SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nyamy

please help with living room color scheme

nyamy
13 years ago

hi everyone

we are in the process of decorating our livingroom. my initial plan was to stain the hardwood floors dark walnut, we are putting in built in shelves, they were going to be walnut as well. I envisioned white walls, a neutral rug and a gray sofa with a bright accent color thrown in a bit (like cobolt blue or maybe lime green, something that makes me smile).

so the floors are stained and my cabinet guy recommended against walnut shelves for a number of reasons, instead he brought me a sample of sapele. it is absolutely gorgeous, I love it. trouble is, I love it in its natural state, it loses some of the irridesence and depth of grain when stained. adn the natural color is a reddish brown and a lot lighter than walnut.

soooo

do I need to rethink my entire color scheme? I dont love the way the sapele looks with the floors, though the floor guy did a terrible job anyway so my dh wants to redo the floors in the near future. the only other furniture in the room right now is a 1940's steinway baby grand piano, dont know what type of wood it is, but its a lightish wood that goes well with both the sapele and the walnut.

thanks so much for any opinions

Comments (8)