SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganggreen980

Random Questions

ganggreen980
16 years ago

Oh, I'm learning SO much for all of you! That said, I've come up with just some random questions.

Background: We are a family of four, two boys ages 10 and 12, along with a 98-pound 12-year-old dawg and a 13-year-old cat. The house is a NW split entry, so the kitchen is upstairs with the LR and DR.

I do most of the cooking, although hubby is in charge on Monday nights and sometimes can be in there on the weekends as well. Occasionally we're in there together.

We are in the design process so don't have plans to post, but have no fear, you'll be seeing them soon.

We will knock out two walls opening up the kitchen to the LR and DR. L-shaped kitchen with an island. Kitchen is approx 11 x 17 feet. It will be maple cabinetry with a cider or honey spice type of stain. Probably dark-ish granite counters. Tile-look laminate floor. Something that will look nice with the above and hide crumbs along with dog and cat fur.

1. For whatever reason, I'm not a huge fan of stainless appliances. Will black appliances look funny? At this point, the fridge is likely to go on the back wall, so it will be quite visible from the LR.

2. I would LOVE an in-door ice and water dispenser. I don't like the look of them. Could I get an insta-hot dispenser that would also provide cold water? At issue is particularly in the late spring and summer, I have to run the tap water a LONG time before it turns cold. Drives me nuts.

3. We are not gourmet cooks, but dinner is cooked pretty much 5 nights a week. We eat out once a week and do bread/cheese one weekend night. I do go through baking phases and quite enjoy it. I would probably enjoy it more if I had a reliable oven that actually baked to temperature and that I could fit more than one small cookie sheet in. I'm currently looking at a Fridgidaire Gallery Series convection oven. Is it really worth the extra $$ for convection? How often do you use convection and for what?

4. Prep zone question. I saw on another thread this morning that the prep zone includes the fridge and pantry. I suppose that having the fridge on one end of the "L" with the pantry on the opposite end wouldn't be terribly functional, right?

Thanks for your very valuable opinions!

Comments (9)