SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

my latest oops

blackcats13
14 years ago

Just thought I would share my weekend. I got sick (more sick?) of looking at the crappy laminate wood paneling in our small front entry way and decided to get started on painting it. Got the paint, washed the walls and put the primer up on Friday. Saturday morning did a 2nd coat on the areas that needed it and realized the first wall I did was so bad I was going to have to sand and start over. Exhausted and annoyed I decided I'm done for the day since I have to wait awhile for full dry in order to sand.

After a few hours I just can't help myself. There's a small rectangle over the doorway to the stairs that has to be sanded/redone, and I think, well, I wanted to take out that section of the wall anyway and open up the stair well a little. So I spend the next hour working on the paneling and trim until I can pull it off on one side. DH comes home a little later and helps with the other side. Then he hands me the hammer to start on the drywall. A couple chunks fall and I think, that doesn't sound like drywall. I pull off another chunk and see ... lathe. As in lathe and plaster!!! Well, boy did I feel stupid! The entire upstairs is drywall and we just figured (because of some other work that had been done by PO) that this would be too.

I feel soooo bad about ripping into that plaster. But, honestly, I really really do want to open the stairwell up a little, and I probably would've done so even if I'd known, but still ...

Here is a link that might be useful: little rectangle above doorway

Comments (7)