SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Adding patina to outdoor fixtures? Pic included.

fivefootzero
15 years ago

I wanted to get an opinion on our outdoor fixtures that we just had installed yesterday. When I chose these fixtures, everything I saw showed them in a much lighter, almost rusted/dark brown appearance. I loved the whimsical style of them as well. Now that they are installed, they look almost black to me. I was wondering if anybody ever tried to lighten up or add patina to a metal fixture. What I thought I could do would be to put some paint on a cloth (almost dry) and rub the edges of the fixtures to brighten them up a bit and make them a bit more rusty.

Some information that might be helpful is that our front door is a dark cranberry color, as is the storm door. The siding is light maple, and the stone is dressed fieldstone in Bucks County color...lots of browns, burgundy, and tans. On the floor of the porch we have PA Bluestone, which has blues, purples, rusty colors.

Also, do you think the garage lights are too small? Not that I can do anything about it now, but I thought they look a bit small.

Here's a picture...any and all opinions would be welcome.

I've also added a link to the photos of the actual fixtures so you can see them as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler Cotswold Light

Comments (7)