SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Questions about making yeast dough

stir_fryi SE Mich
13 years ago

Tonight I used my new mixer to make Alton Brown's pretzels. I have never used yeast before and I am very pleased with how they turned out.

However... I admit I don't know what I was doing when making the dough.

Here are the directions:

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.

In the video, he mixes the water, yeast, salt and sugar and adds it to the flour which is already in the mixer bowl. I did that but when I started the mixer with the dough hook on it, the dough hook just wasn't picking up the flour at the sides and bottom of the bowl. I kept stopping the mixer and scraping the bowl. Finally, it all came together and formed a "ball" on the dough hook. Round and round it went then suddenly no more ball and dough was on the hook and in the bottom of the bowl again. I stopped it that point and scraped into into another bowl to rise.

It did work ok -- it rose ok but my question is -- at what point is it "done" in the mixer? Is it when it is all stuck on the hook and flailing around?? Why didn't my dough come together in the beginning more easily? Should I have added the liquid, then the flour a little at a time???

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida