SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
usha_srinivasan_gw

How to take care of a 26 year old christmas cactus ?

usha_srinivasan
10 years ago

Hello all,

I acquired this beautiful 26 year old christmas cactus yesterday. It is gorgeous but needs some TLC.
here's some pics
{{gwi:97607}}
{{gwi:97608}}

The plant is seriously heavy, it needed two people and a
dolly to move. It is potted in ordinary soil. Also the leaves look kind of shriveled, somewhat thin and limp especially the end segments. The leaves are green and not mushy.
here is a close up pic below although it is hard to see.
{{gwi:97609}}

Any advice on how to help it recover ? Just give it time ?
I would hate to lose it. I have it sitting in a cool part of the house, by a north west facing window.

Thanks
Usha

Comments (59)

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gail,

I tried to email you but unable to find an address.
    Where in SE Mi do you live ? Perhaps you can drive by
    and get some cuttings. I live in SE Ann Arbor couple of
    miles from UM.

or I can mail you a few cuttings, LMK

Best
    Usha

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Hi Usha,
    I use to be able to get e-mails. I just checked my profile and re-checked the box so that they can, again, come through.

Did you not even get my e-mail to you through GW?

I'll try to send you one again so as not to gum up the posts with personal info.

Gail

• Related Discussions

Christmas Cactus care

Q

Comments (34)
    Thanks for the info. The plant was failing long before we repotted it with the very coarse gravel in the bottom of the pot. When we took the plant out of the pot it was WEDGED so tight and little roots were coming out of the little hole the pot has for drainage.They broke off when my husband tried to get the root ball out. The poor thing was already dropping segments and branches and had a whole section that was dead. I fear I may have given it too much water--or too soon---my husband thinks by then we were already too late and said he thought the plant was suffocating because the roots weren't aerated. I don't know maybe a combination of that and me giving it one drink too many. I am now trying very hard to get some segments to root and take hold so this plant is resurrected the way I did for Jose my old Hoya that is now reborn and flourishing! Do I stick the segments in the mix and cover it like the article says or can I leave them uncovered? The window this time of year gets indirect light. Sun will begin to drop down by late August or so. I've been misting them every day and two look promising. This is the 2nd Holiday cactus I have killed and feel so bad!! My other regular cactuses are doing fine--sigh. I think I will use one of those wooden s skewers for testing ,moisture on these should I succeed in propagation. If I read the article correctly i think this may actually be thanksgiving cactus. Thanks and lets hope I can get those little things to grow. The parent plant is dead.
    ...See More

Our decade old Christmas Cactus is looking a bit wild! Any tips?

Q

Comments (17)
    You're most welcome Brittany, happy to be able to help. Rina, thanks for the drawing, do you remember its provenance / credit? As I will cut & paste it for myself, but if I knew who to attribute it to, I'd like to be able to share it 'cause it's soooo good. Jamila, I think the 2 on the left are TCs, look at their jagged points. The one on the right could be Xmas or Easter. Rounded edges, but the length of the segments suggest to me Easter. That's the one I have yet to grow successfully, but know I how, I just need some new EC on which to prove it to myself. I hope to post some samples of mine on another thread in the next few days, so pls keep an eye out for that.
    ...See More

Christmas cactus care.

Q

Comments (14)
    I don't even bother with sending mine outside. They're on the windowsill all the time, usually a bit overfed, and in too much sunlight, and subject to the vagrancies of room lighting. In some cases, that can be...extreme...when "room lighting" means "50 watts of LED lighting on the plant right next to it." They bear up, simply turning very red as they suntan to protect themselves. I think I've caught them flexing for each other to show off the bronzing. They tend to bloom in the appropriate season and the Thanskgiving cactus are growing buds now. The Christmas cactus will start soon. They're a succulent even I can deal with (I'm not great with low-care plants). To me, they're bulletproof.
    ...See More

