SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Take a guess: how might an old medicine cabinet hole be filled?

artemis78
13 years ago

Okay, so clearly this is all hypothetical, but thought I'd throw this out to the forum and see if others with old homes have encountered this and can share their experiences!

Our bathroom used to have a recessed medicine cabinet, and we have a new one that we're going to put in. You can still see the outline in the plaster that shows where the old one was (it's been filled and painted, with a mirror over the space).

So the next project is to hack into the plaster and frame out a new opening for it so we can install this thing. I'm wondering what we're likely to find back there, though. I know there's no way to know for sure until everything is off and the wall is open, but trying to map out the possibilities so we can be prepared.

What are the ways you can imagine that someone might have filled a cavity from an old recessed cabinet? The walls are wood lathe and plaster, so if they did it properly (not holding my breath on that!) I imagine we might find wood screwed in to mount the new plaster. What other potential scenarios can you imagine? We're not sure when the cabinet was removed, but the lights and mirror on that wall scream mid-80s so it might have come out then.

Trying to figure out the range of tools we might need based on what we'll encounter--thanks!

Comments (9)