SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amandan_gw

New here, looking for inspiration

amandan
16 years ago

--and I think I've found it! I've been lurking for a while and you ladies are a great inspiration to me!

My husband and I finally moved from a rather cramped apartment to a rental house (1200 square feet! and a yard! Hurrah!). However, over the past few years, due to a very hectic schedule, we've gotten rather lax about organizing and cleaning routines. I'm trying to get myself back on track. It does not come naturally for me--I'm a hoarder and piler by nature.

What I'm trying, right now, is to divide up the essential household chores into manageable chunks. I made myself a list of all the things that HAVE to be done (cooking, laundry, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, trash & recycling, etc.) and divided them up evenly across the week. I also made lists of the less-essential chores and any home-improvement projects, so when I have a bit of extra time, I can pick a project and work on it for a while. I've only been doing this for two weeks, but it seems to be helping. I can commit to doing a short list of chores after work, instead of coming home and thinking I have to clean the whole place in one fell swoop. It's not quite what my husband would like (he wants it perfectly clean, all the time), but the house is cleaner overall, so he's much happier.

What's giving me the heebie jeebies is getting THINGS organized. We don't have a huge amount of stuff, as such, but living in small apartments, we just shoved things wherever they fit, rather than thinking too much about function--and as a result, things we needed were always getting lost or damaged. I'd like to set this place up so that it's truly functional... but it's hard to find a place to start!

Comments (4)