3-4 year old Christmas cactus taking a turn for the worse

Q

Comments (16)
    Yes, just ignore those air roots. Make your clipping, let it sit so the end dries up a few hours and then insert it into your new potting mix in a small pot with a hole. You do not need any honey or rooting hormone. Just make the cutting stand up as best you can. You can put more than one in a pot. There are different opinions about when to water. I wait a week or more if the potting mix had any moisture. Water sparingly, but let it run out the bottom. No sips. I would keep the newly planted cuttings wherever their "mother" plant has been. That's the light, air circulation, temperature they are used to. You should definitely repot in the suggested mix. Change it's soil, as you said above. Clean off as much of the old potting mix as possible, and toss it out. Don't use for the cuttings. I hope you can find the 3 components of the mix. At the very least, use the cactus & succulent mix and orchid bark, but if you can find pumice or perlite it will help. I've started some very large cuttings but sometimes just do 2-4 segments as shown in the photo. I could be wrong in the way I start cuttings, even tho' it works. I cut mine as shown on the left below, but in the case of your plant, you might want to gently twist the segment off as shown on the right. That way you'll cause less injury to the segment which stays on the plant. I'm not an expert. Others may chime in to correct me, but the above is what I do.
    ...See More
  • petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

saw a pic of a same cactus grown as a tree. I think, it's a live plant, but can't tell really. the article was about xmas cactus, so should be live. interesting, no?
    never seen anything like that.
    {{gwi:97610}}

• Edie
    10 years ago

Usha, that was a fantastic find, and I hope Arlene is radiant after a summer of TLC. I am the current caretaker of a similar cactus which was my grandmother's and then my mother's. Most of what is sold nowadays as Christmas cactus is actually Thanksgiving cactus. The Thanksgiving version is more common in stores because it blooms earlier, so merchants can offer it in early December in bloom. Yours has the scalloped leaf edges of a true Christmas cactus. Arlene may wait until January to bloom.

Some tidbits I've learned while tending my cactus: Like many houseplants, they love being outdoors in summer. I keep mine in the shade to prevent sunburn. It may be possible to gradually adapt them to sun, but I've never dared try. Mine's a living heirloom and my family would freak if I hurt it. Beware of slugs and snails which enjoy the succulent leaves. If you have a sheltered spot outside where Arlene will be safe, consider giving her a summer vacation next year.

Short days and cool temperatures trigger bud formation. Less than twelve hours of sun, and 65 F or cooler. As the seasons change the plant will naturally get the cues that it's time to set buds. There's no need to stuff it in a closet, put a bag over its head or withhold water, all of which I've seen advised in plant books.

Last year mine made new leaves instead of buds. We didn't have a thermostat in that apartment. The upstairs neighbors had one, which controlled the heat for both floors. They kept it warm. Which was comfortable for all of us, but meant no flowers on the big cactus parked in the middle of the living room. She was very happy with the never-ending summer and produced shiny new leaves instead. A small pot of cuttings which fit on the chilly windowsill did flower.

I'm glad to read I can prune more often and cut further back. I've been scared to trim much. Thanks to those of you who shared that info.

Petrushka, looking at that photo I see a cactus trailing from a hanging basket, or a basket on a pole. Doesn't look like a tree to me. Though I do like the look. I have a hoya lacunosa I perch on a tall candle holder to produce a similar effect in miniature.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

here's a closer shot of same. sorry, can't make it sharper.
    it has a long draping? trunk. now that I look closer I think I see a white basket, which is sort of invisible against the light. and the rest drapes down.
    the basket is on a long pole?

This post was edited by petrushka on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 22:28

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

I've got one of those. It just keeps getting longer and never blooms.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This is making me wonder again how old these Christmas cacti are?!

That pic is awesome, Petruska!

