SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
punamytsike

What would you do, if you had to start over?

punamytsike
12 years ago

I find myself in a situation where I have to buy almost everything that is needed to cook and enjoy said cooking. Only things I have, are decent knives. So, I have been looking at pots and pans, reading reviews and I am still no closer to actually knowing what I will buy, hence my question to you all.

I am on a budget, but do not want to buy junk either. I am intrigued by induction and thinking of maybe buying a desktop one burner to try it out, in hopes that it will keep the electric bill lower and allow me to make pasta faster and simmer the soups and sauces better than regular electric stove top. I am a meat eater and lover, if that is something that will make the choices clearer. I understand that cast iron might be a perfect choice and somewhat affordable as well, but it seems so heavy for me, I need to use both hands to lift the pans? So you see why I am so confused?

So if you had the luxury of starting over, what would be your must haves, how would you go about it. I really would like the input of the all the great cooks out here.

Comments (32)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Punamy, I hope your doing ok these days. I'm still thinking about you.
    Cookingwise, I would only buy great stuff but a whole lot less of it. Cast iron for instance, I have 5 six quart pots. They are all very nice, were amazingly priced and are all different colors. But, I would like to have the Staub cocotte but can't bring myself to spend the money on it as I don't need it. But, that one pot would satisfy me.

I think you would/will want at least one cast iron piece.

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Punamy, I am please to see you post! I hope you are getting acclimated to your new environment.

At our Atlanta get together this spring, we went to the Kitchen Warehouse. My prize purchase was an 8" Aeternum fry pan. I bought it because it was pretty, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. It's lightweight and not expensive. My I find my Everyday Pans (12", 10" 8") to be well used too.

Recently I cleaned out my cabinets of a lot of top-of-the-line pots and pans in order to organize my kitchen. I sure wish I could have sent some to you. They were all in good shape but some were duplicates.

Take care!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeternum

• Related Discussions

If you could start a garden over, what would you do different?

Q

Comments (26)
    Cactus Joe, I too am interested in your rock/water feature. It's very beautiful! Did all those smaller rocks come from your yard too? Do you get a lot of wildlife visiting this area? I don't know what I would do over. My gardens here at this house (oldest bed is 4 years old) are constantly changing. I think a great deal about the "bones" of my borders, which consist of shrubs and small trees, and a few large grasses and perennials. What to plant, where to put them. I take into consideration sun, soil, moisture, privacy and wind screen, wildlife value, native range, etc. Even so, I've moved and changed the bones! Last year I moved the Miss Kim Lilac over 5 feet. Dug out a forty year old Burning Bush and replaced it with a gorgeous Amelanchier. This year the Viburnum dentatum is being moved - because it's just gotten too big for it's location. The only thing growing in this yard that isn't subject to change are the established trees - kinda hard to move a 50 year old tree (however I've removed some of them, namely scraggly pines and Norway maples). It seems to be the nature of gardening and creativity - continually creating something new! I'm pretty comfortable with that.
    ...See More

What would you do if you had to replace this wall?

Q

Comments (11)
    Vjrnts - This picture is pre-fire. And yes, I was heartsick. I'm trying not to be now, but at 80+ years old, I guess it is time to build a new one. I should let you know that the exterior is still standing and perfectly intact. It's just there is so much structural damage inside that this wall will have to come down. I know it will never look like the original, but we're attempting to infuse the new one with age. The history is this: it was one of the first homes up in the Lookout Mtn Park section of Laurel Canyon. It was built to replicate the Frankenstein castle in the original black and white move. The black and white Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was partially shot in the caves in the back yard. I bought it from the original owner's son, and we intend it pass the property onto our son as well. It's really kind of funky by today's building standards. But it was much loved and has been lived in by a number of stellar talents. Here's a pic of the living room:
    ...See More

If you had it to do all over again, would you.......

Q

Comments (23)
    I've had some helpful advise on this forum quite a long time ago and just checked in for the first time in a long time. My opinion on this topic - is Yes and No. My two youngest daughters - 29 and 30 cut off any communication from me and their oldest sister two and a half years ago. They will not communicate with us, so I guess I just am supposed to give up on them. I've been to a psychologist for over a year. He told me that I need to tell myself that I did the best I knew how when raising them. The pain and heartache they have caused me is awful. I wish I could have their memory excised from my mind. My oldest daughter and son are very kind, empathetic people and have been a wonderful support to me through this. So, yes I would never wish that I didn't have them. After investing 25 years into the others and doing what I could to make them happy, I do wish that I had never had two more children with my second husband. He and his family have caused me so much grief, it would take a book to relate all of it. The family is instrumental is turning these girls against me too. I fight the bitterness of this situaiton everyday. Of course, they will always be part of me and I will always love them, but who could ever imagine that our own children could turn on us and not even want to explain why. I have the greatest empathy for anyone else that has been through a similar situation.
    ...See More

If you had a clean slate, what would you do?

