SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Question for Canadians living and working for years in the U.S.

joyfulguy
12 years ago

Do you have to file an income tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency in Canada?

Some time ago I heard on our national radio that U.S. citizens living in Canada were required to file information with the I.R.S. regarding their bank account balances.

I told my son of it, as he has dual citizenship, his mother having originated in Iowa.

His mother had never earned income in the U.S. after having worked as a summer student in Pittsburg in 1958, before her senior year at Cornell. She left the U.S. after graduation and never lived there again, apart from a few months annually as a retiree visitor a few years ago.

She lived abroad for several years, where he was born, and later our daughter was born while she lived in Canada.

After having been away from the U.S. for about a dozen years, she began earning student intern income in Canada, then was employed for about 25 years and on private pension for about ten years, prior to her death, upwards of eight years ago.

During some of the later years she was filing a tax return with the I.R.S. ... and received a tax credit with regard to that income with the Canada Revenue Agency.

So I assume that she had income tax liability here, as well.

Not much fun being at least partially double taxed, and extra-territorially, at that, it seems to me.

ole joyful

Comments (4)