• Edie
    10 years ago

Petrushka, I can't tell how the basket is supported from that picture, but the cactus is definitely dangling down from the basket rather than growing up from the lower pot. It's possible the basket is hanging normally and the bright light made the white plastic hanger invisible in the photo. It's beautiful. I envy the grower for being able to keep the plant in the same spot long enough to get it to trail that far. I've moved every few years and my ancient cactus gets some damage every time, so it's been pruned repeatedly by accident.

Purple, thanks for linking that thread, wow that's gorgeous!

This group of cacti can live a long time. Family legend says that our cactus was used by my father's mother in a high school science project. I think she was class of 1930. So the plant is at least that old.

• goren
    10 years ago

Its a grand plant and, for the same reason why outdoor plants are not cut back more than 25%....each year if necessary--I would suggest you not cut this houseplant back by more than that.
    The roots over the span of years is giving nutrition to the foliage above....and the flowering that accompanies....to remove as much as suggested.....40%.....50%...may be too much --the roots are still putting out to feed the whole plant and unless you intend to reduce the amount of roots, I'd suggest no more than 25% annually.

I think too the old adage....if it aint broke.....
    so steps you take to correct any one problem, make sure you are not causing a bigger problem.
    Turn your plant every other day to give all areas of the plant equal sun. I would not move it away from what sun you are presently --and have been--giving it. That can cause problems of bloom drop.
    It looks like it could be a problem testing its moisture with your finger....but that's as safe a way to test as anything.
    Sections that drop, can be quickly planted to make more plants.....they grow so easy you might consider giving some sections away to friends and neighbors who want them.

Aside from its difficulty in moving it, does this plant go outside during summer---it can if you climatize it slowly--outside for sunny periods, back inside--back outside--back inside....you get the idea.....and not letting it be touched by a hard frost.

For those readers who might wonder by this....Christmas Cactus can be pushed to create bloom when subjected to low temperatures---but never a hard frost....then back indoors to a sunny window where it remains, unmoved, and flowering can be expected in a few days.
    If, however, it has been kept inside, in a room, and never gone outside, it should stay in that room and not go outside where conditions are entirely different. It could upset the normal life of the plant.

C.C. can have flowers drop by moving it away from the sun it has got used to. Like the sunflower that turns to sunlight, C.C. will do the same and if it strains the branch with the flowers to try to go back to the sunlight, it can cause the flower to twist its head off.
    So where you put, llet it stay, and if you have to remove it to another room to water it...such as the laundry room, be sure to place it back in the exact same position it was before.

Watering a large plant like this might be difficult and it should be allowed to drain properly, the excess not allowed to sit under it for any extended time which might cause the limping if the water is sucked back up.

Limping can be normal....if its not a regular occurrence.
    Try moving it to another location while it is not flowering---see if this doesn't perk it up.
    If it doesn't, then there's another problem that is causing it and should be looked at.

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for some really cool pics and stories from people here. Edie_H thanks for the tidbits on getting christmas cactus to flower. I would love to summer Arlene outside in shade but she is very heavy so we will have to find a helping hand or two :)
    Petrushka, thanks for the nice pics. its cool to see the cc
    draping down ala waterfall like.

Here's a quick update on Arlene.

She has settled in nicely in her new home and I am beginning to find new growth on her. I discarded a whole lot of cuttings that I initially took from her, because they were very shriveled up.
    A few that I rooted are now firmly rooted in Al's modified soil mix. Surprisingly, I found the cuttings that were most woody to root best.

I did manage to mail out a few cuttings to Eugene on Friday (let me know if they arrived ok).

Monet, I did not get any emails from you but if you still interested than pls contact me.

Regards,
    Usha

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

may be you can post a follow up pic in a few months when it settles in and starts growing. and of course, when it blooms!
    i feed my tc with orchid food - hi P formula for blooms.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Hi Usha,

Arlene's kids arrived today safely in the mail. I was sticking them in the 6' pot on the left but ran out of space at about 20 cuttings, so made another smaller pot of about 10 cuttings. I guess it was twins then. I set them on top of a grow lamp for a bit extra warmth during the day to help them root.