Q

Comments (10)
    I was faced with a clean slate when we bought our first house this summer. The backyard was paved with stones and the only planting was a tree. We ended up putting in 4 raised beds, two meter square ones aND two border ones because that is all the space that we have. But the raised beds are wonderful for the following reasons: 1) limited bending, no working on hands and knees. They are quite high, 60cm and would be good for an older person with limited mobility. 2) raised beds put plants out if the "danger zone" of our male dog 3) easier soil amendment. It was simple to develop a great planting medium and to put in the beds, avoiding the sandy and rocky soil left underneath. 4) Smelling the roses! Raising them brings them closer to nose height and you get to enjoy the wafting fragrance all the more! Also, they are right at eye height from the garden bench, so you can really enjoy them close up 5) less weeds than before 6) avoids pests like rabbits, if that is a problem where you are 7) raised beds allow for neat and tidy paths for pets and people. We use pea gravel between the paths. Downsides I think in this initial stage is more watering. In the raised beds I think they may have some evaporation from the sides. Also they will probably be more prone to temperature fluctuation, kept warmer in the summer and colder in the winter. But in any case, I would highly reccomend raised beds for roses. You could even put them in the backyard and it would be no trouble at all for your dog to navigate.
    ...See More
  • Lars
    12 years ago

Several cookbooks that I have include a list of standard cookware that the authors think everyone should have. One is by Jeff Smith, and I think the other is Julia Childe, but I would have to check to make sure.

I certainly know what pans and utensils I use most often, and these include a 10" cast iron skillet and two saute pans - one is very large and stainless steel with a good lid and the other is the same size as the cast iron but is anodized aluminum and therefore is nonstick. The aluminum and cast iron heat differently, and so they are not interchangeable. Then I have two stainless steel sauce pans (very old) that I use frequently, but I use my gas range/oven more than anything else. I have a large stock pot that I use for boiling pasta, and I have skimmers for removing the pasta, although sometimes I pour the water through a strainer or colander.

I really would not want to have to start over with getting everything, but I think I would just buy what I need when I discovered that I needed it, which is sort of what I do now.

Lars

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

I'd get the set at the link. Fagor makes a great pressure cooker combo--an 8 qt stockpot and a 4 qt saute-pan shape,each of which can take a pressure lid when you want to pressure cook, or they work just fine as ordinary cookware as well. They work well on induction, too. A pasta strainer is included. Fagor also makes a set with a 6 qt stockpot and a 4 qt saute pan, for a little less; if you don't cook for more than one or two people that might do fine, but I definitely recommend an 8 qt pressure cooker if you have the storage. I didn't cook with a pressure cooker till I was in my fifties; I'll never have a kitchen without one now. If you're a meat eater, think of this: a fork-tender chuck pot roast in about 45 minutes. Osso Buco alla Milanese in less time than that. Highly recommended.

For eggy stuff, go to Sam's and get one of their Bakers & Chef's label nonstick frypans, in whatever sizes you think you might need. I think they are made by Tramontina. I like them a lot. Even though they are very reasonably priced, they are well made, heavy aluminum (so you can't use them for induction). But I use them for searing steaks (although they say you're not supposed to heat teflon really hot). But if that concerns you, it's pretty cheap to pick up a raw cast iron skillet and season it yourself. Or go to flea markets and garage sales--it's easy to restore an old skillet. One of my favorite skillets I got at an antique mall/junk shop for about $5. A little elbow grease and reseasoning, and it's great.

Another idea is to go to your local restaurant supply store. They have all sorts of goodies. Generally no-nonsense no-frills items, but usually of very good quality at good prices.

Two good books on outfitting a kitchen: Alton Brown's 'Gear for your Kitchen' (recent,

Here is a link that might be useful: fagor pressure cooker set

• donnar57
    12 years ago

I think I might start at some thrift stores and estate sales - - you just never know what kind of treasure you will unearth at either of those, and at budget prices.

