SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

Not sure when house was built - deed reading confusion!

jlc102482
12 years ago

I am trying to figure out when my home was built and who built it. However, my deed is really confusing and I don't have any other info on my house besides it. I've gone to my local historical society, but they had no information and couldn't help me.

My deed is confusing me for several reasons. First, it doesn't differentiate between land and a structure - the only phrase it uses is "premises and more". The deed begins in the 1830s but I was told my house was built in 1857. I don't know where that number came from and there is nothing happening on my deed in 1857. Furthermore, my deed lists a mortgage for $22,587 in the 1840s, which supposedly before the house was built. That is an astronomical amount of money for back then! It doesn't make sense.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas to share for researching the history of an old home?

* I remember an Old House Journal from years ago having info on how to research your old home, but I can't recall what issue it was. If anyone remembers, please share! Thanks. :)

Comments (15)