Hey, I re-read all of the above. Did you eventually have luck finding good bark for your soil? It was difficult for me in this major city away from any ag stores, but I lucked out eventually. I can send you a box to thank for the cuttings. I have filtered uncomposted bark of three sizes: dust to 1/8th of an inch that is good for Al's 5-1-1 mix (alone or mixed with the next size); then 1/8th to 3/8ths (good for Al's gritty mix or to make the 5-1-1 mix a bit more chunky) and >3/8ths which I use for orchids. If you want any, let me know - I'll be glad to send some over.

GreenToe / Eugene

P.S. Did Arlene the previous owner tell you what color flowers Arlene the plant produces?

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 11:25

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

>> P.S. Did Arlene the previous owner tell you want color flowers Arlene the plant produces?

I am reading up on Arlene's relatives (PATSP blog never disappoints). Quote: "True Christmas cacti [flowers], on the other hand, are almost always red or magenta". So, I guess that narrows it down.

Also, apparently their flowers look very different from the more common Thanksgiving cactus.

This is my first holiday cactus, so this is all new to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: PATSP entry for Schlumbergera

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Hi Usha,
    I did sent a message or two. It looks like they didn't go through. My direct e-mail is mgh007@yahoo.com - thank you for thinking of me.
    Gail

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arlene is pre-destined to have deep pink flowers (can you tell I am Indian, LOL).

goren, I have been turning Arlene around every now and then. re the tips on watering. I wont be able to take
    Arlene to the sink for a deep watering so I am going to
    have to underwater and keep a close eye. The main trunk is quite firm and heavily branched so if she looks
    sad over winter I may prune her and repot.

Eugene, Lovely pics of Arlene's twins, they look so happy in their new pot !

Gail, I have emailed you directly.

Usha

• MittenGirl
    10 years ago

Usha,

I might be late...but wondering if you would have any rooted cuttings in the future? I am located in MI and have been searching for this plant for a while.

Ken

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I too have some cuttings of a true CC, but which blooms pink (not 'just red or magenta'), I saw the parent plant in bloom, definitely pink. I've got 3 small pots started at home in 3 different spots to see which works best.

We shall see.

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi MittenGirl,
    I will certainly have more cuttings to hand out, but I am afraid it is too late in the year to send them out from MI reliably. I did not get around to sending some to monet_g either but it is on my list of things to do.
    so if you send me a reminder early spring, I will be happy to send you a bunch.
    Usha

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Any update pictures on the Christmas cactus?

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Actually, there are a few colors for x buckleyii that are not magenta, red, or pink :) There is peach among other the other things! So there are a few possibilities, although the pink/magenta is probably the most common.

I'm in the minority, but I probably wouldn't have cut it back beyond what is damaged. My mom has a plant older than me and she never messes with it beyond repotting. It looked like it had a good structure. :)

I'm excited to hear how the blooms go!

• plantlovr
    10 years ago

Dear Usha, What an amazing plant. I have never seen anything like that in my life. I have not been on this site for a couple of years because I have not been too healthy. I was shocked when I saw the picture of this christmas cactus. You are very lucky to have found this. Take good care of it and it will give you many years of happines I am sure. If you ever have any extra cuttings I would be soooo thrilled to have some. I have been looking for one of the real cc for several years and here you found this beauty. Enjoy all the blooms you will get I am sure. Thanks for showing all of us this beauty. I have sent you an email and hope you have received it.

• Will07
    10 years ago

After seeing this post several times I'm finally going to comment. That plant is GORGEOUS! I would love to have an original Christmas Cactus one day. I hope Arlene flowers for you and you will treat us to some pictures.