Of course everyone's ideas of "must haves" would be different. I use my pressure cooker and slow cooker so often that either of those would be on the top of my list. I use a basic saucepan set and one large frying pan, with a flat griddle only occasionally.

My saucepans and fry pan set was Wearever - - I believe Target - - and I love them. Too bad my husband and his penchant for using a fork on a non-stick surface (while making scrambled eggs) has about ruined one of my fry-pans.

Donna

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I would get what I use most often.

10" cast iron fry pan. The best tool for applying lots of heat to meat. Totally non-stick surface. Easiest clean-up. This size is not too heavy. Don't spend a bunch on purple French enamel, get a plain ol' cowboy sort of thing.

14" (or bigger) stainless steel (tri-ply) or aluminum (steel-lined) saut� pan, straight sides at least 2" high. The sides make it versatile. You can poach, simmer, and stew, as well as fry and saut�. A lid is nice but a baking sheet pan works. All-Clad, or as close to All-Clad as you can get.

(You know what I love most about All-Clads? The handles. No-one else has that angle and shape. I think other pans aren't designed by actual cooks. Why does my otherwise fine Sur La Table pan have a round, slick handle, that spins like an axle in a wet or greasy hand? Why does my Kitchen-Aid pan have a handle that is flat, can't be braced against my forearm, and requires steel wrist muscles when the pan is loaded and heavy?)

7 qt pressure cooker. As a meat lover, you need this. It is a time machine, converting hours into minutes. Do a 4 hour braise in 1 hour. Make stock in 15 minutes. Cook dried beans, no pre-soaking, in 10 minutes. I have a Kuhn-Rikon but I think any quality brand (Fagor, etc) will do.

8" or 10" omelette pan. I mean a pan with sloped sides, so that you can slip delicate things out to the plate. Fish, crepes, omelets. Stainless, or disposable non-stick.

Big heavy pot aka Dutch Oven. About 8 quarts. Enameled iron or heavy copper. Best acquired second-hand, because the pressure cooker is so much faster at slow cooking, that I don't use my heavy pot as much now. But for pot roasts, oven work, or deep frying, nothing else works.

Big stockpot of aluminum, light and cheap. For big batches of stock, mass crab execution, goat's head soup. Should not pay more than $40, and it should look kind of dull and industrial. It's going to live in the basement or garage or spare closet anyway.

A couple of saucepots, 3 to 4 quarts or so. They can be cheapish or gorgeous, it hardly matters. How much "cookware performance" does it take to boil potatoes for mashing? Restaurant supply is a good bet.

If you are of slight build, look for pots with so-called "helper handles". They are out there.

Are you okay?

• Islay_Corbel
    12 years ago

Well, most of the time now I am cooking for 2 so essential for me is :
    a ceramic lined frying pan - needs no oil for healthy cooking and is better for you than teflon.
    A stick blender with the combined mini chopper - perfect for soups, sauces, mincing meat for burgers, koftas.... flavoured oils I use it every day.
    I can't cope with heavy pans and a full sized robot is too big for 2. Happy hunting!

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

This has become my all time favorite pan. I only got it last year after using one at my daughter's. I use it for everything from oatmeal to rice to stir fry to cooking veggies.
    Every time I use it I think, what a great pan. Easy to clean light weight(without the lid)...only downside is not dishwasher approved but I don't wash pans in the dishwasher anyway.
    As for what I would do to start from scratch. I would think about what I cook and how I cook it. I find myself using the same 2 or three pans almost all the time. I do have larger vessels for when i am doing holiday meals or for a crowd but day to day....I roast most all veggies on a cookie sheet in oven, use the above saucepan, and a small 1 quart for heating things.
    My cabinets could use a good re-organization and clean out.
    Good luck to you
    Murphy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-JR8782-2P-Contemporary-Nonstick-Saucepan/dp/B0000936JZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317378538&sr=8-1

• booberry85
    12 years ago

I'm going to second the All-Clad. The DH bought me a set when we were first married. They are my regular everyday cookware and they still almost look like new. I have one All clad pan that is nonstick. It's great for making omlettes, crepes, etc. 15 years and it hasn't lost its coating. The others are not non stick. It's great that they can go from stovetop to oven without a problem.

