SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

? for DS about dating

amicus
16 years ago

Thought I'd ask those of you with older teenaged daughters for your opinion. DS#2 and his best buddy (BB) have been having some difficulty in the romance department lately and can't figure out where they're going wrong. They're both intelligent, attractive, nice young men who go to college and socialize together.

DS had a girlfriend in highschool over 3 years ago and has been happily single, but just lately he says he's beginning to feel like he'd love to have someone special in his life again. He's not desperately seeking Mrs. Future Wife (he's only 21!) but just someone to be in an exclusive relationship with, who will fit in with his friends. BB ended a two year relationship a few months ago, loves being single and absolutely does not want a new girlfriend yet.

But it seems that DS and BB keep asking out the wrong girls and are beginning to feel a bit frustrated. They were both over last week and discussing this while fixing themselves a snack. They jokingly asked me why women are so hard to figure out, and a discussion ensued.

Both boys feel that things go well until about the 4th date, then comes disappointment. In the case of DS, the young lady will manage to throw in a comment like "I really enjoy spending time with you, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. I love being single so I'm not looking for anything serious." BB, on the other hand is experiencing exactly the opposite. Around his 4th date, the girl always says something like "I really enjoy spending time with you. So tell me, do you see anything in the way of a serious relationship developing here?"

Both young men are perplexed at why they are each only finding the type of girl the other one wants! I suggested they might be picking up and sending out the wrong vibes at the initial meeting. BB said he usually asks out a girl that seems to really be enjoying the college social scene, in hopes that she might not be looking for an exclusive dating relationship.

He added that when he does go on a date with someone, he mentions early on that he was in a relationship for 2 years, but now he loves being single and dating.

DS on the other hand, tends to ask out girls who are less into the college party circuit. He thinks a girl like this might be more receptive to dating that could possibly lead to a relationship. He says that if he's on a date and a girl asks if he dates a lot, or if he's been in a lot of relationships, he'll respond that he's enjoying dating and hasn't been in a relationship for a while, but that he's completely open to being in one again if dating leads to that.

By the way, both boys have many interests to focus on other than dating. But when they DO date, they just can't seem to meet the kind of girl each wants to date. So if any of you have college age girls who either love being single, or would be open to having a boyfriend, do they have any tips to offer so time isn't wasted on both parts?

Comments (17)