SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gayle0000

Life Lessons/Life Changes and the Stuff

gayle0000
15 years ago

I started typing this under the "Best organizing tips/Worst Mistakes" thread, but it took a life of it's own as I started typing, so I'm making it a new thread.

I've never been one to have or store a lot of excess "stuff" to begin with. Howver, I think the way our lives change and the lessons we learn in life have a lot to do with how we keep or let go of the stuff and any mind baggage they may be attached to. I'll keep this story on-target without all the backup details.

I got divorced a year ago. I left with DD. The exH was verbally & mentally abusive and controlling. I was starting to question who I really was anymore and finally realized the emotional stress and loss of control was not good for me and was not even close to how I wanted my life to be. Our house and things (stored or displayed) were about what made him feel good and how it was perceived by everyone else. It prevented me from raising DD or living life in a healthy way.

We left, and I had time to get my head cleared and my focus back on track.

Here's what I learned for myself:

As a general rule, if a "thing", a group of things, or a area of things disrupts my life, my quality of life, my happiness, or my household in any way; if something causes me stress or worry just by it being there, or it's something I'm having to struggle with or work around, it has no place in my home. It doesn't belong here. It's either good, happy vibes for us, or it's gone.

If something needs cleaned or cleared because it bugs me, then I do it. I have better things to think about and would rather use my brain scatter on happy things.

I know this is an odd post. I was just reading various posts about clutter and stress and all this mind jumble just had to come out of me. I hope it helps someone.

Comments (8)