Another thing which I really like is the Flavor Wave & Nuwave ovens (I have one of each). Yes, those cheesy infomercials you see at 4 am! They really do work! No more, "I can't have this because its still frozen. It'll take forever to cook." I do like the way these things cook. It seems to be a more effective way of cooking when you don't want to heat the whole oven and a microwave or toaster oven won't do. These ovens have come in more handy than I ever thought they would. Just something to keep in mind.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Don't forget your Chicago Metallic baking pans. I got mine at TJ Maxx for half what they normally cost. Sam's Club makes a pretty good alternative to these also.

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Bumblebeez. I am coping the best I can. I will look into cast iron. I am intrigued by it, and probably just try to find something smaller, hence not that heavy.

Cathy, You probably do not know, but I am moving back to Sarasota. I am in a process of renting a place and then will take it from there. When we moved to Panama, we had a big container and took all our pots and pans. Coming back, I only took the knives, my favorite cookbooks and the juice machine. My DH was killed in a car accident in June, I did not want to stay in foreign country alone, hence me moving back to Sarasota and starting pretty much over.

Lars, if I could help it, I would really not want to start over either :-/

Arley, I have never used pressure cooker, but I will look into it. The rental place does not have very big kitchen, so I will also need to count that into when buying stuff, especially large items.

Donna, I will definitely look into drift stores and I am keeping my eye on Craigslist as well.

Thank you Johnliu for your comprehensive post. I will check out All-Clad on Amazon. It would be easier to start out with a small set that has pieces that I use and then add on but it might be smarter to just get the ones I need as I need them.

Islay_corbel, I will be mostly cooking for two too, my younger son wants to live with me for a while, he does not want his mom to be alone, how sweet is that. He is 20. Luckily we are very close to his friends, the rental place, so I will have often other young people in my house to feed as well, which I love.

Myrphy, thank you for your suggestion and link. I will definitely look into this specific pan but the manufacturer as well.

Booberry85, I am not familiar with Flacor Wave or Nuwave but I will look them up and take a look. Like I said above, one of my issues might be storage.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I look forward for more input, as everyone looks at this from different angle which makes is so much more fun and allows me to see things differently, hence learn.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I had to buy almost all new cookware last winter when I switched to induction. I had a huge amount of Calphalon that I could no longer use. I needed to watch my budget so I was shopping around and happened to go onto a Homegoods store. I found some well made pans, all safe for induction, at very reasonable prices. They were in the range of $19.99 - $49.99. I have no complaints on any of them. They all have see through lids, heavy bottoms and are SS. I also bought one of the cheap porcelain on cast iron Dutch ovens from Aldi's. (We had a good thread going on here about those) and I love that pan also.

You mention getting an induction single burner unit to try out. Chances are you will love it, so I would advise that all new pans you buy, work on induction.
    Induction cooking is fast so not only do you save on the electric bill but you also save time. I love it and would never change now. The heat is very even and I noticed right away how evenly it browns meats. Water boils very quickly, instant temperature response too.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Punamy, I am so sorry to hear about your husband!!!! I can't begin to imagine what you must be going through under the additional stress of being in Panama then having to relocate again.

My prayers are with you as you deal with all that has fallen on you; I know it's going to be a long hard road ahead. Let me know when you get settled back in Sarasota and if you would like to have lunch.

(((Cathy)))

• shaun
    12 years ago

punamytsike I'm really sorry to hear about your husband.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Punamytsike,

I am so very saddened to read of the loss of your husband. Please know you & your kids are in my prayers.

I would also like to recommend Al-Clad. Normally, I would suggest to someone they purchase individual pieces. But, Al-Clad charges an arm & a leg for their pots/pans if purchased separately. Sets are much cheaper. Then, if you find you could really use a piece that wasn't included...you can always look for that piece on ebay or craigslist.

Best wishes.

/tricia

• lsr2002
    12 years ago

Punamytsike, I am so very sorry to read about your husband. You will stay in my thoughts and prayers. I followed your blog and your husband's and thought just a few days ago that it had been a while since you posted there or here. I'm glad that your son will live with you for a while. PS, I make and love your bread.

About four years ago we decided to replace our cooktop and I bought a single countertop induction "burner" to see if I would like it. It became the first "burner" I would use and often the only one if I was just cooking two or three things for dinner, keeping the completed dishes in the toaster oven at 150ð. Most of the time I am cooking for two. It's very fast, very controllable and doesn't heat your kitchen the way a gas or electricburner would. Medical problems interfered and we didn't get the cooktop replaced until March of 2010. After a year and a half, I love it, and I still use the single unit on the deck when I am cooking something for a long time that will steam in the summer or as an extra burner.

