SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armisteadgardens

Metal Interior Steps: What to do?

armisteadgardens
15 years ago

Hello,

I have a 1940s cinderblock rowhouse. The interior steps to the second floor are a single piece of molded metal (steel?). Currently they are covered in horrible carpet that my dog has taken to peeing on, so it has to go. Replacing the old carpet with less offensive carpet is not an option, due to above-mentioned dog.

The bullnose on each tread is actually molded into the steps -- which makes it impossible to use laminate flooring on them because the laminate bullnose trim is designed to fit on a 90 degree angle. I talked to a contractor and he said he could fit in pieces of wood under the bullnose to create a 90 degree angle, but it would cost a fortune. Sadly, I do not have a fortune.

I think I have two options:

1. Tile the steps

2. Paint the steps and use stair tread rugs

If I tile the steps, I'll need to find tiles that fit around the bullnoses on the treads. I was thinking of using chair rail tiles, with a lot of thinset to prevent any gaps between the tile and the metal bullnose. Feasible? Ugly? Dangerous? Or simply brilliant?

If I paint them, then what do I do about the transition to the upper level flooring? It is concrete underneath the horrible carpet. I am thinking of just painting the concrete for now and using area rugs. I would like to install laminate up there next year, but if I painted the steps, how would I transition to the upper level without causing enough of a difference in height to cause someone to trip?

Also, does anyone else have painted floors? What do you think about them?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (8)