I discovered that I had three hose diverters, bought at a dollar store, so I put a reminder on my calendar for May 1 of this year that said, "You have 3 hose diverters. Top shelf in shed." As another example, I recently had another reminder pop up that said, "27 Christmas cards left. Bottom shelf in office closet." I must have put it there last year, to remind me not to buy cards this year. I might see "No, you *don't* need more Christmas lights" in November, and "You already have a zillion sand toys in the shed" might pop up in May.

I also make reminders of other things in my calendar. This October, an entry reading, "Take socks for Chloe to Kids' Day" popped up, reminding me of last year when she had to take her shoes off for the bouncy house and she froze.

I also find calendar entries are great to organize certain notes. For example, if I have a doctor's appointment on my calendar, I'll use the note that goes along with the calendar entry to list what I want to talk to her about. Then it's all in one place, and since my calendar is on my cell phone, it's with me all the time. (Though, having had a lot of medical problems, I'm more likely to print out the list and hand her a copy at the beginning of our appointment.) I have an entry for "Books to Read" and another for "Movies to See" that pop up every month, also using the note feature. (I always kept a list, but I would forget to look at it. This way, it pops up right in front of my nose every month.)

I use an electronic calendar, so space isn't an issue. I don't know if this would work as well with a paper calendar, but I thought I might mention it in case it helps someone.

Comments (18)