I think that what I have also learned from using it, is that pots and pans with a heavy bottom heat the best and the most evenly. I use my Fagor pressure cooker set a lot, as regular pots and with the pressure lid. It's similar to this one that overstock has now for under $90.00:

I would shop Marshalls and TJMax and look for pots and pans with heavy laminated bottoms in the sizes that you know you will use a lot. You don't need many. The current stainless steel pots with very shinny insides (Cuisinart, Kitchenaid to name two) are very easy to keep clean - even when you occasionally burn something and have black on the bottom. I also use my cast iron frequently and I have purposefully looked for lighter weight pieces, both enameled and plain. IKEA has some very nice laminated bottom skillets with a teflon lining if you want a nonstick piece or two. Don't overlook online sources, Overstock, SmartBargains and Amazon, you can often find great prices on pices you have looked at elsewhere.

I would agree with the suggestion of a stick blender whit a mini bowl accessory, but that becomes a personal choice kind of item. Several silicone spatulas/scarpers and a silicone brush are also must haves in my kitchen. If you have room for it, a good toaster oven will save you electricity and time as they heat up super quickly, use far less electricity and are a nice size when cooking for one or two. I have had two Cuisinart toaster ovens and liked them a lot, but when I need to replace the current one, I'll be looking a Breville Smart Oven.

Please, post and let us know you are doing.

Lee, sending hugs and thoughts of peace to you and your family.

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

Lee, great minds think alike; that's the identical set as the one I linked to earlier. And the Overstock price of I have had a couple of induction 'hot plates' and they're fun; however, do know that the ones you plug in have a maximum wattage of around 1800 watts. A regular 110 volt socket can't handle much more than that. Nevertheless, it does give you an idea as to how induction behaves. However, an induction cooktop wired in place is far more powerful--the hobs on some cooktops are in the 3500-3600 watt range--so you won't have the power or responsiveness of a high-wattage item. Still, quite convenient. You can fry fish on the back porch instead of stinking up the house.

• anoriginal
    12 years ago

Gonna second or third you having cast iron pieceS. Have a collection that I have to restrain myself from expanding... unless it's something I don't already have. CI is reasonably priced when brand new, but ALL of my stuff has been found at yard sales, thrift stores, and flea markets for next to nothing. Granted a few were pretty crusty with unknown" seasoning. Once cleaned up, reseasoned, and USED OFTEN... pretty much non-stick for cooking without any liquids. They're heavy and can get really HOT... but almost indestructible.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I find myself reaching for my 12 inch non-stick skillet probably the most of any other cookware I own. It's just a cheap one from Target. I use my large dutch oven from the '80s a whole lot. It's Revere Ware with the copper bottom. I love my big Magnalite skillet too!

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I wouldnt want to it took me to finally have a well stocked,laid out kitchen,41 years ..I have good kettles,knives,pantry,no not now

• Kay
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I think this article has really sensible suggestions for setting up a kitchen from scratch. It's sort of aimed at young people starting out, but these basics would apply to anyone. It's excellent advice because they manage to keep it brief and simple. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Setting up a kitchen

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Condolences on the loss of your husband.

I agree with the restaurant supply suggestions, for lightweight, inexpensive aluminum pieces. I pull out my cast iron when I want a workout.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

carnelian, that is a neat short article. This would also be handy for setting up a summer home or if you own a summer rental that's furnished. Just the basics but oh so easy to forget. I think with those few things you could cook pretty much everything. What they forgot though was stuff like plates, glasses, silverware. If you are in need a nice stainless, Oneida on line often has wonderful sales! I got a great deal on some extra pieces to go with my old set cheaper than ebay!

You'll also need some microwavable dishes like Corning Casserole dishes, I find them at thrift shops or flea markets for about $4 as opposed to new they cost a fortune!

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

arkansas_girl, we posted at the same time. I was going to get my baking pans from Sam's as they seemed reasonably priced.

General question, how do you find restaurant supplier? Just google?

Nancy, thanks for chiming in with your induction experience. We have homegoods in Sarasota, so I will make a trip there and see what I find.

Thanks Cathy, shaun and triciae.

