SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Make your house do the housework

pinktoes
16 years ago

We're getting ready to build a new/final house and I'm trying to plan my choices of finishes and my organization so as to semi-retire from my lifelong career of tending the house. For years I've had a book titled Make Your House Do The Housework by Don Aslett and daughter Laura Simons. While I laugh at the title, I want to post his 7 basic principles here and see if anybody has examples of how they use them or would use them in a new house:

1) Simplify. (ex: one striking vase, not a collection of them.)

2) Camoflage (ex: a patterned rug rather than solid color)

3) Concentrate the cleaning. (ex: all your houseplants in one area, not all over the house)

4) Make things convenient. (ex: people set things on the nearest surface--plan accordingly)

5) Avoid high-maintenance materials. (ex: a gas rangetop with unsealed burners compared with a ceramic cooktop)

6) Avoid multiple surfaces. (ex: one floor covering is easier to care for than several different ones)

7) Keep things compatible (ex: use the same faucet in every bath and getting replacement parts is simpler)

I am quite willing to sacrifice a great deal of style for function and ease at this point in life. I've had it with pretty and demanding. So, if you have any tips in Aslett's categories--or outside of them--I'd love to have them before it's too late! TIA

Comments (30)