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all ccaddicts,

The mommy plant Arlene looks the same, a few new leaves
    but mainly sitting in her pot, budha-like.
    I rooted a bunch of cuttings in different pots and they either
    1)rotted and died or
    2)thrived and are blooming now.
    Heres some pics

{{gwi:97611}}

Here's a few other pics of my plants settling indoors
    Kitchen Window (east facing)
    {{gwi:97612}}
    Craft room aka plant room (south facing window and some additional light from east facing window (now shown)
    {{gwi:97613}}
    Craft room corner (low light from east facing window about 12 ft away)
    {{gwi:97614}}

my favorite hibiscus (North west facing patio door, blooms reliably through winter)
    {{gwi:97615}}

newly acquired Ric Rac cactus
    {{gwi:97616}}

Regards
    Usha

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Very nice! I think everything is looking great!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Usha,
    you have a Thanksgiving Cactus, not a Christmas Cactus :-)

Josh

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,

Is that right ? I followed a thread about thanksgiving vs CC a while ago and thought I had identified mine correctly (but apparently not !)
    Heres a close up
    {{gwi:97617}}

and my "thanksgiving cactus" bloomed in October (its on the kitchen windowsill in my previous post) and has more serrated leaves (sorry I dont have a close up).

WDYT ?

Usha

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Usha,
    I think Josh is just joshing you. (Now we know where that term came from. ;-)) I think what he means is that your CC's bloom time is closer to a TC. Thus, kinda making it like a TC this year.
    Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 12:27

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Usha,

Those are definitely S. x buckleyi type phyllocades and the bloom is the correct shape as well. :) Yours is just blooming a bit off season is all.

10 years ago

Yes, sorry for joshin' you! ;-)
    You have lovely true Christmas Cacti!

Josh

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too funny, thanks monet and julianna.

and Josh it is thanksgiving around the corner,
    not April fools day :)

Usha

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Looks like a good example of the difference latitude can make, even when plants are inside.

• desertplumeria
    9 years ago

I am desperately looking for cuttings from a old fashioned Christmas cactus. If anyone can help!

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Desertplumeria -
    I was going to email you, but you do not have that feature enabled. I have a Christmas cactus exactly like "Arlene" that is an heirloom to my family. I can offer cuttings of it. I have become a holiday cactus addict - I've always loved them, but I've only ever had the pink Christmas cactus and have just longed for the Thanksgiving and Easter cacti, plus all the other colors of Christmas cactus. I've recently discovered that there are white, light pink, yellow, orange and bi-colored blooms, and even feathered white blooms!!! There's also red, but I've seen that and the dark pink like I have in the stores since I was little. Never seen those other ones, or the lighter leaved one Cristen Aurea!!!! I must have one of each!!!
    P.S. - I am in Ohio too!!!

This post was edited by Queen-Gardener on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 19:15

• okjordy1
    9 years ago

I have a Christmas Cactus that I have no idea how old it is. It has gorgeous, cream-colored flowers trimmed in yellow, and the stamens have purple. It was huge and now it's falling apart. :(

If I understand everyone correctly, I need to repot it by trimming the root ball, trimming off all 'limp' branches, and replanting it in a mixture of fir bark, regular potting soil and sand...is that correct?

9 years ago

Jordy, re-pot into a mixture of mostly fir bark, perlite, and just a pinch of regular potting mix. Remove as much of the old mix from the roots as possible. No need to trim the roots or branches necessarily.

Josh

• Yepitsdevon (zone 5a-6b)
    8 years ago

I know this is an old post but I too have been looking for Christmas cactus cuttings.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

How is Arlene looking these days? Did she ever bloom for you?

• Laura Faulconer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mine is a little younger, but she is putting on a spectacular show this year.

• chocl8star
    8 years ago

I'm so lost and I hope someone can help. I've inherited a house with 80 year old avocado tress in the front yard and living under them are 4 massive plants. I'm not sure if they are thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter cactus. The previous owner said they were his grampas plants and have been there as long as he can remember (at least 25 to 30 years or more). In the last 10 to 15 years they haven't been moved, pruned, replanted, fertilized or watered more than with rain from nature (which is not much in southern california). They are all currently blooming aside from one plant that has a different structure than the others. Its mid march and he said they bloom this time every year and sometimes later in the year as well.