Lee, thank you. You reminded me that my DH was working on next stories - when I can, I will look and maybe post some more. By the way, I have used the same bread recipe to make baguettes and they come out very lovely. I have never cooked with pressure cooker, but the set you and arley are pointing out seems pretty promising.

klseiverd, I will try to find a not so heavy cast iron grilling pan. thanks.

bulldinkie, believe me, if I could, I would not be in this situation either.

carnelian, thanks for the article.

jessyf, thanks - again, how is the best way to find restaurant supply store and do they let anyone in? I would for sure love to visit one at least once.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Just google or yellow pages for restaurant supply. Here's one in Sarasota FL. (See link.)

Every one I've gone to is open to the public. But they don't provide any "service" - they are basically warehouse stores, the assumption is you know exactly what you want.

You are a courageous and graceful lady. I know you didn't ask for this new life, but I know you're going to make it a good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this one

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Do you have the GFS food stores in your area? I think that stands for Gordon Food service but anyway...they also have restaurant quality stuff at really good prices. OK so I just googled it and there's one in Bradenton on 14th street. You can just google GFS and their store locator link comes right up. They are a small store that sells packaged goods like a Sam's Club but anyone can buy their stuff. No card required at all.

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You will be in my thoughts. This just takes my breath away.

Two years ago I outfitted the galley of a very small sailboat. After two years at sea the report was that I did a pretty good job of it. I'll try to recall what I purchased or sent from my own kitchen. I made an effort to supply things that had more than one use and/or could nest for storage or were small.

Everything had to be nonferrous, nonelectric for the most part, and unbreakable as well.

Pressure cooker
    Stock pot and lid
    Collapsable silicon steamer/colander that fit neatly inside the stock pot for steaming
    2 quart thick bottom stainless pot with lid
    Enameled fry pan, could also go into the oven and the stock pot lid fit it
    Nonstick fry pan
    Large good quality chef's knife and steel
    Small utility knife
    Vegetable peeler
    Flexible cutting boards, set
    Small teflon cutting board
    Assorted baking pans, loaf, round, square, 9x13
    Broiling pan
    Mallet meat tenderizer
    Coffee grinder
    French press
    Small mortar and pestle
    Pepper mill
    Ladles
    Silicon spatulas
    Regular egg-flipper type spatula
    Bamboo spoons
    Medium sized whisk
    Batter/mixing bowl with handle - it also was melamine and had a nonskid bottom
    Set of measuring cups
    Set of measuring spoons
    Wine opener/church key
    Strainer with handle
    Several microplane graters
    Assorted herbs and spices
    Kitchen timer
    Oven gauge
    Meat thermometer
    Can opener
    Bread knife
    Kitchen shears
    Tongs
    Camping toaster
    Potato masher
    Slotted spoon
    Small blender
    Electric water kettle, there were times when they could be docked and plugged in

Additional things I would suggest for a regular kitchen:

Food processor
    Cast iron skillet
    Griddle pan, nonstick
    Grill pan, cast iron
    Ceramic pie dish
    Covered casserole dishes, oval, square, round, whatever pleases
    Bundt pan, nonstick
    Large covered saute pan
    Dutch oven
    Muffin tin
    Mixer, hand or stand
    Toaster
    Cooling racks for baked goods
    Pizza stone
    Springform pan
    Waffle iron
    Additional mixing bowls
    Outdoor grill (the boat had a small grill)
    Crock pot

Odd things I love having:

Ice cream maker
    Fish poacher
    Popcorn popper
    Canning equipment
    Crepe pan
    Pasta machine, mine is manual

I'm sure I forgot a few things that went into the boat galley but that's most of it. I also sent plastic dishes, glasses, and stainless tableware.

• punamytsike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

johnliu, thanks for the link and encouraging words.

arkansas_girl - I had not heard of those stores, but will take trip to visit one in Bradenton.

barnmom - thanks for your comprehensive list. Very useful.

All the good wishes are very much appreciated as well.

• User
    12 years ago

Punamytsike, my condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Ann

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

Punamytsike - I don't have advice to add, but just want to express my sympathy. I'm so sorry.

Sue

• compumom
    12 years ago

My heart goes out to you too. I've "known" you for many years on GW. Alhough we interacted more on other forums, I hope you stay around on the CF and share your new life in Florida.
    Good luck and happy shopping!
    Ellen

• riverrat1
    12 years ago

Pumany, I have nothing to add about outfitting a kitchen. It seems that you have some very good information above.

I want to express my sincere condolences to you and your family. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Sarasota is a beautiful place to live and I wish you all the best.