SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_thinking

Q about house inspection before auction

kiki_thinking
15 years ago

I've made arrangements for a structural engineer/house inspector to come look at a home we are thinking about buying - I don't have any experience with this and I'm wondering how much detail his report will give us.

Like, for instance, I know that the PO had "some updating" of the electric done but I don't know to what extent they did whatever they did. The realtor mentioned that when she turned on the hall light last time there was "a small fire" (the fixture smoked and burned out) and the real estate company had their electrician repair the problem.

So I'm wondering how much detail I can expect from the inspector. Will just identify what types of wiring he sees? Will he be able to determine or just give an educated guess at what is likely behind the walls? Will he say "yep, looks like a problem in the hallway" or tell me something like "you need to get an electrician in here to see what's going on the electric is not up to code" or will he be able to tell us what parts are sound and what parts need to be updated and give us a rough estimate of cost? Will he be able to tell me what caused the hall problem and if it's an issue with that one area or all over the house or as a result of moisture problems or ... Same with termite issues. I know they house had some termite problems about 5 years ago - the house was treated and there was a little structural work done in the basement. The house has been empty for 2 years so I can only assume the bugs are back. Will he just say "Yep, I see evidence of termites?" or will he say "This area needs treated and replaced" or could he even tell us if necessary "If you enter this house, hide your pencils or the termites will have them." etc.

I'm going with him for the full house inspection on Friday September 12th - We will get his report the following Tuesday and the house is being auctioned on Wednesday, so we don't have a lot of time. I'll be the one going thru the house with him and I only really know a little about old houses, just what I've read on this board. Any help or suggestions about what else I should ask would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (8)