My question is what do I have here and how on earth do I go about giving these plants a healthy life again. To me they look bad but their blooms are incredible. Huge magenta and red flowers. The leaves from the avocado tree constantly fall on them and they are filled with spiderwebs (not excited about the idea of getting my hands in there. I can't even see the soil and these things are so heavy I'd need help to move them. They are fully shaded all day from the trees. I hate the ugly plastic pots they are in. Basically I want to clean them up and give them love. Help!

• Julia (1meanmop)
    8 years ago

I agree, beautiful plant that I would love to have a start of someday.

• chocl8star
    8 years ago

Thank you so much! I've done some research now. They really are beautiful plants. I'll take your advice and not disturb it too much. Just cleaned out a lot of the leaves. There are sooooooooo many spiders in there. Any suggestions on safely reducing their population without harming the Epis?

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    8 years ago

you can use a hose and gently spray them out with a sprayer. Actually unless you are bringing the plants inside or they are black widows or something else, I'd leave them. The spiders are good, they will eat all sorts of bugs that might harm the epis. I also wanted to add that in the fall you might be smart to allow the leaves to collect in the plants again to protect the plants from frost.

• Johanna Murphy
    7 years ago

Any help?! I was just trying to repot a cutting of a Christmas cactus that apparently had rooted pretty far down and I broke it under the soil at the stalk... like completly detached it... what do I do?! It's old and I don't want to lose it!

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

Hi Johanna,

Pls. don't panic, it's likely quite salvageable!

Broke a branch or the whole plant? A pic would be most helpful.

This is a pretty old thread which discussion switched to another plant (an Epiphyllum).

So for next time, perhaps a separate thread would be best.

• Johanna Murphy
    7 years ago

I don't know how to start a new thread... and it was a small plant that was from a cutting (I've had it growing for a year but realized the pot had no holes for drainage)

• petrushka (7b)
    7 years ago

just pot it up, but make sure the very bottom segment is not soft(rotting) - then you might have a problem.

• lynnielee33
    6 years ago

I have a Christmas Cactus that is approx 20

years old. I've never had an issue. The underside branches are limp and falling off. When I look at the branches some look dried and some are wet and look rotted. I'd hate to loose this plant it was a cutting from my boys great great grandmothers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• chippedchinaplate
    6 years ago

I would take apart that branch and start a new pot. The main plant probably needs to be repotted. Clean out as much as the old potting mix you can, trim the roots a bit and put it in a new fast draining mix. You can search 5-1-1 mix here and repotting. There are lots of explanations. If you are on Facebook there is a group called Holiday Cactus Lovers group with lots of helpful people. Most of them prefer to repot using a fifty fifty mix of potting soil and perlite. If you repot, tale your time and read up here. I'm happy to answer specific questions if you need it. My weekend will be busy so it might take a bit before I respond.

If the clades on the fallen branch are withered, sometimes they can be saved by putting them i a ziplock baggie full of water for a day or two. Just flip the bag every day. I actually forgot about one for about two weeks and it had sprouted roots.

Good luck!

• raymond_diezynski
    6 years ago

Unless I miss my guess, this baby has been in the same pot for years. There looks to be some degree of nitrogen deficiency as well as potassium which could account for the paling of the green (nitrogen), reddening of segments (potassium), and soft feel of the segments which could also be potassium because this mineral helps plants produce and store carbohydrate which would give the segments a nice firm feel.

Repotting however is problematic because it would take several people to do it if left untrimmed. Cut back one third to one half then one person might be able to do it. An alternative would be to tap dress-remove any loose soil from the top of the pot and then put down a layer of good rich potting soil or compost. I've seen this treatment do wonders for other plants and when it works, needs to be done every three to six months to keep the plant healthy and vigorous.