SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookingofjoy

1912 craftsman farmhouse kitchen

cookingofjoy
13 years ago

I've just recently found this forum, and I've greatly appreciated the conversation and everyone's willingness to share!

We have a 1912 Craftsman influenced farmhouse, and it has maple floors throughout. The kitchen had asbestos vinyl glued to the wood flooring, and the wood had to be taken out for the asbestos abatement. I can't imagine that we would be successful finding flooring that would match the rest of the home, so I've been reading on kitchen flooring. What I've read by Stickley is the white tile floor, white cabinets, white enameled sink. We have three original base cabinets in the garage (in poor condition), more of a dark cherry-finished maple shaker style that we're going to try to do something similar for the cabinets (so we're not doing all-white).

We've looked at marmoleum, though we're looking to reopen a wall joining a room with the original maple flooring, and we thought marmoleum might not be a great flooring for transitioning between the spaces. And as we get to the bathrooms I think I'd like to use white hex tile there, so probably not also in the kitchen.

Elsewhere in general overviews of craftsman kitchens, I've read that slate would be an option, but I've not read any specific descriptions. Would slate tile be an appropriate flooring? What size would tiles be? Would there be a pattern or layout that would be most appropriate? Or a more appropriate flooring choice?

Comments (9)