SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauralena_gw

Area rug placement

Lauralena
11 years ago

Hi!

I have a rectangular shaped bedroom (15' wide x 8.5' long). The door opens as far to the right of the room (facing into the room) as possible. You're facing, on the far wall (from right to left): a large dresser, a night table, a queen size bed, and a small dresser. There is about 2' of space between the foot of the bed and the wall. There is nothing on the door wall.

I want to get an area rug to fill the space (hardwood floor) when you walk into the room. That space is about 7 feet wide x almost 7 feet long.

Here is where my bf and I disagree. He wants to get a 4' x 6" rug, which would be centered (shorter side nearest the doorway) in the space. He's under the impression that no part of the rug should go under the surrounding furniture. But I think we should get a larger one (@ 5' x 7'). Meaning I would step on to it when I got out of bed. Some of it would have to go under the bed and some under the dresser. And it would come almost to the threshold of the doorway.

Opinions? BTW, it will be a patterned low-pile rug.

Thank you!

P.S. I thought of getting a giganto rug that would fill most of the room, but I don't treasure the thought of constantly vacuuming under the bed.

Comments (4)